Fly Fusion Forums

Fluorocarbon

Bigtoad

Looking to pick up some Rio Fluoroflex plus tippet before my trip at the end of the month to Manitoba (and those persnickety Stauffer browns too) but I'm trying to find the stuff for under $14.95 a spool. I've checked ebay and it's pretty similar. Looking probably for a 1x, 3x, and 4x or 5x.

Any suggestions for where to get the stuff cheaper? Do you think the stuff is worth the $15 ???

Cheers.

Looking to pick up some Rio Fluoroflex plus tippet before my trip at the end of the month to Manitoba (and those persnickety Stauffer browns too) but I'm trying to find the stuff for under $14.95 a spool. I've checked ebay and it's pretty similar. Looking probably for a 1x, 3x, and 4x or 5x.

Any suggestions for where to get the stuff cheaper? Do you think the stuff is worth the $15 ???

Cheers.

No, not worth $15. Go to basspro, buy the seaguar spool, that will last you 10 years for $10. I haven't had any problem with that seaguar regular line. I don't think the leader material worth much more and make much different.

http://www.seaguar.com/seaguar-community/f...-q-and-a.htm#05

1x 3x ... 5x is kind of misleading. should look the diameter instead. Something like this.

Strength (lb) 3 4 5 6 8 10 12

Diameter (in) .07 .08 .09 .10 .11 .12 .13

...............1x 3x ... 5x is kind of misleading. should look the diameter instead..................

Actually, the X value is related to the diameter. Subtract the X value from 11 and you get the diameter in thousanths of an inch. Also, the tippet material you typically pay $12 to $14 for one spool is stronger, for the same diameter, than the bulk stuff. Terry

I bought a spool of trilene 6 lb and it's all I use for fly to fly or lengthening leaders. The strength is incredible and i haven't been losing very many flies, can pull out of alot of sticks and rocks. I'll be using trilene from now on.

Pm sent. Thanks Don.

Another couple Q's that I have:

1. I've heard fluoro sinks quite a bit? Can I still use it for smaller dries?

2. Can you use a surgeon's knot to tie mono directly to fluoro?

Bigtoad,

I use Floro on lakes. Some ramdom thoughts/experiences.

1] Some florors are stiffer than others resulting poor presentation

2] Floror will cut mono - see {1]

3] Floro spinning line - Vanish for example is 0.002 or greater in OD than leader material

4] I use Vanish as a "transition" between the mono and floro materials

5] Floror sinks but it's not lead covered. It sinks slowly. Will it drag down a dry fly - well kinda.

6] Floro is only useful in heavily fished waters with more cautious fish. Mountain Cuts need not apply.

Is it worth the money. Yes, if you use the better quality tippet material and fish in clear water lakes c/w cautious fish.

I use mono for stream work.

Like most things in life, your milage will vary however I generally fish 120 days/year and been doing it for 30 years.

regards,

Don

I use Berkley Transition (it's gold) for lake fishing. 10lb test stuff gets used most of the time. I just use it for the last couple of feet before the flies.

I just tie it to mono with a cinch knot....completely against proper fly fishing rules....fish don't know the rules or care.

When indicator fishing you don't want fluorocarbon between the fly line and the indicator. The line sinks and makes hook setting more difficult as you first have to drag the line out of the water, and then the indicator.