Fly Fusion Forums

Bow River Access Denied

Hey everyone,

Some of you may know that there has been a gate put across the 17thAve/Blackfoot boat launch access point. For those drifting from bearspaw down this is the only take out between the city centre and glenmore trail, this would be a very long drift. This also limits those that like a quick evening drift or a longer drift to 22X. This boat launch is public, that has been and can be confirmed by calling 311. Plus with the upcoming opening of Harvey passage you would think a boat launch close down stream would be a benefit.

This is an issue for all of us anglers not just drift boat owners, if access to the Bow river can be just denied with no public consult we open a potential can of worms with other access points.

311 has confirmed that the gate wasn't put in place by the Fire Dept or by the City, there have been a few complaints but this is pretty low on the suits priority list. I ask that everyone that cares call 311 and complain and then contact your council person

http://www.calgary.ca/General/Pages/Calgar...ty-Council.aspx

thanks

If the Fire Department or City didnt put up the gate then who did? Seems to me that the city should have this information. I am sure that some type of permit would need be attained for something like this.

I tweeted Nenshi, he is pretty johnny on the spot for answering tweets, I will see what he has to say, and I will email a couple of people I know in the city.

DONE!

As of noon today, 311 is awaiting replies from various entities who may be responsible for the blocked access.

I do not know what, if any, authority 311 has to address the problem, but their operator was already familiar with this issue, and receptive to my complaint.

Took previous poster's advice and contacted my City Counsel Person, via e-mail at her website.

Requested she dispatch a city employee with bolt cutters to remediate what appears to be an unlawful installation of gate and lock.

As of noon today, 311 is awaiting replies from various entities who may be responsible for the blocked access.

I do not know what, if any, authority 311 has to address the problem, but their operator was already familiar with this issue, and receptive to my complaint.

Took previous poster's advice and contacted my City Counsel Person, via e-mail at her website.

Requested she dispatch a city employee with bolt cutters to remediate what appears to be an unlawful installation of gate and lock.

dammit! there goes my plan to keep access to that section all to myself :crybaby:

Awesome, my Council member sent me a response stating access to rivers is handled via provincial channels and not a City of Calgary issue

I tweeted Nenshi, he is pretty johnny on the spot for answering tweets, I will see what he has to say, and I will email a couple of people I know in the city.

Nenshi responded and said he had no idea why there is a gate. He gave me his email and he will have someone from the city look into it.

It is a Fire Department Gate for sure. Says it right on the gate.

I suspect the fire department is not interested in maneuvering their expensive equipment around piles of rafter’s vehicles to access the river once Harvie Passage opens and they are forced to be out there every day picking up drunken rafters who have fallen off their toys.

It is a Fire Department Gate for sure. Says it right on the gate.

I suspect the fire department is not interested in maneuvering their expensive equipment around piles of rafter’s vehicles to access the river once Harvie Passage opens and they are forced to be out there every day picking up drunken rafters who have fallen off their toys.

There is another gate, that is just a cable right on the corner of Blackfoot and that is the gate I am concerned about the one blocking the condo parking lot is just another access point.

I don't think this arguement really holds water for me because CFD uses the downtown launch and that is where most rafters have been taking out for ever.

DONE. They took my name and number and said they would call back with an update as lots of people were calling in and they weren't quite sure as to the status/what to do yet. Thanks for spearheading Jay!

No problem, I figured if we could get a ton of people calling this could be reversed, there wasn't much that I have done... more appropiately I should be thanking all of you, I drift the city section more than anyone I know.

THANKS FOR THE HELP FFC, KEEP IT GOING

Ok then.

But, once Harvie Passage area is open this summer, there will be far more people flocking to this area to play. Individuals who decide to park in Pierce Estate Park will be removed (the community has stated clearly that they are not welcome) and they are not permitted to park at the fish hatchery, they will not be able to park at the zoo either. Therefore the next legal closest parking area would be 17th St. for rafters, kayakers, paddlers, river surfers and many others who only want to play at Harvie Passage and not float the river.

Ok then.

But, once Harvie Passage area is open this summer, there will be far more people flocking to this area to play. Individuals who decide to park in Pierce Estate Park will be removed (the community has stated clearly that they are not welcome) and they are not permitted to park at the fish hatchery, they will not be able to park at the zoo either. Therefore the next legal closest parking area would be 17th St. for rafters, kayakers, paddlers, river surfers and many others who only want to play at Harvie Passage and not float the river.

I'm not overly concerned about the parking aspect, I often do not park there. Put up some no parking signs and ticket violators, I just want to see access to the boat launch not restricted.

I'm not overly concerned about the parking aspect, I often do not park there. Put up some no parking signs and ticket violators, I just want to see access to the boat launch not restricted.

Or put up a gate and you never have to worry again. You may not be concerned about the parking, but apparently someone is, someone with a gate. Now there is no need to call a tow truck to move a vehicle when they have to get a boat into the river to save a life.

Or put up a gate and you never have to worry again. You may not be concerned about the parking, but apparently someone is, someone with a gate. Now there is no need to call a tow truck to move a vehicle when they have to get a boat into the river to save a life.

thats the story , someone left a vehicle blocking the ramp , dumb ass ruin it for everyone , calgary fire dept needs to be able to get into them ramps at all times in case they have to launch the jet boat for rescue ,

not a big parking lot at the spot so i can't see them unlocking the gate , up town , there is another ramp that is now locked for the same reason ,

OK GOOD NEWS, and thank you everyone for your assistance.

It was not CFD that put up the gate it was a contractor working on the condos.

311 busted thier butts and got Parks Alberta involved. Apparently Parks takes care of these types of issues, Parks had the gate removed yesterday I drove by it this morning and noticed it was gone. Minutes ago I recieved a call from Parks explaining that the contractor has been reported and will be fined for blocking access to a public green space. As well Parks was very unhappy that this had happened especially with the opening of the new Harvey Passage this spring (nice piece of info) and Ron, the area head for Calgary gave me his # and said it could be published.

If you see the gate up call Ron @ 403.537.7571

Thanks everyone, it's nice to get something done

OK GOOD NEWS, and thank you everyone for your assistance.

It was not CFD that put up the gate it was a contractor working on the condos.

311 busted thier butts and got Parks Alberta involved. Apparently Parks takes care of these types of issues, Parks had the gate removed yesterday I drove by it this morning and noticed it was gone. Minutes ago I recieved a call from Parks explaining that the contractor has been reported and will be fined for blocking access to a public green space. As well Parks was very unhappy that this had happened especially with the opening of the new Harvey Passage this spring (nice piece of info) and Ron, the area head for Calgary gave me his # and said it could be published.

If you see the gate up call Ron @ 403.255.7535

Thanks everyone, it's nice to get something done

Congrats Jayhad. FFC helps the cause again. Now if we can just do something about the mayor's shifty eyes.