Fly Fusion Forums

Stauffer Creek @ Risk!!

Folks,

Why would we care? After all, it's just one creek among a land infested with trout bearing streams. [ Just a tad cynical there] But care we should. Stauffer Creek is the closest trout stream to about 1,000,000 people. It's the only spring creek in Alberta that is open to public access for much of it's length. About $ 1,000,000 has been spent repairing the damage from agriculture. It has raised fish to +10 lbs.

Some of the below is from emails sent on this subject to effected landowners.

Some history, the Clearwater is moving east and has moved about 1/2 mile or more in the past 10 years. The first move was about 500 yards @ the Clear Creek confluence. The flood of '05 moved the river upstream east as well..

The only thing that kept the Clearwater from flowing down Stauffer forever in '05 was the Butte Road. As the flow was not able to breach the road, the water flowed along it and backed up Clear Creek and down the Stauffer. This is not a big issue. BUT!!!

If the Clearwater continues to move east, it is inevitable that the Clearwater will flow down the Stauffer Creek. The cause of this is simple. All streams when they meet a low gradient area with no definable bank will slow allowing the bed of the river to drop out thereby raising the level of the existing channel until it is high enough that the river will seek a new channel. It happens everywhere and river outlets to lakes and oceans are a great example of this activity. The Mackenzie River where it enters the Arctic Ocean has a river mouth of over 150 miles in width. Every year or so it cuts a new channel to the ocean. In the Clearwater case, a flood moves the river bottom big time and where it slows, the gravel and sand drop out thereby causing the problem.

If the Clearwater goes east, it won't take long as most of the land has been cleared on the top end meaning that erosion will take place very rapidly. Once it gets down to where you are it will cut a new channel. This will take less that a week. The willows and grasses will slow it somewhat but not for long.

The real scary part is the loss of farm land, a complete change of access to schools, stores etc, a possible destruction of oil field infrastructure and so on. The river will require a number of new bridges. Further, all the bridges from headwater>the Red Deer will be gone. Some of them will be replaced quite quickly [ Highway #54 for example] while others will take years as the Govt diddles with the issue. Normal routes of travel will be disrupted.

The biggest problem as I see it is the County's approach. They are seeing only the loss of Rauch's as an issue. Not the larger global issue of everything else downstream that will be effected. Of course, little of the effected area will be in the Clearwater County as the Red Deer County is only 5 miles east.

The big issues are:

* water pollution as the river eats a new channel - both Red Deer City and Medicine Hat will be be effected

* oil field production fluids in the water after pipelines/field facilities etc are destroyed

* loss of land from the along the new channel

* increase in water flow of 50% in the Red Deer River will have profound effects on both Red Deer City and Medicine Hat use of the river flats for both recreation and housing.

The Dept. of Environment's response doesn't much surprise me. They always wanted to take the Clearwater to the Red Deer to further irrigation in SE Alberta. Here's their chance. Do nothing and let nature take it's course. Of course, then the Balzac mega mall will have enough water.

OK - what is the situation now?

1] The Clearwater is backing up into Clear Creek and down Stauffer. This only happened in 1971, 2005 and 2007. 1971 was a major flood year and was 2005. 2007 - well a little bit larger than normal but nothing to get excited about. The issue is the Clearwater is breaching it's banks readily and Stauffer & Clear Creek are suffering and it's not going to get better.

2] The County and Dept. of En. are now arguing - a lot - mostly about money - like who pays? Meanwhile the situation gets worse. The Province should be doing what it can - no surprise that it isn't. Different drivers for the province. Irrigators and mega-malls. No surprise that trout streams lose!!

catch ya'

Don

i can't see the government doing anything on this issue.

look at the shameful situation with the education system in this province. we are the richest prov in the land and our children's education is totally underfunded and SNAFU'd.

and the healthcare situation is as bad if not worse.

if the government cannot properly govern when it comes to such important matters like education and healthcare how on earth would they be able to do anything about an issue like the natural moving path of a river. and should they? maybe yes maybe no. what's more important to the population as a whole?

it's going to be very interesting to see the outcome of the by-election in Calgary Elbow on monday (klein's old riding). if the conservatives lose maybe it'll be a sign that people are starting to understand that a government with no plan, no vision, no understanding, no respect and frankly a lot of mlas/ministers that couldn't properly organize a bj in a whore house is a bad idea.

this province's policital system is in a bad way. is there any alternative to the pcs? can the liberals field a government? can any other party? would any other party be any different in gov't or would it be like the federal stage where the conservatives are every bit as self interested, liars and show a lack of respect to the public as the liberals before them? are there any qualified people interested in getting into politics in alberta? does the population view the whole election as a fait 'accompli for the PCs every time and thus don't really care and therefore don't vote? will we every have represtentation by population in alberta?

just wondering if this is due to human or natural causes? if its a natural process that rivers migrate and mix together then i dont think we should be doing anything about it, lettin nature run its course is always best. If, though, the migration of this river and possible invasion into stauffer creek is due to human influences that sure is a sad thing to see happening.

Think of the devastation caused by the Oldman River Dam. We lost the lower Crow, Castle and upper Oldman; 3 of the best trout streams in North America. Even if this new situation is natural, can we afford to put in jeopardy 5 more rivers...all in 1 shot? If this happens we will loose the lower Clearwater, Clear Creek, both the North and South Ravens and the Red Deer tailwater. Let's hope something can be done to prevent this.

Hi All,

I just returned from Caroline after waiting to see if my cabin was going to get flooded again. Arbutus Rd. the county road looks like a causeway going across the middle of a lake. My understanding is that the problem is being caused by the breaching of 2 weirs- one at Camp Worthington Air Cadet Camp and another in the Clear Creek area. The p*ssing contest between levels of Govt is over who is going to fix them and then who will maintain them. They have decided to have a meeting to discuss this. Doesn't that make everybody feel better.

Regards Mike

Mvdoaq,

Flooding is a natural process. But man meddles in natural processes all the time. We control our home, work and car environments by the application of heat, light, air conditioning, we suppress or put out fires, we immunise people, we place kids in car seats, we control behavior by laws covering nearly everything. Hell, some of us even drag kids out of the way of on-coming traffic. Not sure man can resist meddling. But because we meddle, some folks live that would have died. Nope, make that a lot of folks. If Ontario hadn't contained SARS, it is unlikely that this conversation would have taken place. So I guess, I'll continue to meddle.

regards,

Don

Some Pictures of the Stauffer Creek & Clear Creek area taken while touring a photographer from the Red Deer Advocate newspaper for a story on the problem which will be published early next week.

June 4 is directly downstream of B for W bridge while taking a bug sample.

June407.jpg

June 10 - same location

IMGP0890w.jpg

June 10 for both of below pictures - first one looking west down Clear Creek. The second looking east up Clear Creek.

Clear-creek-west-side-of-Ar.jpg

Clear-creek-east-side-of-Ar.jpg

A view of the flooding looking south from the Clear Creek to Clearwater River confluence. Note whirlpool on right side of photo. This is where the Clearwater is entering Clear Creek. The culvert sizes are what is limiting the flow.

looking-south-from-Clear-Cr.jpg

Guest Troutbabe

Ohh, it sounds like it's getting worse!!!

This can't happen, there's too much history with our Stauffer.

I even lost my virginity there, my flyfishing virginity that is.

Mr. Brown Trout was that lucky one! ^_^

T.babe

Tbabe,

Remember me? I was the guy taking a short cut when I stumbled on the antics. Best I recall, the targets kept the mosquitoes busy for some time.

Sure do miss them city folks. Used to stumble on antics quite often. Rarely anymore - don't know what happened. Maybe the FF types of today are just to involved to bother with the niceties of life.

catch ya'

Don

Any followup Don? The news has been all but silent on this issue... Any sandbagging required - any help we can muster? It's all well to point to the problem (and don't misunderstand this post - it's important to let people know) but is there anything we can do but complain to politicians once the river has moved? Are there any local efforts that we can support with added manpower? I was ready to drive down this am with rubber boots and a shovel - but that's a lot of country to cover...

Well, I just want to say, job well done to everyone who worked fixing this problem out there. I fished Stauffer on Friday and to my surprise it was back to it's old self again. Thanks to the Kim Nielsen and other County officials. And thanks to Don Anderson for being the first to warn us of this potential catastrophe. We all need to keep banging on Alberta Environment for a permanent fix to this problem. Thanks guys.

Guys/Gals,

Things are not back to normal. The Clearwater River has been rerouted to a previous channel by the County. The rerouting is temporary and the river will again head east on the next high water. Do recall that the County work took place <150 m3/s. 2005 flow was >600 m3/s. Meantime the Province dithers and evades responsibility by suggesting they just determine the danger but are not prepared to do anything about it.

Unless the pressure is kept up on the Province, nothing further will happen. So what are YOU going to DO?

Will be contacting the County for disaster relief for the lands held jointly by the ACA, TU and AF&G on the headsprings.

I'm sure Barry Mitchell and Dave Jensen are aware of the problem. You'll have to contact them for their take on the issue.

Don

So what are YOU going to DO?

My humblest appologies, but this is how I feel

Nothing. It is a shame mother nature reclaimed and made the creeks run the path she wants. But with all the problems the alberta government has right now and no money to fix things, I dont want to draw attention away from other more important problems that havent been looked at in years. From death comes re-birth. I'm sure everything will be fine if left alone. And your calling disaster relief for the headwaters, miles from where the problem is? How about disater relief for those who were immediately affected by this, and will never get it.

Time to rally volounteers and do it yourself, dont whine to the government expecting them to do something for ya. My tax dollars going to pay for 8-10 peoples concern on a river where the environmental impacts have not yet been determined. So, every 2-50 years, put the dyke back up like they did this year, and move on.

I have fished Stauffer, and the clearwater, very nice rivers.

Ontario Steelheader and TU member.

Time to rally volounteers and do it yourself, dont whine to the government expecting them to do something for ya.

Steelhead;

Whoa. Back up for a second. No one has a problem with you disagreeing here. Totally ok. You make a valid point.

But you've crossed the line here calling Don a whiner and insinuating that he just complains without action. Do you know who the heck yer talking too? Do you know what Don A has done for Alberta fisheries? Don's been making noise, spending time, spending his own money, volunteering a colossal amount of effort since I was a kid. He may make noise, but that's because he's trying to create awareness, and hell, you know what, after all these years of breakin his back to create and enhance trout fisheries for all the REST of us, he's earned some right to "whine" (as you put it.)

Like I said, I support your right to disagree. but I consider your tone somewhat disrespectful and unbecoming. If your apologies were truly "humble" I think you would of found a different way of stating your otherwise valid opinion.

Smitty

no problems with Don here. Good (excellent) Job on his part. Thanks for our trout fisheries.

I dont agree with him calling disaster relief for an area of river where no humans were or thier livelyhood were affected. The headwaters will never change course and feed everything below them. Its not a disaster if fish can still reach these headwaters. With these 2 rivers colliding, they still can. Its a simple fix like pushing the gravel back up into a dyke, something that happens all over this province and country yearly. Or soak more money out of the government crying disaster and getting a huge project going to fix a problem, only for the river to continue carving its way to where it wants to go, through the bigger project, unless its made of very thick and expensive concrete and runs for 3 KM's. Then your back to piling up a gravel dyke every 2-50 years. If it was full of cutts and bulls, i'm all for it. TJ

With Don's persuasion with the government, you would think he would rally for more money to give to our fisheries as a whole, and not just small projects in his area. Hes done alot for trout, but not our overall fishery. I never heard of him helping sturgeon, pike, whitefish and walleyes. How about saving the fish in our whole province for us (ALL SPECIES, not just trout)? If you can get a bit of money for one small area calling disaster, you could get enough for the whole province by doing the same thing. I think this province is a disaster

Steelhead