Fly Fusion Forums

Drift Boats

On any given day in the summer you'll see a variety of boats floating the Bow.Some old some new,they all work.My question is what do you like or dislike?Things like oar lock positions, seat hight ,rocker,side height and rod holders and the like.

I'm thinking of building a "Bow" drifter, something a little more suited for our slower water,maybe wider bottom with lower sides and less rocker to float the shallows.Better rod storage and maybe even a bow mount electric for when the east wind kicks up or you just don't feel like rowing.

Interested to here your thoughts.

Rod storage for 10' rods, oversize cup holders. Umbrella stand ;)

I am also not a fan of bench seats in the front & back of the boat. I prefer a post mounted seat to allow more foot room. Big feet plus wading boots makes for a tight fit.

If you want to borrow Roger Fletcher's book let me know. It has some plans in the book for a couple of different boats. http://www.riverstouch.com/

A

If I was going to build another one, I think I'd take a long look at a skiff.

I've looked at Aaron's a couple of times and was pretty impressed.

Gaffer has it right, no bench seats. I would recommend building pedastels rather than a post. We have

approx 16" x 16" boxes under our front and rower's seat. Makes it way easier to move around and the added storage is nice as well.

When we built our boat, we built the rower's seat 4" higher than the seat in a Clack. I find it a little more comfortable and you can see better.

My $.02

BK

A large outboard jet is always a good idea, and I'd recommend considering a boat that rides a little deeper in the water, as I hear the more water you push and bigger of waves you create as you motor past wading fishermen the better...

Note: This is not directed at any jet boater or group of jet boaters, but rather just a joke. Not meant to be offensive in any way.

In my Hyde I have bench seats in the front and middle which are awesome for over night trips and keeping things dry. My rear seat is on a post and I hate it. Fly line gets wrapped around it easily, it wobbles and always feels unstable. I think a pedestal or a cooler seat would be a good addition to any drift boat by comparison to a rear bench or post seat. The other thing I don't like about my boat is the rear Hyde knee brace is flimsy and feels cheap compared to the front knee brace. I think having a really solid mounted rear knee brace would make a big difference especially since all the beers will be under the rear seat.

I have a older Clack & the only things that I would change is the rear leg brace to a newer version. It is a pain to climb over when changing rowers or sometimes getting in & out, but it is a good place to store the cooler when only 2 in the boat & the road storage. I have extra rods hanging out the back sometimes & have to make dam sure they are secure. I just about lost one once going under some trees & just by luck I caught before it went overboard.

Mike, Are you going to build a stitch & glue or a framed boat?

I dont think you will find a nicer boat than those built by Montana Boat Builders. If you are building a S&G I think their skiff would be idea for the Bow. They also sell plans which is a HUGE help.

Andrew

make sure your rod holders / tubes are long 10 footers as mentioned, but also make sure they cover areas where people normally step in/out of the boat. the only complaint I have about dutchie hyde I worked this year was those rod holders... too short for ten footers, and the tube was not long enough to cover the area where the person in the front used to step out of the boat a lot of the time, had to be really careful!!! so... not enough protection for the rods.

All good stuff thanks for the responses so far.

The pedestal seat is a good one however for the home build it presents a few problems.In order for it to be strong it has to be attached to a sub floor that sits above the curved (rocker) parts of the hull.This allows some movement in the hull if you ever hit a rock.This just adds too much weight for what I'm after so the bench is the only thing that works,this also gives good side support and allows the floor to move a bit.

Rod holders are a must as has been said,not sure if straight bench's along the sides to store them in or if the bent tubes just under the gunnel's are the best.

Anyone have experience with Boulder boat works? They make the hulls out of HDPE, same stuff as whitewater kayaks, look pretty nice but not very common

Nice looking boats,made from VHMW-PE plastic (Very High Molecular Weight-Polyethylene).Talk about one tough boat.

• 2 weeks later...
If I was going to build another one, I think I'd take a long look at a skiff.

I've looked at Aaron's a couple of times and was pretty impressed.

Gaffer has it right, no bench seats. I would recommend building pedastels rather than a post. We have

approx 16" x 16" boxes under our front and rower's seat. Makes it way easier to move around and the added storage is nice as well.

When we built our boat, we built the rower's seat 4" higher than the seat in a Clack. I find it a little more comfortable and you can see better.

My $.02

BK

Out of curiosity what type of bottom did you use?How thick and how much fiberglass?If you did it again what would you change?

Did you also raise the oar locks?

On any given day in the summer you'll see a variety of boats floating the Bow.Some old some new,they all work.My question is what do you like or dislike?Things like oar lock positions, seat hight ,rocker,side height and rod holders and the like.

I'm thinking of building a "Bow" drifter, something a little more suited for our slower water,maybe wider bottom with lower sides and less rocker to float the shallows.Better rod storage and maybe even a bow mount electric for when the east wind kicks up or you just don't feel like rowing.

Interested to here your thoughts.

Hey Mike

I fished out of the 16' Flypod from Clacka and thought the rod storage was great tho rods had to be broken down to store tho left rigged ready to go. Lock and Go system, indoor outdoor carpet to step in and out of. Great for Lakes, with you and your 6 rods in the boat ,now you can take 10 rods.

Mikey

Out of curiosity what type of bottom did you use?How thick and how much fiberglass?If you did it again what would you change?

We put 2 layers of 6oz cloth inside and out over 3/8 fir plywood.

When we built this boat, neither one of us knew anything about drift boats. If I was to build another one, it would be as I said above, skiff style, with the lowest sides possible to avoid wind.

On a side note, UHMW for the bottom is heavy and you have to screw it as glue doesn't adhere.

Did you also raise the oar locks?

About 2 inches. Our boat is pretty wide so with the 9'6" oars, we didn't have to raise the oarlocks that much.

If you want to have a look at it, shoot me a PM.

BK

• 2 months later...

My boat: 2007 Clacka 15' LP, I use to row a Hyde low side with a g4 bottom and then switched to the Clack. It is lighter and rows better in my opinion, it is also practically indestructable and requires zero maintenance which is awesome considering Idaho Falls is a bit of a drive!

I would consider upgrading to the newer Clack model, the Flypod. This boat has cool really cool storage and the capacity to store twice as many rods ie 4..

My boat: 2007 Clacka 15' LP, I use to row a Hyde low side with a g4 bottom and then switched to the Clack. It is lighter and rows better in my opinion, it is also practically indestructable and requires zero maintenance which is awesome considering Idaho Falls is a bit of a drive!

I would consider upgrading to the newer Clack model, the Flypod. This boat has cool really cool storage and the capacity to store twice as many rods ie 4..

I've got the 2008 Hyde XL with 3 bench seats. The dry storage from 3 benches is great. With the XL model I can carry a full size cooler and have 3 benches and still have lots of room Only thing I have to put in my boat to float is my rods and flies and cooler. Also having 4 rods all strung up and ready to fish is a major time saver on the water. Good anchor system thats easy to use is a plus in any boat.