Fly Fusion Forums

Polarized

EdB

Have a question for ya all. Do you think that there is a difference between say a 40$ pair of glasses and a 200$ pair of polarized glasses? Does it make a dif in what you can see in the water or is it just a style and comfort thing? Tried LK2's glasses and they didn't seem much different than mine. Not to sure what he payed for his but mine are Crappy Tire brand.

Give me your opinion.

I buy $15 polarized 'cause I always break or lose them. I comparted mine to a $160 pair & they are as good, and coincidentally had the same brand name. Once they're scratched-up, it's easy to dump a $15 pair than a $160 pair. I'm all about the cheapo-specs as I feel that the big mark-ups in this case are more for name than anything. You might gain some comfort, but my cheapo's feel great all day long.

I used to buy the cheapos, but recently went to an expensive pair of "Maui Jim's" and have to say there is a huge difference.

Not only can I see in the water better, I get better UV protection which is very important the more time you spend on the water.

I was also told that they are virtually indestructible and I had my doubts, but I've definitely put them to the test and can't believe the abuse they have withstood.

I've had them for pretty much the full season and have yet to get a nick or scratch on them and believe me, they should have a few. I also look after them more than I would with the cheaper pairs, so I believe they'll last me longer. Actually, it's been close to 5 months so they already have.

They also have a great warranty that I hope not to use, but I'll say that I will definitely spend the money to get the better quality for all my future glasses.

I had a pair of Maui Jim's, of the prescription variety. Cost almost $600.00. Lost 'em after a year, which is about right for me for a pair of sunglasses. Loved them, can't afford them. I'll be getting clips for my regular glasses for in town and sunglasses that go over my regular glasses for fishing. Not as good quality, but much more affordable.

really depends HOW bad you wanna see the big guy behind the rock..my dad say polarized glasses are cheating.."no lookin'" he says...

I'm with your dad on this...no cheatin.

Fancy glasses, cheatin...

Waders, cheatin'...

boats, cheatin'...

net, cheatin'...

indicator, cheatin'...

Waders, cheatin'...

boats, cheatin'...

net, cheatin'...

indicator, cheatin'...

hahaha.. But if it wasn't for all those things Toolman.. I wouldn't have caught one damn fish this year!! :P

As far as the polarized glasses go.. I bought a $40 pair of "Optic Nerve" glasses at WSS this year and they worked great. Tried on CDock's Oakley's and couldn't tell a difference.

Of course.. CDock still has his Oakley's.. meanwhile, I set my glasses on the top of my car while doing something else and then drove away! This was in front of my house.. came home figuring they'd be lying on the road there somewhere but they were gone. Someone went home with some new glasses that day! Damn thief!

Waders, cheatin'...

boats, cheatin'...

net, cheatin'...

indicator, cheatin'...

Are you now helping BC with their regulations? If so, you need to add:

More than one fly, cheatin'

External weight, cheatin'

Fishin' more than one classified water per day (without paying for each one), cheatin'

I'm mostly with maxwell on this, but I put it this way; IF you can find a cheap pair with excellent optical quality, good fit, scratch resistance and that certain je ne sais quois, buy two pairs.

Flyfishing and fly tying are things that require small acts to be done with great concentration. If you're losing your glasses, sitting on them, tossing them under your fishing buddy's foot, then you've got a problem besides glasses. You're also gonna be the guy or girl who drives off with her flyrod leaning up against the truck. Don't ask me how I know this, I just do.

-flyangler, who hasn't lost a pair of sunglasses since the year she propped her rod up against her truck and drove off.

Because of the strong Canadian dollar coinciding with my trip to Seattle in a couple of weeks, I'm going to be buying a nice pair of polarized Oakleys. I leave a cheapo pair of Walmart-special polarized glasses in my truck. The last guy who broke into it didn't even bother taking them, haha. The one I mainly use is a pair I got from the Richmond Night Market for $8. 1 year, no scratches, and still going strong!

However, I can tell the difference in the quality between the Oakley lens and the cheapos...

Waders, cheatin'...

boats, cheatin'...

net, cheatin'...

indicator, cheatin'...

Im down with all those..but a guy needs to keep the sun out of his eyes....what if i float sometimes but stop to fish??? bought a new boat in the spring, only seent he water 6-7 times...

I've had too many people to count try expensive pairs for 2 minutes to compare them to their cheaper pair and say they can't tell the difference.

First off, you would need a lot more time to actually get the difference and second, the more expensive pairs aren't just going to allow a person to see into the water better.

They will have better protection for the health and safety of your eyes. They will also have a better warranty and be less likely to get damaged and/or scratched.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend someone that makes an average income going out and spending $400 on Glasses. The cheaper pairs would be just fine to fit a person's budget. The extra money would be better spent on other Fly Fishing needs rather than Sun glasses.

I'll also add that the person that started this thread is not unlike a lot of other anglers on the water in the sense that they are fairly new to the sport. Don't get frustrated because someone can see fish that you can't. Spotting fish comes with experience and the most expensive Polarized glasses on the planet can't replace experience.

My Grandpa never wore sun glasses and could see fish better than anyone with their's on.

Look for me on the River and I'll help you out with some fish spotting tips. I'll be the guy with the fancy Polarized Glasses on, slick re-enforced Hodgman Waders, with a big bright indicator with 3 flies tied under it, a net hanging off my nice new Sims Vest and probably standing upstream of my pontoon boat ;)

With regards to the scratching issue. You can spend whatever amount you wabt, but, if the set you buy are polycarbonate ( what most people buy) they will scratch. Mine are Action Optics (riptide) that I bouught 5 years ago and were about 200 bucks. They are glass which is heavy but not a mark on em! Worth every penny.

As MTB stated, most would tend to take care of the expensive ones.

While reading this topic I thought of a shopping tip. Mountain Equipment Co-op has these grey lens cloth sunglass bags in their optic department. Great for their primary use but also for a bag for a small digital camera. They protect it and clean it.

Price?

FREE!!

Now don't go in there and grab a hundred and walk out. Grab a couple and a toothbrush holder and head to the checkout.

I'll also add that the person that started this thread is not unlike a lot of other anglers on the water in the sense that they are fairly new to the sport. Don't get frustrated because someone can see fish that you can't. Spotting fish comes with experience and the most expensive Polarized glasses on the planet can't replace experience.

My Grandpa never wore sun glasses and could see fish better than anyone with their's on.

On that subject.... the only fish I have spotted and subsequently caught are ones that have risen, if even subtly. I've tried to spot fish under water (wearing cheap polarized glasses) and can't say that I've seen any. I've looked for shadows, flashes, etc in places I would expect fish to hold. Sometimes I think I see a flash or shadow but I think it's just ripples or else my mind playing with me. Is there something else I'm missing (e.g. patience)?

I wonder if they sell polarized goggles or periscopes.

I'm all about the half jackets by Oakley. Interchangeable lenses. I can switch to clear lenses in the dark and still have protection. When I need the polarized I just pop in. When the lenses get scratched simply buy more lenses. I've been using this interchangeable system for years. Several others make them like Nike and Smith and I'm sure there are others. Love the system, glasses for any condition. I believe Oakley just came out with a "Fishing Specific" lens. I haven't checked it out but I wil lbe.