Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Fishing And Hard Water Fishing

cdock

Anyone here keep fishing the Bow throughout the winter? Anyone do some hard water fishing? Since we are expecting 2cm of snow tonight I figure it's time to start considering these things. Although last year I found I had difficulty hitting the hole in the ice with my flies and when I did nothing ever seemed to rise. Anyone have any suggestions? :P

Winter fly fishing is some of my most enjoyable time on the river (most of it is done on the Crow though). I love the peacefulness, the 'banker's hours' and the look of the river with snow covered banks/trees. I'm already looking forward to my Christmas break.

Winter can be a great time to fly fish, it's mostly a matter of if the river is slushy or has too many bergs in it. Also, anything below about -2 celsius is a bit too cold on the fingies & tends to ice the guides up. I've had some of my best dry fly days in winter, although not frequently.

I'd have to agree with Bloom, personally I prefer the winter scenery of the Crow to the Bow, but that's just personal preference.

Winter can be a great time to fly fish, it's mostly a matter of if the river is slushy or has too many bergs in it. Also, anything below about -2 celsius is a bit too cold on the fingies & tends to ice the guides up. I've had some of my best dry fly days in winter, although not frequently.

I'd have to agree with Bloom, personally I prefer the winter scenery of the Crow to the Bow, but that's just personal preference.

Nothing like a good meal and beer at the Rum Runner after a cool day on the Crow. Over Christmas, I get to watch a few NCAA bowl games their too. That's a pretty good day to me!

I have had most of my best Bow river days, when I have to climb down an 8 foot ice cliff to get to the water :lol::lol::lol:

There's something surreal about fishing what looks like the bloody north pole, on the Bow....

I too really enjoy the winter fishing on the Crow! Midges can produce some decent dry fly action too, even in January. Depends how warm the day gets ;)

Never really got into ice fishing much. Been about 10 times total. matter of fact, tried to sell my hand auger this year in garage sale. No one wanted it. :P

I flyfish the crap out of the Bow in the winter, but I don't hesitate even slightly to baitfish through the ice if it means a supper or two of pike or whitefish fillets.

FLAAAAG!!

buddy had a shack break loose in that wind once..... took it 600 yards down the lake..... What a nightmare that was to push back....

Anybody ever skate up there? if you get out early in the year before its all snow up its amazing skating..... I have also seen the kite boarders and skiers up there as well.... that looks like a blast.

Looking forward to the hard water season.Bout the time that big game and duck hunting are over I'll be gearing up for it.Last year we were on the ice at Severn in late November.It'll be a longer wait this year as we almost used up all our tags on a hunt down in the West Castle last week,6 deer and 1 bull elk.

now that's talent...

oh wait

may not need talent but it can be a hell of a lot of fun. one of the best days of my life was ice fishing 2 winters ago with my best friend, nearly died from laughing so hard.

cool esleech. i'll hold you to it. i have jigs and such just sitting in my truck waiting to be used. i also have a hand auger but i imagine you probably have a gas one if you go a lot

Yeah, I love guys who knock icefishing because they think it's "easy" and then they go nymph two big Juans right into a pod of 1000 fish in the little pooh hole.