Fly Fusion Forums

How To Waste 8+ Hours So Far

Or really how to piss of both Taco and Stelfox.

I have been spending a couple of hours each day preparing an application to Dept of En. and Fisheries and Oceans for some in stream structures on the N. Raven River. Of course, the structure will benefit non-native trout - BROOKIES. Got 8+hours into the approval process now with more to come and that doesn't include the actual work that might take 4>5 hours.

Now it isn't the brookies that got my attention but the "hoops".

The application include: permissions from 4 either joint or adjoining landowners, Dept. of Environment, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Sustainable Resource Development.

Now if I was just a farmer wandering with my tractor forth and back in the creek or the atypical weekend warrior on his quad spinning donuts, I just bet that they jump through the same hoops.

Oh, how I wish they playing field was flat.

regards,

Don

CrisD,

Unfortunately, the gradient and therefore the flow rate along this small spring seems not to be where browns like to spawn. Brookies like the slower areas than browns. What will happen though is the swim up fry that appear from the redds may have a better chance of not being eaten by larger Browns or Herons. I'd hoped the instream structures we placed into this stretch during the extensive work in 1997 would lasted along enough for the natural willows/populars to recover naturally, die and fall into the spring. Such wasn't the case. Hence the need for repair/replacement work & re-applications to 3 levels of Govt.

Smitty,

Thanks for passing the loaded revolver. Nope - pike don't use this area. The proposal did however reflect willow cutting to aid moose grub. Hope that suffices for the "native" groupies.

catch ya'

Don

Don Don Don

Just rename your project and ask for ten times as much. Here is what you need to call it:

Mitigation of catastrophic climate change on native fish habitat in the North Raven River using in stream structures

Do not mention non natives....throw in a few species names the spotted-owl stickleback, Banff snail and you might even mention the indirect effects on (waht?) say, grizzly bears.

It will be a shoo in and no one will ask questions. It has to be good , right?

If you wanted $20,000 ask for $100,000. Some of which will be my consulting fee.

And you thought it was hard.

Any time. ;)

Come on Clive,

The only guys that get that kinda money are ACA grant types who use it for their Masters or PHD's.

I don't need money. TU has enough for this $200 project.

Whoops - $200 is for the parts - gotta add labor, mileage, meals, over-night accommodation, first aid attendants, equipment and vehicle retails, insurance, environmental consultants, grant writers, sign painters, PR people, various hanger-oners and groupies, large buses, VIP tents, portable stages & security. Forget global warming - do it the Govt way.

And Taco - there was to natives in this creek. Dug out a buffalo head some years ago. Horns and all.

Don

Thanks for your ongoing work on thearea streams Don. For the last few years I have cursed my favorite stretches of that creek with the sudden high population of Dams, ( >7 in a .5 mile stretch). Numbers have drastically decreased partially due to "native species" ie Beaver, Otter, Cattle ... worms.... etc. Thanks for your ongoing efforts and information.

Thanks for your ongoing work on thearea streams Don. For the last few years I have cursed my favorite stretches of that creek with the sudden high population of Dams, ( >7 in a .5 mile stretch). Numbers have drastically decreased partially due to "native species" ie Beaver, Otter, Cattle ... worms.... etc. Thanks for your ongoing efforts and information.

Mudflap,

The work done here and there on streams/rivers/ponds would've happened w/o the time, effort, money, expertise of a whole lot of people. I'm one of many.

regards,

Don