Fly Fusion Forums

Pfd's Back To Square One, Feedback Appreciated

I have been putting in time researching manual inflatable and self inflating PFD'S. I went to one of the big stores the other day, fairly convinced I wanted to go with self inflating PFD'S, when the guy behind the counter said, he took a coast guard water certification, and feels he would go with the manual inflating over self inflating. When asked why, he said some self inflating are known to not inflate when needed to do so. I am a strong swimmer, former lifeguard, but the wife swims like a rock. I spend far more time on the river (Bow) than I do lakes. I lean toward the self inflating for several reasons, especially for the wife. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks

My wife and I went with Mustang self inflating pfd's and we like them allot. If the cartridge fails to inflate the vest's they can be inflated manually. So far neither of us has needed to inflate them and I hope we never do. It is important to change the cartridges from time to time.

I use a Self inflate, I actually going to outfit my boat with them as the cops above the wier want you wearing a PFD at all times. THe only thing I suggest is carying extra cartridiges in the boat. I understand there are two different types on that inflates when a water soluable (sp?) disk disappears and on that is activated by pressure. I have the water soluable one and it wen off in a wicked rainstorm this summer.

Have you checked out the belts? I think that's what I ll get next as they don't interfer with casting at all

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/recreationa...sion=recreation

Yes I have invested in a self inflating (hydrostatic [4" of submersion to inflate]) pfd and thankfully have not had to activate it (though I have been knocked down by and ice shelf and it did not inflate, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't 4" below). The non-hydrostatic ones, from my understanding can inflate when wet from the rain so I would be cautious with those... If you want the manual inflatable ones, MEC has the best price on those!! I'm curious to find out if mine will work and want to jump into a pool with it on, problem is, the cartridges are $70 to replace! Curiosity might get the best of me this summer and I might just have to forgo the $...

P

I own a manual inflate belt type unit.

This past summer, several of my fishing buds and I did an experiment. I wadered up, strapped on my pfd, tied on a safety tether rope, and went swimming in a deep pool on our home river. We did this with two waist belts ( as Simms recommends) , one waist belt, and no waist belt, and then with the pfd inflated. I was able to stay afloat and swim after a fashion in all four scenarios.

I am now looking for an over the head, manually trigggered CO2 inflatable pfd because of that summer experience. I found that the belt version could not be enticed over my head once it was inflated. I struggled even on the dry land to complete that task. You can use it kind of like a kick board and lay on it, but it is no longer as safe to use if it doesn't go over your head

HTH.

garthman

I have a mustang manual inflation waist belt type. At a lodge I guided at this fall we wore them while running boats. I found that interference with working/fishing was minimal. Huge improvement over past designs! Carrying an extra cartridge may be a good idea as the handle on the pull cord hangs out a bit and could potentially catch on something and set the cartridge off (although this never happened all season to any of us three guides). Very light also, once used to wearing it you don't even notice it is there. I like the piece of mind of having this protection when on the water a lot, but I don't want something invasive as in the past I have never used any sort of PFD while fishing. I would be wary of self inflators with immersion disks, way too many scenarios that could lead to undesired inflation in a water sport like fishing. I am envisioning this product being similar to the immersion sensor on a backpack electrofisher, where the sensor is at waist level, if you go beyond you waist the cartridge will discharge...I know when electrofishing, although an important safety, this often limits sampling access, is a fairly distracting consideration. I like the manual best at this point as I like simplicity, see to many failures in automated devices, I don't trust sensors. I think the only real issue with the manual waist belt is with having the presence of mind/ability to pull the cord and pull the inflated bladder over the head while floating down the river. Maybe not so difficult in most low velocity situations, but in a rapid, or coming at a log jam or something it may get interesting. For me, convenience, simplicity and noninvasive is important, if it was a pain in the ass I wouldn't use it. Even if it does become a kick board, it is better than nothing - I can't be bothered to wear a vest.

fishinglivin,

If you buy any type of Life Jacket or suspenders types make sure that they are Dept of Transport Approved. There is generally a DOT label silk screened on the inside of the PFD with an approval number.

PFD's w/o a DOT number are not legal for use in Canada. Some of the big box stores sell products approved by the neighbor to the south's approval agency. They are not legal for use.

To make you feel better. DOT approvals are recognized south of the border. US Coast Guard approvals are NOT recognized in Canada.

Some states and provinces require that you wear them when afloat. In Alberta, we let Darwin look after things.

catch ya'

Don