Fly Fusion Forums

Fly Fishing Gloves?

I was out this morning for a couple of hours and decided to leave after I couldn't feel my fingers anymore.

I was fishing 10 min and standing with my hands in my pockets for 10 min and so on.

Does anyone have any recomendation for gloves or other hand warming devices?

Normally I would just suck it up, but this morning was a bit too much for me.

thanks

Greg

I do the same thing every spring and late fall. Significant time is spent warming the hands in colder weather. Unfortunately, fly fishing requires the need to manipulate line with exposed fingers, which makes them vulnerable to the elements. This is the reason that I now fish only the afternoon hours at this time of year.

I like wool gloves, used them for 30 years, have a pair without fingers that suit me, nice thing about wool is it stays warm even if wet. Good idea also is to keep an extra pair of dry gloves handy in your pack and pocket warmers. Goes a long way to having a more comfortable day. Tried some of the hi tec ones but still love good old wool.

I've been running the Kleenguard g40 polyurethane gloves. They're super thin but help cut the wind. I get them for work but I just wanted something that would still allow enough mobility while fishing. They seemed to do the job. I think you can usually get them at Marks for a few bucks a pair.

Thanks for the tips. I have opted for a discontinued pair of neoprene gloves that were on clearance for $10. I cut a couple of the finger tips off so that I could use them. I couldnt justify to myself $50.00 for gloves that Ill use a few times a year. Now its warmed up and I haven't had to use them yet.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Greg

I like fleece gloves with thumb and two fingers (right hand) and thumb and one finger(left) removed. For the same reason that Lornce likes the wool, but with the added advantage that the fingers can be cut off without the rest unravelling. Also, when they get wet they are easily wrung out, and still warm. Also cheap. MEC had em for about $9

I recently started only cutting half way round the finger part, and tucking the end part back into the glove - on real cold days, gave the option of putting the finger back into the tips.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i really like my older simms but that new one look BOSS with the big strap on it, the small velcro was my only complaint on the old ones

Here is a picture of the gloves that I purchased and modified. You may be able to notice that I sealed the fingers that I cut with aqua seal. It doesn't really look all that pretty but it definately will help the ends from fraying or splitting.

post-4051-1334710471.jpg

Here is another picture of the same glove.

I had the opportunity to use these gloves today. I went down to the river about 8:30 am, fished until about 11. I had to clean the ice from my guides several times. I was very pleased with the gloves. I had to rerig a few times and I found that they did not really inhibit my ability to tie on flies. I would not have been able to fish that long this morning without them. I went for lunch and then went back to the river and spent all afternoon on the water. The gloves did get wet but I found them to be quite warm even when wet. When I took them off at the end of the day one of my hands looked like a prune because the glove got fairly wet, but still warm.

I would recomend this to anyone on a budget. Very effective.

Thanks

Greg

post-4051-1334710813.jpg