Fly Fusion Forums

Rio Grand Vs Rio Gold

Garlicmarshmellow

I have both lines on different rods... So I don't know how much help I'll be...

I have Grand on my 6 wt FLi (Fast action) but don't like it as much as GPX (both are weighted about a 1/2 a wt heavier, but the grand has a longer head - which actually roll casts better, but I prefer the GPX for my casting stroke)...

I have Gold on all (if not most) of my medium/fast action rods (all three of my 4 weights and my wife's 4 wt) and like it. I also have the Rio trout specialty on my medium action rod (3 wt)...

Best thing to do is call around to see if a shop has them loaded up and cast both with your rod. You are welcome to come over and throw my 6 wt Grand if that is the wt you are looking for...

P

Guest JBear

I wouldnt buy a pfleuger.... like cheeler said, drag is very questionable and weak. Along with the thing free spooling ever now and then... I've had one in a 4wt size(sold it, thank god) and a 9wt size. Definitely better reels for the money out there.

I have both the Rio Grande and the Gold, and I'd recommend the Gold over the Grande as a better all around line, but I'd also recommend the SA GPX over either. I have a set of Trions and they are a bit heavy, but other than that I have no complaints. Streamside markets the same reel under their brand name, and in my limited experience the spools are interchangable. As others have said, though, there are better reels out there for the money. I'd look long and hard at the Lamson Konic, which is both lighter and has a more robust drag system.

• 2 years later...

EB, as far as the lines go, depends on your rod and what you want it do.

As Uber says, the Grande lines are heavier by a half a size. Heavier froward too.

I have a medium fast 5 wt, that I run a 4 wt Grande line on. It is happier and casts better with this set up, than it did with a 5 wt line. (for me)

Some guys go the other way and run Grande lines on very fast rods so they can feel the rod load better.

Best thing to do is take your rod down to FT and let Kurtis to lend you a reel and spool with both lines strung and you can go out to the street and try them.

You will soon know which line works better for you.

As far as the Trion goes, a friend has one and has had no trouble with it, 3 seasons in. It is quite heavy however for sure. Lamson, Naulitus, Galvan are all in the 'buy and forget' category.

Redington Rise could be one to look at too, it's in the Trion price range, or close.

That said, another friend who is the original ham fisted bodger has an Okuma SLV 56 and has been beating on it for 3-4 seasons, and it STILL runs fine, and it cost well under a hundred bucks. For a cast reel, it's tough and the spools are really affordable....and it weighs half what a Trion does.

The rio grand is basically the same line as the gold but with 0.5 extra line weight to help casting.

I switch from the gold to the rio perception last year (when i broke a line), and prefer that over both the gold and grand.

All rio lines are great choices. Comes down to personal preference.

I have the Grand on my 7wt and the Gold on my 3 and 5wt. I had it on my 6wt as well, but switched it to the indicator line for nymphing as that is what I do the most with it. I find that the indicator line really turns over those weighted/multiple fly rigs a little easier than the Gold did.

Because the action on the 7wt is so fast, I am considering taking the Grand down to a Gold this year, or even switching it to a streamer tip as the only thing that I do with my 7wt is chuck streamers with it.