Fly Fusion Forums

Just Wow ...

stein

That is just annoying to watch. I know that education is helpful but it just seems that some people are incapable or learning or maybe unwilling is the more accurate word.

I wonder how long that can guy can hold his breath under water, perhaps he should go try as a matter of perspective.

That is just annoying to watch. I know that education is helpful but it just seems that some people are incapable or learning or maybe unwilling is the more accurate word.

People were posting a lot of pictures over on the redneck board of trout pulled up onto the shore, including bulls. I made a post trying to explain nicely why this was bad practice and had about a 50/50 response. Some people just don't care.

• 2 weeks later...

Kay, saw this a couple weeks ago and and decided not to comment only b/c I've been around here long enough to be able to predict what kinda of response a post like this will get (borderline troll), and well,... yada yada yada it upsets me too.

I am not defending or condoning this guys behaviour in any way, but that said, beyond the expected expressions of shock, horror, anger and disgust pehaps a meaningful discussion about how our community reacts to a situation like this could possible result in some sort of productive outcome in future occurences.

Beyond the shock and emotion anyone with a sense of environmental stewardship feels when they watch this, I started thinking about how I would respond to his video on youtube (You know - where the guy will actually see it) The first thing I asked myself was simple, "Is this guy horribly indifferent or just plain ignorant". First of all he posted it on youtube, knowing people would see it - I can only assume that if he knows anything about the state of bull trout in this province, and the rules that govern the fishing of the species, and anything reagrding the best practices for handling fish he would not have posted this video. I decided I would give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he is completely ignorant of these factors, and to take it even further, even if he did flip through the regs and read a few things, perhaps he is also completely ignorant as to why bull trout is protected, and why those regulations and best practices exist in the first place.

I went to write a comment but then realized I had to register and create an account and all that jazz and I just didn't have time two weeks ago so I came back here today to link back to the video and do just that - As I had previously decided to give the fella the benefit of the doubt and approach the comment from the perspective of someone mentoring an angler who clearly need to be educated on why we do many of the things we do. I also watched his other videos and it is obvious the guy enjoys fishing and does it in different locations so, just maybe, he would be receptive to some friendly advice, that would lead into a reminder of the legal and environmental consequences of his actions if he didn't change his ways - well I read all the comments posted, and I gotta say at this point I am not even going to waste my time trying to educate him b/c he will never read beyond the first couple comments - the opportunity to intercept and educate has swirled the bowl and is now gone !

You know who benefits from flaming the hell out of the guy, it isn't the bulltrout population !!!!, the guy sure isn't learning anything, would anyone here take advice from someone who started a discussion by calling you names like that, I guess maybe the guy/gal doing the flaming feels a little better ???

As far as environmental stewardship goes, flaming that guy is as equally idiotic as his own actions IMHO. There is nothing heroic about it, and it does more harm than good. Want to be a hero of environmental stewardship, Walk into a crowd of redneck a-holes that you hate and try to educate them. Protecting the environment is only a part of the environmental stewardship equation, Education through mentoring is just as important, if not moreso, given a job well done on the later, prevents the need for the first. On a site that prides itself on promoting stewardship I often find myself dissappointed in how little effort goes into understanding what that really means, and further to that, acting in a manner commensurate with stewardship outside of this forum.......whatever.....flaming a guy anonymously is easy, whereas actually making yourself available and persuading someone to see things from your point a view probably seems like a whole lot of work eh !

rant off...

wait rant back on - Flyfishgirl - I see your new so I'll politely make a point,...fish handling skills are the product of good learning and experience - they are in no way, what-so-ever related to the type of fishing rod a person chooses to use. ;)

• Like 4

Pipes-a very well thought out and eloquent reply. As a guy who has spent far more time with a spin rod in his hand than a fly rod, I can only hope that a significant portion of the people who read your post come to realize that methodology plays almost 0 role in attitude toward the resource.

• Like 1

Thanks Peter given that he is a tourist I am going to go ahead and facebook him, - to quote PJ O'Rourke " Very little is known of the Canadian country since it is rarely visited by anyone but the Queen and illiterate sport fisherman" - this guy was clearly NOT the Queen and needs to be educated LOL

BTW - if you come skiing bring the kilster LOL - its above zero still - Saddle Pass is gonna be a slog !

Hard to watch.

Funny thing, I was out in Kelowna for the Marathon 3 weeks ago. Watching some 10 year old kids catching squawfish (northern pikeminnow) on small spoons by the marina downtown. They treated those fish with absolute care and respect, carefully unhooking them and gently returning them to the water, fish after fish.....it was amazing to watch them.

wait rant back on - Flyfishgirl - I see your new so I'll politely make a point,...fish handling skills are the product of good learning and experience - they are in no way, what-so-ever related to the type of fishing rod a person chooses to use. ;)

I've actually been thinking about that very thing all day. It was a judgemental blanket comment and I came back on here to say just that. I'm not that new to fishing. I'm 2 seasons in but two years before I started fishing I was dragged out to watch my ex fish or read a book by the water. Not to mention the conversations on this very subject I have listened in on. In my personal experience and observations the majority of what I call "fish abuse" was done by spin casters. A better observation and still slightly judgemental is that maybe the ignorant types like those in the video are probably more likely to spin a rod then put the work and care needed for the more skilful art of fly fishing. Maybe that is why I have seen what I have seen. I've heard these same complaints from other fly guys. There is good and bad in everything but from what I have seen so far, spin casters have shown less respect and connection to their catch then all the fly fishers I have encountered but those are just my experiences and I haven't seen everything. It's like anything in life, the harder you work for something, the more respect and appreciation you have for it and I am pretty sure fly fishing requires a lot more work, knowledge and skill then spin casting but maybe someone can correct me on that. More so, I think that through learning about fish ecosystems as in-depth as one must to properly fish on a fly fosters a deeper understanding for the ecosystem as a whole and understanding is what fosters deeper respect, care and appreciation overall. Those are my observations and opinions ....as narrow and blanket judgement as they are.