Fly Fusion Forums

Crowsnest Trip Report

dryfly

Only fished a short while on Monday (90 minutes) and again Tuesday -- about 90 minutes as well. Slowish on Monday--with operator error causing me to miss a lot of takes on TINY dry flies--20s, 22s and 24s. A half decent midge hatch actually. Yesterday in sun and NO wind, the fish were simply wired--stoopid good fishing. Used a BAW and dropper midge with the midge winning. And also fish caught on a swung backswimmer. Fish in good shape: fat, healthy and leaping all over. Was grand.

Fall colors smashing ... one good wind. :) Both from the 507 bridge.

crowsnest1158-600.jpg

crowsnest1100-600.jpg

Small muley buck near Cowley.

deer1115-400.jpg

One of Tuesday's many fish.

rainbow-0560.jpg

Taken from the 507 bridge.

trout1178-600.jpg

This rainbow opened its mouth to feed.

troutfeed1168-400.jpg

The turkeys came down to the river yesterday, so I left the river and drove up on the "lease" road and was lucky to find them and they were not too spooky. (For you camera geeks...500-mm lens)

turkey1151-600.jpg

This was on Monday. This is known locally as the "Burmis flock." There were ~ 40 turkeys on Green's pasture on the "lease" road.

turkeys1110-600.jpg

Nice Nice... was this with the new camera?

I was sure I had seen turkeys in there before as well..... But I just caught them out of the corner of my eye as I drove by and when I actually realized what they were, I was out of sight of them. Beautifull pics as usuall... I may head out there sunday if nothing else is going on. I have had some outstanding days there right around now during the last 2 years.

Thanks. Yesterday was one of those special days a guy might babble about for a long while. I only used a rod for about 90 minutes and landed many rainbows and they were feisty too.

Although I've become a BAW convert it was most interesting that the old standby midge pupae was THE fly of choice yesterday. They bypassed the BAW for the midge. Cool.

What exactly is a midge anyway?

can13-2.jpg

Midge article

Wes..yes, new camera...ROCKS! Sizzle. :)

Thanks for the link, Clive. I assume I'll be able to pick up a few of those at The Crowsnest Angler? And while I have your attention here I'd just like to say thanks and kudos for writing a great book. I've been a teacher for 15 years and if I were teaching an introductory fly fishing course, this would be my go to book. It's better written and presented than any text I've reviewed or used over the years (I teach high school science and math). I realize a chemistry and fly fishing book are not quite the same "flavour" but a book intending to teach is just that, and you've done an admirable job.

Neil

Thanks Neil. Much appreciated.

Vic will have some midges--think he sells something called a mountain midge..get as small as possible...only about 6-8 mm body. Fish it below something like a San Juan Worm of some sort.

Good luck!

Cheers!

Clive

that one s.o.b. is about 20" and the other 17-18" LOL :lol::lol::lol:

Those buggers are a tough crowd!!

If it's the same 2 daggone fish I spent 2 hours on a month ago in the same spot.......... ;)

Pssst : 8x tippet... #20 adams, and #24 midge emerger..... they both took the emerger :P

Teck: Book...sold out...used copies available at Abe Books.

MMAX .. yeah, decent fish. Ida said 17 to 19 or so. Difficult to say. Seems Hawgstoppah has been up close and personal. There have been a few rainbows along the N side riprap for years. They are mucho safe there. Water is fussy.

Hawgstoppah...you tried fishing them from standing in the river and casting back to shore? I've never tried them, but that might seem to be the plan.

Cheers!

Clive

Hawgstoppah...you tried fishing them from standing in the river and casting back to shore? I've never tried them, but that might seem to be the plan.

Clive

Clive. Waded quietly below them, around the back end of the pool, and on the north shore. Left handed cast with no wind one day, 8x tippet, I think I went to a 12ft leader. and my favorite 3wt rod layed it down quietly enough. If indeed those are the same fish, in early sept one was 20 inches, and the other a few inches shorter, about 17-18". Gorgeous fish that big one, colors are dazzling :lol: