Fly Fusion Forums

Vacation Ideas

My wife and I, and possibly the kids, are planning a vacation to somewhere south (Mexico, Central America, Caribbean, etc), probably in mid Jan to mid Feb. We have never done this type of trip as our vacations have always consisted of visiting far flung family.

So I'm looking for ideas. I want to go to Honduras, but the wife does not like the fact that it looks like an overnight in Houston to get there. I haven't given up on the idea yet, but it doesn't look good. So basically, I'm looking for someplace where there is a fishable beach pretty close to where we would be staying. She would be ok with me sneaking out in the morning early, but I don't think that she is going to be down with an all day trip, unless of course I can talk her into the boat ride. Really, the trip is more for her, but anyplace with reasonable fishing opportunities would be welcome. Cuba is out for me due to US citizenship (I know there are ways around it, but the ex-military in me won't let me go).

Thanks in advance!

you should hit Cuba, it's awesome there's none of those crazy american'ts there....... :lol:

Belieze, Costa Rica, Nicarauga all great options if you go to the north eastern Costa Rica or South Eastern Nica, you can fish the lake for baby tarpon and bull sharks. Baby tarpon are 50-80lbs

Pffffftttttt why go South like everyone else. Bunch'o'lemmings.

I hear that Kamchatka is balmy and beautiful that time of year if you bring a parka and good boots. ;-) Go catch some of dem big wild mouse eating rainbow trout and salmon on the Zhupanova.

(Do I need to insert a sarcasm note here? I don't want anyone to confuse the above as an actual honest to goodness post when all I am doing is merely trying to bump up my post number. But in all seriousness those rainbows would be awesome. But I guess if a guy HAS to go somewhere warm and sip Mi Tai's Costa Rica, Cuba and Belize would be my choices. In that order.)

Rick, my wife and I went to Huatulco in Mexico. It's on the west coast but unlike any of the other resorts ie Acapulco, Puerto Vallarta. There are eight beaches, all separated by points of land. To get to most of them you either hike, take a cab or go by boat. Most of them are in the National Park. We stayed with my wife's sister and her husband, so we flew via Houston, but there are direct flights if you buy a package at an all inclusive. Which is the way I would go next time. The fishing was reasonable, I only got out once and caught a Colorado Snapper. Not bad for a Canadian prairie boy. It's very clean, quiet and there is a lot to do, or not if you just want to lay on the beach.

you should hit Cuba, it's awesome there's none of those crazy american'ts there....... :lol:

Belieze, Costa Rica, Nicarauga all great options if you go to the north eastern Costa Rica or South Eastern Nica, you can fish the lake for baby tarpon and bull sharks. Baby tarpon are 50-80lbs

I second this ;)

• 2 weeks later...