Fly Fusion Forums

Question About Awd And 4x4

Can someone explain to me the difference between AWD and 4 wheel drive? I used to own a Dakota with shift on the fly into 4-High. Then park or neutral to get into 4-Low. Fine. No prob.

But is AWD apply the same power to 4 wheels as when you are in 4x4? Are AWD vehicles always in AWD mode? Can I expect the same off-roading experience in AWD as 4x4 (probably not, right?)

Just thinking ahead to my next vehicle.

Smitty

AWD is full time front wheel drive and the rear kicks in when the front slips.On most cars i think.

I have the "auto" 4 wheel drive mode(option) in my GMC and was told by the gear guys to not use it.To hard on the transfer case i guess.

Can I expect the same off-roading experience in AWD as 4x4 (probably not, right?)

Depends on if it's AWD or full-time 4WD with multi-mode. On a truck like the 4Runner Limited or manual transmission FJ it's a true 4WD with a centre diff to switch from AWD to 4WD and also can be switched between 4HI and 4LO. A part-time 4WD system like on the other 4Runner models means that you're in RWD (2HI) until you switch the transfer case through a lever or button into 4HI or 4LO and power is applied evenly to all 4 wheels (never drive in true 4WD on dry pavement). AWD usually involves a viscous coupling or ECU that transfers power to the wheels that are slipping and doesn't have 4HI and 4LO options like Audi's Quattro system. I've seen people take an AWD like a RAV4 off-road, but I wouldn't do it myself. True 4WD systems also have other options like locking diffs and ATRAC to improve off-road performance.

How much off-roading are you planning on doing and by off-roading do you mean dirt/gravel like an FSR or do you mean running trails like Whipsaw?

This is interesting....and timely because I'm about to give up my 2WD vehicle for a 4WD one and thought that 4WD was the same as AWD. So....if you're using the vehicle just for driving in the city and want the 4WD or AWD mostly for winter driving comfort is it going to give me the same piece of mind with AWD vs 4WD? The vehicle I want is marked as AWD and I'd hate to have to go to something else, but will if I can't get the benefits of a 4WD for winter driving.

a quick read copied from Wiki

The term four-wheel drive typically describes larger passenger vehicles that may allow the driver to manually switch (sometimes with an automatic option) between two-wheel drive mode (if available) for streets and four-wheel drive mode for low-traction conditions such as ice, mud, snow, or loose gravel.

All-wheel drive (AWD) is often used to describe a "full time" 4WD that may be used on dry pavement without damaging the differentials, although the term may be abused when marketing a vehicle[2][non-primary source needed] as there are no specific definitions or guidelines (per the SAE for example) to differentiate these terms.[3] AWD can be used on dry pavement because it employs a center differential, which allows each axle to rotate at a different speed. This eliminates driveline binding, wheel hop, and other driveline issues associated with the use of 4WD on dry pavement. For vehicles with more than four wheels, AWD means all wheels drive the vehicle, to varying degrees of engagement, while 4WD means only four of the wheels drive the vehicle continuously. For example, an AWD vehicle with six wheels is often described as a 6×6, the M35 2½ ton cargo truck being one of the best-known examples (dual wheels on the rear axles are not counted as additional drive wheels).

Because all 4 tires in a full time AWD system are connected by a system of differentials, they are potentially very susceptible to torque reduction when a wheel loses traction. Without sophisticated traction control systems, they would become immobilized when any one of the four tires lost traction. A traditional part time 4WD system does not connect the front and rear via a differential, and therefore does not suffer any front/rear torque reduction—if a front tire loses traction, it does not reduce torque delivered to the rear tires, even without traction control systems.

Part-time 4WD systems are mechanically simpler and cheaper than AWD systems. Also, a part-time 4WD transfer case is usually equipped with a reduction gear setting that provides for higher torque at lower speeds, a vital feature for vehicles that will see much off-road use. In AWD systems a more expensive separate reduction gearbox is usually used. The main drawback of 4WD is that because it lacks a center differential, a part-time 4WD system can only be used in low traction situations where the wheels have the ability to slip as needed.

For these reasons, full-time AWD is appropriate for improving on-road handling and is seen on cars and car-based crossover SUVs, while traditional part-time 4WD systems without center differentials, or with locking center differentials, are better for heavy-duty use such as off-road or in deep snow and are commonly seen on trucks and truck-based SUVs.

Manufacturers often use these terms interchangeably, and the English word all is obviously equivalent to the word four when referring to a set of four wheels. In typical use, the terms are used as described above, but they are not fixed or legal definitions, and some manufacturers, such as Honda, often use the term "four wheel drive" when referring to systems that include center differentials. These terms are therefore not always very reliable for assessing the features and capabilities of a given drivetrain.

Identical drivetrain systems are commonly marketed under different names for upmarket and downmarket branding and, conversely, different drivetrain systems are commonly marketed under the same name for brand uniformity. Audi's quattro, Mercedes-Benz's 4Matic, BMW with the xDrive, Saab's XWD, and Volkswagen's 4motion, for example, can mean either an automatically engaging "on-demand" system with Borg-Warner ITM 3e magnetic or Haldex Traction hydraulic clutch, or a continuously-operating permanent 4WD system with a Torsen (torque-sensing) or other type of a differential.

This is interesting....and timely because I'm about to give up my 2WD vehicle for a 4WD one and thought that 4WD was the same as AWD. So....if you're using the vehicle just for driving in the city and want the 4WD or AWD mostly for winter driving comfort is it going to give me the same piece of mind with AWD vs 4WD? The vehicle I want is marked as AWD and I'd hate to have to go to something else, but will if I can't get the benefits of a 4WD for winter driving.

If you aren't planning on taking the vehicle off road then AWD is the system you want.

The wiki article that jayhad posted isn't entirely accurate (not surprising for wikipedia) since it doesn't differentiate properly between AWD and a true full-time 4WD with a locking centre diff.

Here's a learning tool that was created for Toyota salesmen:

http://www.majormedia2.com/4WDSimplifiedv5/4WD.html

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

AWD is the best imho Im running a Legacy and a pathfinder and i find that the SUB will go anywhere in any conditions and for a car this is very impressive. She does not slip on corners and takes the FTR at 95km/h with no floating sensation.

The best system to get is a viscus clutch. This is very low maint and it is darn near bullet proof as there is not really any gears for belts flying around. Yes you still have to maintain your fluids but thats about it.

The subaru runs a 60/40 split when your driving it nicely but when you put your foot down it goes 50/50 or even up to 20/80 (if you like to tweek your set up)

I own a ram 4x4 and a subaru imprezza. In massive deep snow and mud, the truck is better, but for all other driving conditions, I prefer the sub. I can fly down the FTR and it goes everywhere I have asked it to take me. Will always have a subaru in my driveway.