Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Fishing And Hard Water Fishing

cdock

Could be a blast..... lower k first ice eh kyle..... are you one of those guys who heads out on like 3 inchs? just curious "not that theres anything wrong with that" (now wheres a jerry seinfeld emoticon when ya need one) I just am a little more of a wuss.... I like 6" or more

Could be a blast..... lower k first ice eh kyle..... are you one of those guys who heads out on like 3 inchs? just curious "not that theres anything wrong with that" (now wheres a jerry seinfeld emoticon when ya need one) I just am a little more of a wuss.... I like 6" or more

don't we all

i can do the big vat of Tim Hortons travel coffee. i only have one rod but i do have a hand auger. sounds like more of a party than fishing. can't wait.

I have a couple/few rods somewhere and I imagine I could provide a small bbq.... we should try and make a plan for this.... might as well wait a bit though as its gonna be a couple months before the ice is ready..... That and I am trying to push back thoughts of winter.....

Guest bigbadbrent

you only need a permit if you have something like over a dozen ppl or something

ohh and rusty, of all the people to go after for fishing sanjuans.....me? really?

yes, 3 inches of ice at first ice is all I need. And yes, I will go out first :lol:

i'm not offering body heat, just an extra sleeping bag if Kyle goes through.

prizes for biggest fish, most fish and smallest fish

i say smallest, only because that is usually what i end up with ;)

i might be able to come up with some prizes. maybe we could hit up SJW for a few FFC logo'd items?!?

it isn't a derby if it just a bunch of friends with a bbq and shooting the sh*t is it?

Esleech - if you need a scouting partner i'm good to go

ice chart

maybe do some research before you open that mouth of yours, 3 inches of black(clear) ice is perfectly safe. Ice picks, lifejackets and a throw rope should also be brought with incase the worst does happen.

:mellow:

You're correct in that statement Kyle.. the only problem is we rarely see black clear ice anywhere in Canada with all the wind and debris blown onto the water. Also, just because the ice is 3 inches in one spot.. doesn't mean it's 3 inches everywhere. Underwater springs and currents make the ice very unstable in places.

Although I'm sure you know this.. alot of the guys probably just didn't agree with your generalization.

I always go out on ice that's thinner than probably safe too (and fallen through more times than I can count)... so i'm not raggin on ya... just saying what the rest of the guys are probably thinking.

(and fallen through more times than I can count.)

And you went out on thin ice again? You're wacko man, cold water freaks me out, never mind ice. I don't go on it till it's 30", but then it's always in a warm vehicle. :P

snobear_bottomleft2.jpg

http://www.snobearindustries.com/

This is what a guy needs for ice fishin. I saw this on Bob’s show this weekend. Pretty cool vehicle, raises and lowers on top of a hole you drill from inside the unit. Ice fishin for wimps.

Yeah, but in general Kyle's right. 3" is plenty.

I always wear a lifejacket and carry picks and a rope - just in case. Would not be pleasant to go through at that time of year.

Walking on 3" of good ice is way safer than some of the wading I've seen.