Fly Fusion Forums

Worms On The Bow P.s This May Suck!

Just got off of the bow half an hour ago and it was a slaughterfest, whites were going crazy for the worm. Worm was almost identical to the one in question, about 20 hookups and a bunch to hand. I didnt have any issues with hooking the fish in the eye or anything, worst thing i had was a snag in the pectoral fin with the dropper nymph.

Had a big white damnear hit my backing today, i was suprised, they are fighting like mad right now.

What are cooking spaghetti on the river now with that colander?

the worms you seek will go right threw those holes you need a screen

or seen.Aquatic worms are red and have very skinny translucent bodies , there cousins earthworms are fatter and brown.

I'm surprised every time i look into the worm bins at fly shops and theres always that bait hook.

Myself I've gouged a few eyes out with that hook when it first came out and have switched to a small gape streamer hook ever since.

we've talked about this before and i can't remember who posted it but someone makes a better hook then the bait hook.Not sure who makes it.

AND U STILL FISH IT?

If you're concerned about english bait hooks braining / gouging eyes, try:

1) circle hooks: http://www.gamakatsu.com/catalog/octo_circle.htm

check the regular fishing section of any tackle supply shop and look for octopus hooks. I also use these for streamers, stingers, nymphs and anything else I feel might work.

2) as mentioned in a previous post, put a kerby or reverse bend in the hook -- twist the hook out to the side 25 degrees in the vice or w/ pliers.

Flyfishy- try turning over half submerged rocks along the river at the last fish creek parking lot. I was flipping rocks there yesterday looking for olives, and found a half dozen worms. All about 1.5" reddish brown.

I use the normal style bait hook, and I don't think I have ever hooked a fish through the eye. I wouldn't worry about it. If it keeps happening there is a reason other than the hook type. I'd guess using a dropper is way more harmful to fish, but even that is not that significant.

Happy Easter. Hope you enjoy your dinner and family day. Appreciate your constructive comments about the worm. Still looking for a picture of a Bow Sanjuan (live one). This may seem over done but to be a pro fly person you have to tie exactly what the trout are eating; size, shape, colour. Basic rules of being a fly nut.

I'm heading out Wednesday to nail a live sanjuan worm and a trout combo. Then I'll come home and tie a worm up. Here are some of my the colours - I'll match the colour hatch when I find the live worm. I'll send full pics - awfully stoked about netting the worm to tie up - still don't believe its not bright red. Any members have a style of sanjuan they'd like to share?

post-3881-1334006194.jpeg

After being out screening the river it took a lot longer than I expected to find these worms. Nailed these babies at the tail of a pool (in the slower water) after spending much time in the ripply water where I found all other kinds of specimens. The size, shape, and colour was varied (1/2 inch to 3 inch). These must be sanjuan worms - to me they look like earthworms. When tying this worm it looks like anything goes.

Sorry the pic 's hiding , actually 15 more like that !

Full Edided this part!!!

With almost 200 people viewing my pic of the worms I am quite disappointed that only 2 people responded to it. I know most people fish worms on the Bow and that's all I get?

I was quite proud to share the info I discovered with the team. Hope your flies look like these worms. Happy fishing!

Guest JBear

The fish chow on those after the water comes up after a rain. Something on a size 4-6 hook thats claret/brownish red always does the job.