Fly Fusion Forums

A Bit Of Hail On The Oldman

reevesr1

Went fishing with a couple of friends on Thursday (I have the greatest job!). My client (who happens to be a friend) and I got out of Calgary later than we wanted, around 10:30 and stopped at Southbow.We were supposed to go on a float trip that day but cancelled due to poor fishing, and since Mike was going to be our guide, I asked him to join us and he said he could since he apparently had the day off! So we get out of Southbow at 11:30 or so and headed south. We made it to the river and were ready to fish around 2 PM. Picked up a few fish, and things were looking good. Then the rain hit, followed by about an hour of marble sized hail. It was pretty intense, fortunately we did not get the golf ball sized stuff they got further south, or instead of being a bit painful from time to time it could have been truly dangerous. We did have some trees to hide behind, but it was still pretty unpleasant. Fortunately for me I had decided to wear my waders, neither of the other guys did. And none of us brought our rain jackets, though we all had them in the truck. The walk out was pretty cold for me, and really, really cold for the other guys! The river was obviously blown out afterwards. Too bad, it was looking like a great day. So after 1 hr of fishing, the long drive back to Calgary. We looked at every body of water we crossed to see if it was fishable, and none of them were (maybe the Sheep). Ah well, at least I have a story. Biggest hail storm I've ever been in, that's for sure!

misccellphone012.jpg

misccellphone013.jpg

misccellphone017.jpg

misccellphone014.jpg

misccellphone016.jpg

Rick,

We were in the same storm but on the Livingstone. Some hail <>3/8". River off-color for about 1/2 hour. Fished well after the storm.

Don

I was fishin' the southern end of the Porks at the same time, never did quit fishin'. Storm slide by to the north. Found a few 13-14" cutts in a creek 3' wide... coupla gawddamned old beaver runs in the tall grass too.

Rick,

We were in the same storm but on the Livingstone. Some hail <>3/8". River off-color for about 1/2 hour. Fished well after the storm.

Don

don't think we would have been so lucky Don. It was choco milk as we crossed it on 22 about an hour after the storm ended. At least I hope it would have stayed dirty as I'd hate to think I left fish on the table, to mix a metaphor.