Fly Fusion Forums

Crowsnest Fishing And Camping Bear Safety

Do you have a link to these cases, I've never heard that before.

Mike

I am just curious what you guys do for bear spray when going on multi day trips. There is plenty of documented cases where bears have hung around a camp for multiple days on end(despite being sprayed, shot at, etc) You are 15-20 km away from your vehicle and you shoot off your can of bear spray...what do you do when the bear comes back? Better start prayin!

I know on humans bear spray is not as effective once it has been used multiple times. If a problem bear has been sprayed before that bear spray might not be that useful after all. I do know that hot lead is just as effective every time.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am just curious what you guys do for bear spray when going on multi day trips. There is plenty of documented cases where bears have hung around a camp for multiple days on end(despite being sprayed, shot at, etc) You are 15-20 km away from your vehicle and you shoot off your can of bear spray...what do you do when the bear comes back? Better start prayin!

I know on humans bear spray is not as effective once it has been used multiple times. If a problem bear has been sprayed before that bear spray might not be that useful after all. I do know that hot lead is just as effective every time.

there's always exceptions but it's just that I find any firearm an extreme pain in the ass to carry while fishing. I have enough trustworthy friends who've spent far more time around bears than I have who have compete faith in a big can of pepperspray. Good enough for them, good enough for me.

BTW, never said anything about camp guns where legal and high country huntin' with pepperspray is really kinda on the silly side.

Quick question....realized a few weeks ago that my bear spray was still in my fishing vest, still hanging in the unheated garage and now it was minus 30. Does freezing and thawing affect it's effectiveness and should it be replaced ( was new last year). Perhaps I should test it on my bride...Happy Valentines honey...

I did have a sow and cub scare me spitless on Mill Ck last summer. Never saw her until she woofed at me, straightened out every hair I own, decided fishin' upstream was probably a better plan than the current one and went with that.

Quick question....realized a few weeks ago that my bear spray was still in my fishing vest, still hanging in the unheated garage and now it was minus 30. Does freezing and thawing affect it's effectiveness and should it be replaced ( was new last year). Perhaps I should test it on my bride...Happy Valentines honey...

Should be alright, nothing on the can that says protect from freezing. I always keep my stale dated ones in my work truck yr round and let me tell you the damn stuff still burns when you get blowback. I'd contact the manufacturer if you're unsure.

Bearanoia is a good thing, if anyone ever asks me about bears I'll gladly tell them about all the mean looking hungry sows with cubs I spot on any particular river. Easiest way to get some peace and quiet.

I have half a dozen expired cans of spray sitting around and the only thing to ever get a whiff was myself doing a practice shot with an old can, it worked on me anyway.

I aim to have the least amount of shiz with me while I'm fishing and what I do carry is more focused on the possibility of having to spend a night or 2 in the woods because I slipped and sprained and ankle while trying to get into the perfect casting position on that rocky ledge.

I've only seen a handfull of bears on foot and aside from one cinnamon who acted like he didn't even see me it's always been a quick glimpse of their ass as they bolt off into the bush.

In my opinion we are in their house and if you don't have the confidence or fortitude to stand riverside without a gun you should stay on the lower bow or better yet take up lake fishing.

Be bear aware and pack bear spray is all that's needed. I've used bear spray on aggressive dogs, more than a few herd bulls intent on killing and one assertive little prick of a bear and each and every time it was like they ran into a wall that bit back.

Works pretty good on a charging bull moose, too.

Hmmm.....yet you DO have the stones to fend off a griz with a can of pepper spray??

Impressive. :rolleyes:

Simple math my friend- firing a pistol requires 5 steps; draw the weapon, chamber a round, take off the safety, aim, fire. Yeah, I know, you do it all in one smooth motion, fast as a blink, and can put out a candle at 20 paces. Now you just have to hit a moving target of a few inches, with an instrument that is less than half an inch. Firing bear spray can be done in 2 steps; leave it on your hip, just remove the safety and fire. Now the entire animal is the target, and the weapon is 3 times his size. Of course, there's also accidents to consider. I'm not much of a gambling man. Clearly, you are.

Most bear experts say, go home, but what do they know? I always have one can on my hip, with a spare in my bag. They build up a resistance, eh? So it must be true what they say, Mexicans and East Indians are immune to pepper spray. NOT!

One thing I find interesting is that you don't see any other mountain enthusiasts packing guns. Hikers are at great risk and have never seen one with a gun, at least not a visible one (camp guns seem more appropriate). Rock climbers, paddlers, mountain bikers all frequent the same areas and some how carrying a weapon is not even on the register for these groups.

The way I see it is while having a gun doesn't really decrease my chance of an encounter by any means yet it increases my chances of shooting at a bear by 100%. When it really comes down to it I don't want to shoot a bear, I think they are pretty cool. So I take all standard precautions to prevent having an encounter and trust that when I do I can calmly handle it. If my luck runs out then so be it, could just as easily be mangled in a car accident.

Taco, easy there big guy this feller has 8 posts 4 of which he is trying to "prove" he's the tough guy. He obviously has not spent a lot of time in the woods like you or I have. Bears are not something to be afraid of or something to be gunning down if they look at you or your kids funny. Be smart and be bear aware and you will NOT get into that predicament often, and if and when you do, bear spray is more than enough and more effective than trying to hit 800lbs of raging grizzly.

When Brian told me there were bears when we were fishing the crow this summer I was more than happy to let him lead.....hahahahaha

When Brian told me there were bears when we were fishing the crow this summer I was more than happy to let him lead.....hahahahaha

There's a reason for that, bears preferentially come up from behind..................................................

I ran into a grizzly and 3 cubs last year on the oldman drainage... She got extremely close to my camp, so I had to scare them away.. used bear bangers, worked great.. just made sure she was with her cubs before i shot them off. Make sure you carry bear spray, make lots of noise and always hide your food. Always better to fish with someone else. Im going to start carrying air horns actually as I have read about lots of encounters where they potentially saved lives.

I've spent time in the back country and I've always carrying spray (and actually practised getting it out and ready) for the last 25 years or so, every can I've ever owned had a best before date. When I fish alone in certain areas that I know have large concentrations of G Bear I carry a Bear Banger, a nickel plated one (that I've actually practised with) that is completely legal. I suppose I'm not a Grizzly Adams like it sounds like most of you are but I also have had several close encounters over the years including one with a pair of three year old boars Grizzlies (info. provided by C.O. when I reported them) who were very inquisitive and plenty big enough. I've never had to discharge my firearm under those circumstances but I would not hesitate if I thought it was absolutely necessary. I have to say it takes a special someone to think its somehow noble and correct to be concious while a gbear eats your entrails. I can say Bears seem to have changed in the last ten years or so and the chances are they will take a second look or two before they amble off is good, they seem to have little fear. Sorry for contributing to the thread hijack but the macho crap every time this comes up just gets my goat. Only 1500 days in the woods Taco I thought you were a fishing enthusiast.

I seem to recall reading something about bear spray gelling or slushing up in the can. So apparently, the cold does affect it. Not sure if that actually affects the potency of the spray once its thawed.

http://vimeo.com/34687326 -Some pretty cool footage although it's a little Blair Witch... Day in the life of bear.

When I'm out in the mtns alone... i'm conscious that there might be bears around, but it's the thought of a cougar that really gets me. I've yet to see one, but I have seen some prints in the canyon section of the highwood....

Only 1500 days in the woods Taco I thought you were a fishing enthusiast.

Yeah I know, in spite of my big interwebs mouth I'm purely a hobbyist.

That damn BbT still ain't told us what kinda cake though...

That damn BbT still ain't told us what kinda cake though...

Saskatoon Berry Dream Cake

Base:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/3 cup soft butter

2 egg whites

1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, egg whites and vanilla. Mix well. Press onto bottom of 10 inch spring form pan.

Cake:

3 cups Saskatoon berries

2 tbsp all purpose flour

2 cups lower-fat plain yogurt

1 egg, lightly beaten

2/3 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp vanilla

grated rind of 1 lemon or orange

Preheat oven to 350’ F (180’C). Layer Saskatoon berries over base. In large bowl combine flour, yogurt, egg, sugar, vanilla and lemon rind. Mix until smooth. Pour over Saskatoon berries. Bake 60 - 70 minutes or until cake is firm and golden.

Yield: 12 servings

I need to learn when to quit....

I'm not sure how macho comes into this? Nothing macho about deciding not to carry firearms.

To the original poster since this did get off track, there are lots of steps you can take to minimize an encounter. I like the air horn idea and I think they are quite effective. I have this little whistle that I got at MEC, I think the brand is fox, and it is louder than you can imagine. I wear it on my vest and give it a good toot from time to time especially when I'm walking into the wind and coming around big blind corners. I always have a can of spray and wear a good sturdy knife on my belt.

In my mind and from what I understand the worst move is to surprize a bear and in most cases if they know you are there they will do what they can to avoid you. Some are curious I suppose and there has been some research to show that young black bears can be dangerous as they try to define their territory. It's a whole other can of worms debating predatory versus defensive behavior but I like to think that for the most part they want nothing to do with us whatsoever. I think they are also inherantly lazy and don't really want to burn too much energy on anything but eating. As far as I know we aren't super high on their list of food.

As a bit of comedic relief I have some good stories of being attacked by animals. The most memorable was a hen ruffed grouse with a little flock of chicks. I walked right through the gathering not realizing what was there, the chicks look like a common sparrow, all of a sudden the hen came rushing out and did the little dance to try and lead me away from her chicks and apparently I didn't move fast enough because she turned on me and came flying at my chest full speed. She literally drove her beak into my sternum and when she fell to the ground she proceeded to beat at my shins with her wings. I actually had to run away albeit laughing my ass off. This all went down in a few seconds and I don't believe a shotgun would have saved me.

I've been chased down by numerous geese and a cranky old turkey once too, that is some scary business. Be scared of birds they are effing crazy.

I've also been attacked by numerous dogs and one thing I can say is that when you have a legitamate pissed off animal coming at you there is very little time to react. In all cases the dog was on me before I could even register what was happening.

Personally part of the whole experience of being out there for me is that sort of vulnerable exposed feeling you get when you know you're not at the top of the food chain anymore. I find it really humbling and it brings me back down to earth in a way nothing else can. Getting out there and being out of my "element" really makes me feel alive and at the end of the day that is just as important to me as the fishing.

I know....super macho ;).

Saskatoon Berry Dream Cake

Base:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1/2 cup granulated sugar

1 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/3 cup soft butter

2 egg whites

1 tsp vanilla

Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, egg whites and vanilla. Mix well. Press onto bottom of 10 inch spring form pan.

Cake:

3 cups Saskatoon berries

2 tbsp all purpose flour

2 cups lower-fat plain yogurt

1 egg, lightly beaten

2/3 cup granulated sugar

1 tsp vanilla

grated rind of 1 lemon or orange

Preheat oven to 350’ F (180’C). Layer Saskatoon berries over base. In large bowl combine flour, yogurt, egg, sugar, vanilla and lemon rind. Mix until smooth. Pour over Saskatoon berries. Bake 60 - 70 minutes or until cake is firm and golden.

Yield: 12 servings

Oh! a different kind of sharing than I had imagined, all I brought was a fork.

Carry on...

There are a few things you might want to consider when buying bear spray, because it's not all the same. First off, there are different sizes of canister, and obviously bigger is better. Also, the government limits the percentage of the active ingredient capsaicin. The limit in Canada used to be 1% while that in the US is 2%. I believe the Canadian limit has recently been increased to 1.84%. Anyway, when making a purchase, take the time to read the fine print on the canister. You will want to go with the strongest juice you can get. Terry

I love bear defense threads. Three people with enough bush experience that are qualified to comment, the rest just making it up based on what they seen on TV or the OH&S bear safety video. Guns are tools. If you're not proficient with a particular tool, it is advisable to find a different one with which you are proficiency. For many people, that's a can of pepper marinade. Myself, I never touch the stuff because I'm more scared of pressurized capsacin than I am of bears. That all said, people running around with illegal 454's scare me the most.

Right on dude thanks for sharing, we all know how knowledgable you are in every field. Always so constructive and helpfull.

Maybe cake is not such a bad idea. Making ribs for dinner so may whip up a cornbread.

I have to agree with PGK on this one. Up here in the north country there are far too many suspect individuals carrying firearms who claim that they will drop any bear that they see. Kind of makes me wonder how I am still alive with all of the time I spend in Grizzly and cat country at work, home and while out fishing. I have had the pleasure of having several serious run-ins with both grizzlies and black bears, some of these occasions I was carrying a shotgun, none of these occasions resulted in a shot being fired at the bear. I never considered shooting necessary for any of my incidents.

I will close with this advice: Don't try to be a hero. A little bit of fear will go a long way in regards to keeping you cautious and aware while in the field.