Fly Fusion Forums

Crowsnest Fishing And Camping Bear Safety

Hi, has anyone seen any bears while fishing or camping in this area? Im thinking of doing a camping/fishing trip down there in the summer. Ive encountered black bears before but never a grizzley, any

tips on what I can do if I encounter one and what can I do to Preventing me from encountering a bear?

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Despite common thought, there are a lot of bears in the Crowsnest area. In fact, I've seen more on the Crow than in the Oldman drainage. I have spent more time on the oldman drainage too. Keep food out of your tent, locked in a vehicle, or if camping without a vehicle, hung up in a tree. Make lots of noise at blind corners in rivers and when walking through brush. If you think a bear could be near make noise. If you SEE a bear do not panic, do not run, talk to it like you would a dog in a calm reassutring voice, they usually just wander off about their business once they see you as a non - threat. ***CARRY BEAR SPRAY*** if you are charged do NOT spray until the bear is LESS THAN 10 feet from you. I have been charged before and the bear turned away at approx 25ft. Had I srayed then and the bear came back for pass # 2 I may have been out of spray. Test an old spray can (downwind) to see how far it will shoot.

Most important though is to be aware, make noise, and if you can, fish with a friend.

..... any

tips on what I can do if I encounter one and what can I do to Preventing me from encountering a bear?

Ruger Super Redhawk SS,.454 Casull tucked in the waders....'nuff said. ;)

According to a 30 year study done by the US Forest Service, people who used firearms to defend themselves from a bear were injured or killed about 50% of the time, and all injuries required medical attention. People who used bear spray were completely uninjured about 95% of the time, and none of their injuries required medical attention.

'Nuff said.

Ruger Super Redhawk SS,.454 Casull tucked in the waders....'nuff said. ;)

Yeah right and if you can't hit a target the size of an orange (brain shot) comin' at you at 45kph over rough ground make sure you save the last round and use it to blow your right-side eardrum outta your left ear just before the pissed off bear arrives because you're in for a world of hurt. Majority of people who pack a pistol for bear would have trouble hittin' anything abet accidentally in a pressure situation. Rifle ain't much better except a bear dies or is diein' while still 150 yds away.

Be bear aware and pack bear spray is all that's needed. I've used bear spray on aggressive dogs, more than a few herd bulls intent on killing and one assertive little prick of a bear and each and every time it was like they ran into a wall that bit back.

According to a 30 year study done by the US Forest Service, people who used firearms to defend themselves from a bear were injured or killed about 50% of the time, and all injuries required medical attention. People who used bear spray were completely uninjured about 95% of the time, and none of their injuries required medical attention.

'Nuff said.

Ummmm.....yea....and grizzly shiz has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Thanks anyway,but I'll trust my life and that of my children to gunpowder over pepper any day.IMHO,the stats you quote only illustrate that 50% of people are incompetent in the use of firearms.....and fwiw,one does not need to make running brain shot to stop a bear with a .454 Casull,it's a big bore handgun cartridge that was developed specifically for the purpose of compact bear defense.

Ummmm.....yea....and grizzly shiz has bells in it and smells like pepper.

Thanks anyway,but I'll trust my life and that of my children to gunpowder over pepper any day.IMHO,the stats you quote only illustrate that 50% of people are incompetent in the use of firearms.....and fwiw,one does not need to make running brain shot to stop a bear with a .454 Casull,it's a big bore handgun cartridge that was developed specifically for the purpose of compact bear defense.

Just don't fish around me, I'm gettin' tried of the bear/cougar paranoid. Last one I spooked 'bout beat himself black and blue with the barrel before he could get his firearm into position.

Just don't fish around me, I'm gettin' tried of the bear/cougar paranoid. Last one I spooked 'bout beat himself black and blue with the barrel before he could get his firearm into position.

How bout you just don't be worrying about where I fish friend....I'm in that 50% that actually does know how to use their guns. ;)

How bout you just don't be worrying about where I fish friend....I'm in that 50% that actually does know how to use their guns. ;)

Cool and I've watched shooters who can mark sub 1" groups all day long on the range couldn't hit a bull in the ass with a shovel when it comes to takin' a 150 yd shot at a booner buck or bull, myself included. I used to buy my reloadin' powder by the keg Sunshine and probably worn out more rifles than you own. Been there done that threw away the effin' t-shirt.

Taking a brain shot is a very risky shot. Best to shoot for the shoulders to stop the bear in its tracks.

That is very true but with any pistol except maybe that cannon Grinr purposin' ain't gonna break down much bone to stop or even slow down a pissed big bear. Plus with Grinr's Casulls you're gonna hafta deal with a pistol that pointed at the sky (BIG recoil) after every shot, best be waitin' till that bear gets inside of 15'-20' before shootin'. Ain't many around that got the stones to pull that one off while armed with a handgun and fillin' their shorts. I ain't.

I'd like to hear you expain to a CO why you are packing a handgun knowing full well it's illegal to do so.

Mike

I thought about pointin' that out but I knew all true redneck rambos wouldn't care.

..... best be waitin' till that bear gets inside of 15'-20' before shootin'. Ain't many around that got the stones to pull that one off while armed with a handgun and fillin' their shorts. I ain't.

Hmmm.....yet you DO have the stones to fend off a griz with a can of pepper spray??

Impressive. :rolleyes:

Taco, easy there big guy this feller has 8 posts 4 of which he is trying to "prove" he's the tough guy. He obviously has not spent a lot of time in the woods like you or I have. Bears are not something to be afraid of or something to be gunning down if they look at you or your kids funny. Be smart and be bear aware and you will NOT get into that predicament often, and if and when you do, bear spray is more than enough and more effective than trying to hit 800lbs of raging grizzly.

I've spent quite a few days in the mountains with friends and by myself. I've seen scat on a bunch of occasion as well as digs, tree scratches, and scat...

The only bear i've seen while fishing was at about 75 yards. He/she stood up, had a few sniffs at the air, saw me, and a simply walked back into the bush. I'm scared of em, but simple precautions like many that have been listed above, will keep ya safe.

Not our area, but some good information. Have a look about:http://www.env.gov.yk.ca/pdf/howyoucanstaysafe.pdf Not our area, but some good information.

I am just curious what you guys do for bear spray when going on multi day trips. There is plenty of documented cases where bears have hung around a camp for multiple days on end(despite being sprayed, shot at, etc) You are 15-20 km away from your vehicle and you shoot off your can of bear spray...what do you do when the bear comes back? Better start prayin!

I know on humans bear spray is not as effective once it has been used multiple times. If a problem bear has been sprayed before that bear spray might not be that useful after all. I do know that hot lead is just as effective every time.

Taco, easy there big guy this feller has 8 posts 4 of which he is trying to "prove" he's the tough guy. He obviously has not spent a lot of time in the woods like you or I have. Bears are not something to be afraid of or something to be gunning down if they look at you or your kids funny. Be smart and be bear aware and you will NOT get into that predicament often, and if and when you do, bear spray is more than enough and more effective than trying to hit 800lbs of raging grizzly.

...and, if all else fails, just take a big ole whiz in yer waders; ain't no b'ar gonna eat ya if ya smell like pee! :angel:smail:

I've spent a good deal of time in the woods in many provinces and states over my last 63 years. Fishing, hunting and for a number of years guiding. Encountered a great many bears of all kinds and temprements, experienced a few false charges over that time. Common sense prevails in the end. I think most of the bear paranoia comes from the very inexperienced about the outdoors and the immature.

I don't have as much experience in the woods as many of you as I've only been fishing back country for 7 yrs now. But in those 7 yrs, I've fished in the back country quite a bit. I have bear spray, and have brought bangers. Never have I had to touch either. I've only seen one bear while fishing, and he was running away. I think the odds of shooting off bear spray and needing to shoot it again on the same trip is unlikely in the extreme.