Fly Fusion Forums

Breeding Carp In Irrigation System

Big fat, lazy Cutts rolling around when you hook them fighting like a walleye...but they would eat dries nice. Then there would be the 10lb Bulls trying to steal them from you.

Hate to say it, but those invader rainbows are way more fun to catch.

Guest Sundancefisher
but think of the bow if it were still fill of cutts and bulls in calgary

In a perfect world it would of been nice. I love catching cutts and bulls in streams. While rainbows fight harder...cutts and bulls are special to me.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Then play with the idea of that fish truck all those years ago dumping carp in and the bow became a "meca" for HUGE carp? Its all a perspective.

Guest Sundancefisher
Then play with the idea of that fish truck all those years ago dumping carp in and the bow became a "meca" for HUGE carp? Its all a perspective.

I agree with you and always have. Past stocking has not necessarily been a positive for fishing...and definitely not for native species. While there are similarities in results (illegal carp stocking to legal trout stocking) back then I did not advocate for stocking rainbows and browns in the Bow to replace bulls and cutts. However and unfortunately the dams did more to their chances to be alive today then the rainbows and browns.

With the dams on the Bow...likely bulls would never of done well. Cutts maybe...but not bulls. They tried in vain to get a population going below the Oldman but it never worked. Moving adult bulls upstream of the dam was a wasted effort.

These carp will not get huge...but they will be destructive on the habitat which fortunately rainbows and brown are not.

I still see we are in agreement. Carp bad.

If the Bow was like the Elk...that would be cool.

By the way if you are in an area that has Carp they can be a panic on a fly rod, remove them from the fishery. I've had 100 yard runs and being attached to a 40 lb carp is a hoot. They will take a bugger or nymph and make really great fertilizer for your tomato beds. When I travel home to Kelowna along with fishing the mountain lakes I often do a few evening hours on the beach flats and load up on flower bed gravy for the Mother in law.

Guest Sundancefisher
By the way if you are in an area that has Carp they can be a panic on a fly rod, remove them from the fishery. I've had 100 yard runs and being attached to a 40 lb carp is a hoot. They will take a bugger or nymph and make really great fertilizer for your tomato beds. When I travel home to Kelowna along with fishing the mountain lakes I often do a few evening hours on the beach flats and load up on flower bed gravy for the Mother in law.

This carp species are likely going to average 8 inch to 14 inch...they grow to 3 lbs in optimal conditions. Removing them is a great idea...just curious...how many are out there now...how many different species...where are they? Anyone on this forum run across carp in their travels?

This carp species are likely going to average 8 inch to 14 inch...they grow to 3 lbs in optimal conditions. Removing them is a great idea...just curious...how many are out there now...how many different species...where are they? Anyone on this forum run across carp in their travels?

Go back a page or two and read wingshooters post. They have escaped from a pond into the Medicine River.

Guest Sundancefisher
Go back a page or two and read wingshooters post. They have escaped from a pond into the Medicine River.

I saw that one...but unfortunately they may be more widespread as in the OP they are throughout the Rosebud Creek drainage with a few individuals caught in the Red Deer River.

The thing we don't know is whether they are the same species in these two locations or are they different.

I saw that one...but unfortunately they may be more widespread as in the OP they are throughout the Rosebud Creek drainage with a few individuals caught in the Red Deer River.

The thing we don't know is whether they are the same species in these two locations or are they different.

Wonder if they have shown up on any of the electro fishing surveys lately

there are some huge carp in that area!

Guest Sundancefisher
there are some huge carp in that area!

Unfortunately this information and other info would suggest we have 2 maybe three or more species of invasive carp in Alberta. Sigh... Not good.

Guest Sundancefisher
Wonder if they have shown up on any of the electro fishing surveys lately

F&W said when they last surveyed the Red Deer they found a few carp specimens. Not sure which species. If I heard correctly they are planning for more surveys this year.