Fly Fusion Forums

Best Reel In The $200-$300 Range

I have an Ir4 ,not large arbor.its full with my 5 wt line on it. its my go to reel on my Z 5wt, balances perfict.

And they can be had for under $300

I think thats the point! Spend an extra 200 and buy one... You'll always be able to find somebody to pay $300 for it.. After a few years those others are $50 reels

Guest JBear
I have most of the reels on your list, the best one in the bunch for longevity and quality would be the 4200.

Jbear what specifically dont you like about the Rises

Upon reeling in, the spool grinds with the reel which bothers me a lot. Always on the upper edge (if that makes sense to you), like also goes into the grooves all the time on the spool, so it jams up, and also had the drag completely undo on me while fighting a fish, multiple times, usually when there is a very short powerful burst/run from a fish. Needless to say i F***ing love back lashes. :$*%&:

August sale, Edmonton, I wonder which store LOL.. I think a lot of people are saying none of the above. If I was going to spend $300, I would certainly look at an IR4 which would also be on sale.

Mike

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

jbear - sounds to me like some one dropped their reels on the rocks or as i have seen more often it hit the showroom floor when some one was eye humping it.

the drag on the other hand is a doozy...but you have a warranty on it so send it in.

I know this one isn't on your list either but I would assume "they" would have it on sale too. I have a Pflueger on my 4wt and I absolutely love it. Fought some 20"+ fish on the Bow with it like a champ. No problems at all so far and the drag is really smooth. Really purdy as well.... Got it for just over $100.

At the time, I almost bought an Amundson, which I was glad I didn't. Friend's brand new one had the drag crap out on him at Fortress lake, 26km from the nearest road. Good thing he didn't catch any of the big boys or he might have been in some trouble. ;)

Cheers

Guest JBear
jbear - sounds to me like some one dropped their reels on the rocks or as i have seen more often it hit the showroom floor when some one was eye humping it.

the drag on the other hand is a doozy...but you have a warranty on it so send it in.

It's odd, because usually my reels that have been screwy have been dropped on rocks, but my rises havn't been used very hard, and are in wicked condition. My okuma helios on the other hand, has been dropped, and is dented and scratched up, but it still performs like new!

My rise is 6 years old, not sure if the warranty is still on that..

Just my 2 cents. I bought a new hardy ultralight 7wt came with rio gold line. It was under $300 after shipping and taxes. If I remember right around $275. Beautiful reel amazing price.

Have the Hardy Ultralight 5. Same comment as above.

I know these reels aren't on your list either but I absolutly Love my Allen reel... Fantastic reels... Amazing price and Amazing quality... check them out... http://www.allenflyfishing.com/

I have the trout 5/7 which i beleive is now called the model 2... large arbor spools and a great carbon disc drag system... I get asked about my reel all the time when people see it for the first time... guys at the fly shop couldn't beleive how much I paid for it...

I know its not a islander reel but its an amazing reel when You fish on a budget... Half the time when You buy some of the reels on your list all your doing is paying for the name... in my opinion anyways...

For fit, finish, workmanship and most importantly the warranty. And given your choices, I don't think you can beat the sage 4200. Just not sure I'm in love with the way the spool attaches with that o-ring system.

Went into Fish Tales to have another look at a sage 4200 and ended up walking out with one for my four weight. So I guess I'm ok with the spool retention system after all :D

Geez how did that even happen? :huh:

Save your money and spend it on gas to go fishing more... get a cheaper reel. I dont have anything fancy but never wanted anything more or felt the reel had anything to do with the way I was fishing. I dont use the drag on a reel and its just there to hold some line while Im fishing and helps to reel in some slack line once in a while... never even thought about why Id ever need a different reel (orvis battenkill). Had it for years no issues, cheap, and does the job

• 6 months later...

Well, I just thought I'd update this thread.

I never did end up buying a reel during the much anticipated sale.

But I have received a Cabela's gift card for Christmas, and was thinking of still getting a new one. Based on everyone's advice, I have expanded my horizons the makes and models. Of course, I'd be leaning towards whatever stock Cabela's carries, but I could always sell the gift card and go with anything.

So I have kinda-sorta ranked the reels based on people's advice:

1. Hardy Ultralite DD

2. Islander IR 3/4

3. Sage 4250

4. Lamson: Konic- Velocity-Litespeed

5. Bauer - BVK - Allen

Anyways, here's my query:

Any further thoughts or updates? I say this, because I am planning to go the Flyfish Expo in Cowtown at the end of the month, and I'll be hunting for deals.

Cheers,

Smitty

Mike,

Just another reminder that of the ones you list, all are made off shore (and assembled in the USA) except the lslanders and Bauers which are (totally) made in Canada and the USA respectively... If you are at all concerned about quality, that is...

Mike,

Just another reminder that of the ones you list, all are made off shore (and assembled in the USA) except the lslanders and Bauers which are (totally) made in Canada and the USA respectively... If you are at all concerned about quality, that is...

Wrong...Lamson is made in the USA. Get your facts straight before spewing BS

I have both the Hardy and Sage reels on your list. While both are great reels, I Ike the Hardy the most. For the price point you can't beat it. Hardy also has come out with a black ultralite dd reel this year. Looks sharp. May have to roll up my loose change for one.

Unless you buy used, I'm not sure you can pick up an Islander for under $300.