Fly Fusion Forums

Logging In Castle As Early As Next Week

Just got a heads up from some old colleagues that logging is intended to start as early as next week in the Castle. I know a lot of us love this area. I also know a lot of us complain about pressure, poaching, etc., but as many of you know one of the biggest threats to fisheries is logging (I've attached a link to some academic papers below), with erosion/silt deposit being a big issue, which then has an impact on stream flow/levels and hence mortality (focus of second article below). Since there is a new leader in our government, there may be a chance to have an impact. Below is a link to the CPAWS website (they have a campaign going). Or alternatively, call your elected official and speak to them directly.

CPAWS:

http://salsa.democracyinaction.org/o/2463/...action_KEY=8461

ARTICLES:

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1577...LA%3E2.3.CO%3B2

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111...3126.x/abstract

Cheers,

Sean

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

PKG, what are you getting so uppety(sp) about. are you trying to ask people on the forum to sign or as you responding to one of the articals?

i signed to potition

Best of luck on this one.

I tried everything I could (and recieved significant help from others with much more experience in these matters) to get something done about some of the poor logging practices on the upper Red Deer (entire feeder creeks logged nearly to the banks). After 2 years nothing changed.

The general attitude is that it's all bound to burn anyways so might as well harvest it.

The rules regarding buffer strips and stream classification need to be changed and people need to understand that a forest fire leaves behind a very different ecosytem than clear-cut logging.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

yah up pkg i just dont get your point. I think people are becoming less and less impacted as these threads are being poped up once a month.

Me too! I went down to protest at the McDougle Centre earlier this year and I have written letters!! So I'm allowed to bitch!

P

Just because no one responded does not mean no one has done anything, I have written a couple of letters to my mla about this but I guess because I did not post on here I did nothing. Edit

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

problem is people think potitions will work for everything. they WILL log it at some point when the right abount of $$ are poceted. but i dont care much as i dont fish there

I bet you could have a million names on this petition and logging will still happen, granted the petition may make small adjustments to quell the mass but it will be logged. Or they will not log what can be seen from the road as they have in Wiapourace (sorry for the spelling)

There are logging is provincial parks under the disguise of protecting the woods from the pine beetle.

What is needed is some honest politicians.

I bet you could have a million names on this petition and logging will still happen, granted the petition may make small adjustments to quell the mass but it will be logged. Or they will not log what can be seen from the road as they have in Wiapourace (sorry for the spelling)

There are logging is provincial parks under the disguise of protecting the woods from the pine beetle.

What is needed is some honest politicians.

Lol, funniest thing I ever heard: HONEST POLITICAN

Show me a honest politican in the world that does not have some type of secert agenda and I will be surprised.

You do know there is a very special place in HELL for MOST politicans.

Lol, funniest thing I ever heard: HONEST POLITICAN

Show me a honest politican in the world that does not have some type of secert agenda and I will be surprised.

You do know there is a very special place in HELL for MOST politicans.

I did not say there is one but rather we need one.

Hell would be too good.

[sarc]the lumber industry should be ashamed of itself [/sarc] we could import from a third world country perhaps. this is a great example of NIMBY. forestry is always in someones backyard. alberta could forget the tar sands and stop exporting oil. stop drilling and stop exporting gas. stop exporting wheat and cattle. lets stop exporting all of our resources in Canada. calgary probably has good food banks. perhaps people who work in the resource sector need to rethink their position. maybe there is a better way to get trees. any ideas. other than not in your backyard :devil:

jones

Wood-framed_house.jpg

copypaper_color.gif

pic9.jpg

sherwood-hockey-stick-rm7-09-int.jpg

wood-kitchen-cabinets.gif

Pine-Wood-Furniture.jpg

white-wood-2.jpg

newspaper_stack.jpg

starbucks_front.jpg