Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Whites

I've seen a few pics around of some lake whites. I have always wondered about these fish as fly rod game, but never got around to it.

So, any tips?

I saw them once in spring cruising in schools near the top in pretty shallow water (that is what got me thinking about them). Can you fish them at other times?

I figured a chiro and bobber would do the trick, but I'd take any advise otherwise.

Might check this out this year.

Conor,

Unlike the ice fishing zoo, you'll have the lake to yourself when fishing for lake whites. They are readily caught on chironomids or caddis nymphs. What us tough to do though is releasinge them The warm water of the southern lakes seems to exhaust them and it's really tough getting them going. Can be done, just gotta take your time. Great fun catching 2>5 lb. whites on nymphs.

regards,

Don

Conor,

Unlike the ice fishing zoo, you'll have the lake to yourself when fishing for lake whites. They are readily caught on chironomids or caddis nymphs. What us tough to do though is releasinge them The warm water of the southern lakes seems to exhaust them and it's really tough getting them going. Can be done, just gotta take your time. Great fun catching 2>5 lb. whites on nymphs.

regards,

Don

And if they don't release, they can be pretty damn tasty after a trip to the smoker. C&R lake whitefish fishin' is sorta like C&R perch fishin'....no real benefit.

Bobber fishing works pretty well. Chironomids, scuds and caddis pupae have worked for me. In the really shallow stuff you can just strip pheasant tails in front of them. Pretty good fight if the fish want to head back to deep water

Guest Dust1n
If you can hit a lake with drakes they can be great on the dry. Sylvan is great for that in the evenings around late June - early July.

x2 I like to target the sandy bays in late summer-fall using indacators and Cronimids. The mouths of the marinas are awesome places to get them without indacators and just use Floating line with a Bh nymph! Their a ton of fun on the 4wt

x2 I like to target the sandy bays in late summer-fall using indacators and Cronimids. The mouths of the marinas are awesome places to get them without indacators and just use Floating line with a Bh nymph! Their a ton of fun on the 4wt

How deep are you guys fishing while you work the indicators?