Fly Fusion Forums

Shooting Line ?

jonn

Hey guys, right now I'm using 20lb Ridge Line. I love the thickness of it and how good it shoots. But I'm really scared of snagging up and having it break off. So I was thinking about going to a Frog hair or Slick shooter style of line? I curious as to want your guy's experinces are with them. Pro's, con's, likes, dislikes?

Hey guys, right now I'm using 20lb Ridge Line. I love the thickness of it and how good it shoots. But I'm really scared of snagging up and having it break off. So I was thinking about going to a Frog hair or Slick shooter style of line? I curious as to want your guy's experinces are with them. Pro's, con's, likes, dislikes?

I have frog hair (40 lbs) on my 3/4 amundson trout spey and slick shooter (35lb) on the deer creek 5/6. Originally started with the deer creek, and found the slick shooter a little coily in the winter, so thought I would try the frog hair next. Not much to choose between the two. I really like them both, although both are coily in the cold. The frogs hair is noticeably thinner, and as a result, can knot up with the coils a bit easier. It shoots a bit better tho, and I like the feel of the thin. I have not used the ridge line.

Bummer tho if the running line breaks and you loose the head. that could be expensive. send me a PM and we can meet if you want to try these.

thats just what you need johnny is some new running , and a great choice ,

i'll trade you all the slick shooter and frog hair you want for them running lines , how's about that pretty blue loop running line you have , i'll swap you out for a spool of pink slick shooter ,

pro's , = cheep , casts like a son of a gun , lays on the water nice and don't really have to coil and hold loops , and even you my friend will look like ed ward for the distance you will get

dislikes = that shiz coils up real tight and it's a pain in the ass , i do use it in the summer on my trout speys in my boat while guiding , and even then it still coils some , not as bad as when the weather gets anywhere close to -1 , lots of times it will slip through the fingers while casting as so slick , same as if your holding it tight to the cork and you need to lay the wood to set the hook , it will slip , for these reason i will only use it in warm weather ,

to each his own ,i know some die hard steelheaders who swear by it ,

Setting the hook with the slick shooter can be a trick, especially if them temperatures are low and your fingers are cold.

- Can't remember where I read it, but if you take a small amount of rubber tape and apply it to the top inch of the cork, it will provide some what of a tacky area where you can more easily pinch the line to help with slippage problem.

The slick shooter has a lot less resistance to the water making lifting the line and big mends easier. Having the ability to lift the running line with ease almost allows you to 'nymph' the shooting head.

Coils can be a bit of a pain, usually just stretch out a good amount of shooting line at the start of the day.

I wouldn't go back to a regular set up after using the slick shooter.

Thanks guys! Dutchie, :masterbaiter: I think I'll still hold on to my running lines for a while! Thanks for the info guys. I really like the idea with the rubber. I'll bet you could just stretch a chunk of 10 speed tire tube over the cork! Have any of you guys tried miracle braid or the gl shooter shooting lines?

i like the 25 and 55lb slick shooter i find it stacks better and like other hanve mentioned it is coily to start but it gets better if u use it! after 20 hours or so maybe less it is alreay lip only the reels i use a few times a year for steelhead may have a little memory when i first take em out but limp really fast and are golden my whole trip.. the trick i have found with monic running lines is using them.. the brand new mono running line has memory but after you use it for a few days and limp it each time your good to go once it reaches its break in period... i try to stretch out my whole line on a tree when i frst get it and stretch it really good a few times too cut down on the break in period! it helps huge!! never going too use a regular running line again not even on the bow or steelhead streams this winter. im not a big fan of frog hair because its thin its shoots crazy but almost over shoots at times and gets in a rats nest more often than the slick shooter. it kinks and stays kinked too making it more likely too know in that same place again.. i do have the big stuff 60 and 80 lb on my metal deterctor 720 tho and 80lb spider wire for teh backing........ nothings gonna get away from me with that rig ;)

As a not so great caster, I'm not a fan of mono type running lines. I'd rather be fishing than worrying about uncoiling. If you're out in BC, bump up to 30lb ridge, the sacrifice in distance won't affect fishability, might even enhance it as you'll have your fly in the water more. No matter what you're using, always ensure that your weekest point is closest to the fly. Fly's and tippet are way cheaper to loose than tips, shooting heads and running lines.

Slick does the trick for me John. As Max said, stretch before first use or two, then you are off. I fished slick on both my main rigs this season and had no problems. It takes a little getting used to pinching it to the cork and this was my primary concern early on, but after a few days you get used to it, no issues. I have never had any problem wit setting the hook with this set up as others have mentioned as a possible con of the system, just business as usual with a little more shootability, less stick. I would say the only real con for me has been that the lifespan is fairly short, but then it is cheap and replaceable.

Hey dude. SS is what i ended up using on the stick u sold me. It shoots like crazy. Doesnt knot up like i thought it would. Its my first setup so i cant compare but it seems to work well. Picks up easy and like maxwell said stacks good too. Kinda slick when tryin to set up or start a cast sometimes tho. Can slip a bit.