Fly Fusion Forums

Ridgeline Or Santa Fe

I have a Ridgeline, downsized from a Ram 1500.

Overall, it is my favorite vehicle ever. It is a joy to drive in the city and highway, as it handles more like a car than a truck (the Honda west boys can tell you why, I think it is on the same frame as the Pilot). I have had it off road several times, with no issues. I have not had to use 4 Low in it yet, I've just let the automatic 4WD software do its thing. I will say it is a bit disconcerting the first time the vehicle senses it is loosing control and kills the accelerator. But after you get over the shock, it is a nice system.

It does not get the mileage I was hoping (upside is it does have more than sufficient power). I don't know that I would take it full on offroading. Actually, i do know I wouldn't. Clearance is certainly less than a standard pickup, and the undercarriage is not made to bash around. I might consider moving up to 20" tires as the ones I have on now are getting old and I could use the extra 3". I have highway tires on now, I might go a touch more aggressive next time.

My wife HATED the Ram. She loves the Honda. One could see this as a disadvantage however.

Anyway, I really, really like mine.

My wife has had a few different Hyundais they are good cars, they don't have the interior finish of more expensive rides or the paint quality but hey do run. If you have to do any repairs though the parts are crazy expensive. That being said our current Sonata has a gremlin that can't be found that causes the car to hick up at idle.

Personally I'd get honda, only because of the bed and it will look more "appropiate" for towing a boat

if you really want to do it right buy a grand cherokee

My wife has had a few different Hyundais they are good cars, they don't have the interior finish of more expensive rides or the paint quality but hey do run. If you have to do any repairs though the parts are crazy expensive. That being said our current Sonata has a gremlin that can't be found that causes the car to hick up at idle.

Personally I'd get honda, only because of the bed and it will look more "appropiate" for towing a boat

if you really want to do it right buy a grand cherokee

Thx jayhad, why are you so up on the jeep? Would you go a 6 or 8?

I prefer nissan, and would strongly suggest a pathfinder, mine is 2003 with 200 000km and still feels and drives like new. Very stable and swift for a 4x4.

X2 except I am running a Frontier crew cab pick up. Still tight with nothing shaking after 6 years and lots of gravel and rough road. Great 4x4 and clearence. 4.0L V6 has no issue pulling my 21' hybrid trailer. 6000/lb max tow. Add a canopy and the have the storage of an SUV with an area that can get dirty.

Mileage for me loaded with gear is approx

11.5L per 100km HWy

12L per 100km City.

It is a manual 6 speed, think you would get better mileage with a automatic..?

Honda is a great product, no doubt, but for me a I need something a little more off road.

You are always welcome to come check mine out Paul. Going to drive it till the tires fall off!

James

I own the V6 grand Cherokee. Love mine. 250,000 km still going strong. Gets pretty decent mileage, however the power range is a little weak. If you are planning on towing I wouldn't recommend it.

If you do want to go grand Cherokee and need to tow I would look at the 3l diesel that they had a couple years ago. I have experience with them as well and they are extremely fuel efficient and lots of power to tow.

Thx guys, Rick is that a V6, and are they full time AWD, or is 4x4 and AWD option choices. What kind of milage do you get?

Muha, I had an exterra, and the fuel use scared me. Sounds like yours is a bit better milage. Any Santa Fe folks out there?

It is 6 cyl AWD, but from what I understood, the AWD does not not kick in unless the VTM (Variable Terrain Management) thinks it is necessary. There are few options with Honda's in general. They Ridgeline's are all AWD, they all have a 4 low (I think it is like a 20 KM/hr limit on that, but I could be wrong). I think there are 3 option packages, but that the engine and drive train is exactly the same in all.

I can't think in l/100 km. So I always convert to MPG. It gets around 17-18 overall. 20 or so on the highway.

Thx jayhad, why are you so up on the jeep? Would you go a 6 or 8?

My dad started buying Grand Cherokees in 89. I started driving one in 92. They are virtually unstopable, I currently have a fully loaded MINT 99 with the V8, that my dad bought for my mom new I average 11.6L/100k. It will tow pretty much anything I need and they will go anywhere, front and rear solid axles mated to a frame not a unibody. I have passed guys that have huge trucks stuck, my stock jeep makes it by. There are only a few vehicles in their stock form that can complete the Rubicon trail, the Grand Cherokee is one of them. That being said I did get it stuck this spring, I got it high centered. I have completed massive water crossings, I tow my boat all the time and the truck doesn't really notice

If you can find a Cherokee with the 3L Diesel get it, those engines are mercedes engines and will run for ever and the have great mileage. It has real 4X4 not AWD.

Clearance is certainly less than a standard pickup, and the undercarriage is not made to bash around. I might consider moving up to 20" tires as the ones I have on now are getting old and I could use the extra 3".

Just curious what you mean by this? I assume you mean move up to 20" rims, instead of 17" rims. Moving up to bigger rims wont give you extra clearance though, just less sidewall. Which obviously is not good for any off road driving.

Just curious what you mean by this? I assume you mean move up to 20" rims, instead of 17" rims. Moving up to bigger rims wont give you extra clearance though, just less sidewall. Which obviously is not good for any off road driving.

Unless I am a total spatial idiot (which isn't out of the questions), I would have thought that if I have a tire with a 3" bigger radius, then the distance from the axle to the ground will also increase by that radius.

Unless I am a total spatial idiot (which isn't out of the questions), I would have thought that if I have a tire with a 3" bigger radius, then the distance from the axle to the ground will also increase by that radius.

You are on a right train of thought Rick but typically you want to keep the over all size the same, there fore less sidewall. If you go to bigger wheels and tires you will first need to see if they fit, and clear everything in the full range of steering. You will also need to get your speedo redone as it won't compute propery with that large of a change. You also have to make sure that if you are turning and hit a bump your new bigger tire won't rip off your fender. A lift would be much easier

The 20's are actually an option for the ridgeline, I think the wheelwells are sized to fit up to 20. No lift required, from what I understand. But you can get a fairly inexpensive 2" lift as well (if the internet is to be believed). I knew about the speedo thing. Had oversized tires on a Chev Caprice once. Now THAT was a car to be reckoned with!

Anyway, it is a nice vehicle unless you are doing some hard core back road stuff. For the fishing I've done (off trunk roads, bc forestry roads, etc.), it is a fine option.

your wheel diameter is 3" bigger, not the radius (I've yet to see 40" diameter wheels) assuming the same size sidewall, then the distance from the axle to the ground will actually be only 1.5 inches more. N'est pas ?

I was confused by your original post. You mentioned going from a 17" tire to a 20" tire (which are smart car sized) on a honda ridgeline. Thats why I assumed you were meaning wheels not tires. Now you are still talking about 3" increase in tires. I believe the stock size tires on a ridgeline are 245/65SR17 (approx. 30" x 9.65 x 17). I dont think you would fit 33's on a ridgeline, or as mentioned you might be losing some plastic next time you hit a bump. My advice: keep the 17's, and move up a tire size or 2.