Fly Fusion Forums

What I've Been Up To The Last While.. Taking Pics Of The Night Sky

As per Taco's request...

I've always had a passing interest in astronomy and telescopes, but never really got into it much. A few months ago, I noticed Jupiter was quite prominent in the sky, and figured I'd try and take a picture of it. When I did, I also photographed it's 4 largest moons.. although I didn't know it at the time. Things went from there.. and it kind of turned into an obsession again. The last few months I've been reading and researching like crazy about astrophotography, telescopes, etc. Trying my best to take pictures of things.. Some turn out well.. most don't. Still haven't gotten myself a decent telecope, but I did pick up a set of Celestron Astromaster 15x70 astro-binoculars. It's AMAZING how much more you can see with just a good set of binos.

Anyways.. here's a few of the best pictures I've taken so far IMO. They're not the greatest, but considering I'm just starting out and am just using a Canon EOS Rebel T3i with a regular 250mm zoom lens on a tripod, they're not too bad either! It's amazing when you're taking pictures of DSO's (deep space objects) with high zoom, how fast you start to see star trails due to the earth's rotation. You need to have a camera mounted on a good telescope with a quality equatorial mount with tracking ability to get anything that even remotely resembles what you see in the books & magazines.. Also it's very difficult to get good quality pictures in a city of a million people.. the light pollution is as bad as it gets.

The Moon at 250mm zoom (cropped):

TheMoon2.jpg

The Moon at 400mm zoom (cropped):

TheMoon1.jpg

Moon & Venus Conjunction:

MoonandVenusConjunction.jpg

And this is a 30 second exposure of the ISS (International Space Station) flying straight overhead:

ISSflyover.jpg

A couple of the lunar eclipse we just had:

LunarEclipse1.jpg

Unfortunately was pressed for time and had to take them from my deck.. stupid power lines were in the way!

LunarEclipse2.jpg

Jupiter and it's 4 Galilean moons:

Jupiterandmoons.jpg

The Orion Nebula (for those familiar with the Orion Constellation - this is zoomed in on the middle star of the 3 stars that make up the hilt of the sword, below the belt) You can start to see the "star trails" in this picture, and I believe it was only a 4 second exposure (maybe 5):

OrionNebula.jpg

And I almost forgot.. the Pleiades star cluster (some people confuse this with the little dipper):

IMG_1706.jpg

Hope you enjoy them!

Very cool Ryan!

I remember when I took "Stars for Studs" (Astronomy) during my 1st undergrad and took photos of the sun (with a mylar lens). It was super cool - you could make out sun spots! We also figured out how old the universe was (The formula that is used is amzingly long - you had to measure the change in the distance a particular star had moved over a period of time [photo taken at two different times - I can't recall exactly but something like 100 years apart]). If I recall correctly the universe is something like 14 billion years old!!

P

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

amazing shots, i remember doing the star streak photos back in the day with my old K1000. Cant wit to see more

Ryan, those shots are spectacular! I have discovered that I also have an interest in the stars and planets. A couple of years ago, my wife bought me an inexpensive telescope so that I could watch the stars with my two Grandaughters. I also discovered that I know nothing about the heavens, but I do have an interest, not a passion like yourself.

Murray

I bought the star walk app for the ipad, learnt a lot and use it when I teach the Space Unit to the grade 9's. Does an amazing job of telling you which star is which, constellations, asterims, planets and their rise and setting times. Also find it helpful as a solunar calendar for fishing.

Great Shots Ryan, I will invite you next year to do a presentation on the images you captured and how you did it. Would really interest a lot of students. I could introduce you as Dr. Birchy

J

Nice captures Birchy, any recommendations on places/perches outside of the city to get some "non-polluted"shots?

I cannot.. because I haven't actually taken any pictures from anywhere but my backyard and the park across the street yet! haha I was thinking maybe somewhere out by Bragg Creek.. if I find anything, I'll let you know. Everything I've read so far says to contact the local astronomy clubs for info.. which I'll probably be doing soon.

@BiggyJ - I would probably do it if you asked me.. but I think there's quite a few people that would be a LOT more qualified than me to speak on the topic! I'm just a beginner!

• 2 weeks later...