Fly Fusion Forums

Is It Time For A Serious Discussion About This Forum And Fishing Reports

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ArtVandelay
And then a little thing called the internet came along...

This! Long gone are the days when the only "hotspotting" that occurred was overhearing a conversation at a fly shop, or advise from family or friends, if you were lucky. Google Earth alone has changed things significantly, IMO. You just have to learn to live with the ways things are now because the internet isn't going anywhere. If anything, things will only get worse with regard to easily accessible reports, photos, and general chitchat.

I'm in the Harps/JBear camp (but less politely). People are slobs. The number of good, ethical fishermen is far outweighed by the number of weekend warrior beer guzzling can chucking snowboarder flat brim toting number stacking lip ripping chest beating straight up capital D Douchebags. It's all become an extreme sport to be judged and applauded publicly. 'Angler recruitment and retention' was a plague I saw coming about 10 years ago and we are certainly starting to feel its effect.

If more people practiced fishing as the gentleman's sport it is the river would be a better place. And that doesn't mean buying cane and hardy and calling yourself vintage, FFS.

No doubt you are quite the gentleman. Humble and gracious too.

Guest ArtVandelay
Yup, the internet and the fact Alberta has grown by a factor of 3 in the last 25yrs... best get ready for the next 25... probably hit 10 or 12 million.

ScreenShot2012-03-13at71337PM.png

I hate snowboarders. I hate invasive species(except carp). I hate Alberta. I hate weekend warriors. I know more than you. People who wear certain hats are obviously idiots. People who fish for bull trout are unethical. I hate people who smoke weed. I hate modern, creative filmmaking with music, I prefer dull instructional VHS videos which include hotspotting of angling location. I hate hotspotting. I hate Albertans. I hate cane sticks, especially if the user thinks it gives them "Vintage Cred". I hate lake sundance. I hate beer drinkers. I hate the internet. I know more than you. I love FFC.

I hate snowboarders. I hate invasive species(except carp). I hate Alberta. I hate weekend warriors. I know more than you. People who wear certain hats are obviously idiots. People who fish for bull trout are unethical. I hate people who smoke weed. I hate modern, creative filmmaking with music, I prefer dull instructional VHS videos which include hotspotting of angling location. I hate hotspotting. I hate Albertans. I hate cane sticks, especially if the user thinks it gives them "Vintage Cred". I hate lake sundance. I hate beer drinkers. I hate the internet. I know more than you. I love FFC.

I think you captured a common theme of a lot of posts. Made me laugh....

Wouldn't suprise me, with the attitude so many people have nowadays out there. Fishing used to be about getting rid of stress, now we come to a forum where people bitch and fight about sh*t all the time.

and u always have plenty to say!

I can see were the drop off has happened in the last year and half, I think it has to do with exactly what Hawg said, this stuff used to be fun and relaxing now its more about fighting for water while your out there and wondering whether your even going to find water before u get there! When I started, fly fishing was the coolest thing to me, really enjoyable and fun. 15 years ago you could just go fishing and have fun! Now its just like everything else a huge commercial mess of people spending money and trying to out do each other! Humm sounds like fun, unfortunatly I dont have any money and Im to old to go out and fight for space!

Well we've come full circle now haven't we?

I still find it fun and exciting and relaxing and getting back to my point, I spend the time and effort to find spots where no one is. That's not to say there is never anyone there but I'll go on a wed. for example and fish stretches that require a bit of walking. Generally everythng has cooled off from the weekend and it's as though it's never been fished. I think the whole point of this thread and what a lot of guys have been trying to get at is you have to leave as this crap behind and immerse yourself in the actual act of flyfishing and I would say that includes just getting to where ever you are going. Having a back up plan is always good, if I find vehicles or people where I was planning on going then I move elsewhere. I fish pretty fast and on numerous occasions I've come up on someone, my first instinct is to race back to the truck and start over. Last year on at least 2 occasions I was waved through which floored me. One was a group of three and weren't concerned with fishing behind me and another was an older gent working on fooling a particularily wary trout and waved me through. He just said lots of fish and left it at that. Judging by the shiz that goes on in these boards you'd never imagine that would happen but I think a major portion of us are decent and friendly guys. Keyboard confidence mixed with shacknasties brings out the worst in everyone.

Despite the growing population of anglers in this province I still think there are plenty of places where you can get away from it all if you really want to. Fact is maybe a lot of folks don't want to, don't like getting to far from truck, scared of bears, not fit enough etc.

Flyfishing can be whatever you want if your ready to put in the time to find what does it for you. If you get to hung up on all the bullshit then it's going to be challenging to have any fun. The older I get the more I realize it's all about the journey and very little to do with the destination, might seem cliche but I think it's true.

As far as why I continue to hang out on this board, I like reading up on the gear, figuring out different techniques, pick up cool fly patterns and I'll admit I get a kick out of the senseless drama that goes on, it's like watching a car crash c-a-n-t-l-o-o-k-a-w-a-y...........

I prefer well composed shots of interesting subjects and honestly get bored of the grip and grin shots of fish so most days I don't even bother with the photo section. There are a few guys who regularly post awesome photos not all about fish.

It's all what you make of it, and the season is short so make the most of it.

Don't forget to blame Scammell, Thornberry, Hilborn,Bergman, and anybody else who wrote fishing articles. I mean, Damn, before these guys started writing, you could fill your freezer with fish, no problem.

No Smiley so as not to annoy Taco.

Mike