Fly Fusion Forums

Part Time Jobs At Bass Pro

CrisD

I did it for a while (fly shop) got to meet some 'interesting' folks. For me the commute (37km one way) was too much for a couple shifts a week. Funny thing is I never used my discount once, is that a sign that I may have too much gear already :closedeyes: .

By the way the flies come from Umpqua and Rainys with the little tags already on them.

Colin

Is he the one that places the little price tags on each fly?

Wow... I just coughed up my coffee. That is some funny stuff!

On another note...IMHO BassPro is the worst store in town and I will be happy to visit the smaller, independent guys who seem to care, know what they are talking about, know the river and give you the time of day.

** No offense meant Colin!!

Wow... I just coughed up my coffee. That is some funny stuff!

On another note...IMHO BassPro is the worst store in town and I will be happy to visit the smaller, independent guys who seem to care, know what they are talking about, know the river and give you the time of day.

** No offense meant Colin!!

None Taken, can't say that everyone I worked with pulled their weight and went out of their way to help folks, another reason I left. In all honesty though I've had poor service in almost every shop in the city, sometimes people just have an off day.

Colin

Sometimes its not only the employee that contributes to bad service. There are 3 shops in town that I have never had bad service at. I think in part you get what you give.

Do people know who you are in these shops? My guess is yes, your a seasoned veteran out there SD and people respect you for it! Its not the same for everyone. I personally have found that the flyfishing community is very small and cliquey, to some extent or the other most of us know who each other is just form hanging around this website. Honestly Im with CDone on this one, Ive recieved crappy service everywhere. Im sure it was just me though, going in to buy a $5.00 pack of hooks and leaving with $120.00 + worth of tying supplies or whatever is uasually a good enough reason to give someone attitude. Glad I dont do that anymore.

Do people know who you are in these shops? My guess is yes, your a seasoned veteran out there SD and people respect you for it! Its not the same for everyone. I personally have found that the flyfishing community is very small and cliquey, to some extent or the other most of us know who each other is just form hanging around this website. Honestly Im with CDone on this one, Ive recieved crappy service everywhere. Im sure it was just me though, going in to buy a $5.00 pack of hooks and leaving with $120.00 + worth of tying supplies or whatever is uasually a good enough reason to give someone attitude. Glad I dont do that anymore.

:mellow: Why would you give attitude for deciding to pay more than what you went in there for? Missing the point there?

I would have to say that for me, BPS is last on my list for service. However, I have been treated very well at Wholesale, and Fish Tales. I have for the most part, always been given great service.

Also, first time visit to Southbow yesterday, and upon informing Mike I was a first time customer, and was looking for a few flies to try out on my day off down at Police. He showed my numerous flies, talked about what he seen was working, made some great recommendations, and I caught a few fish as a result of some great advice. If you are reading this Mike, thanks for extending your hand to me, it was nice meeting you.

I too, think that, if you come in to a store with a bad mood, you will most likely get treated the same way you are portraying yourself. Aside from BPS, I think we have it pretty good here with the fly stores.

:cheers:

Cgy

Guest bobjones
:mellow: Why would you give attitude for deciding to pay more than what you went in there for? Missing the point there?

I would have to say that for me, BPS is last on my list for service.

Depends on what you are looking for. If you're new to flyfishing or need someone to talk to, then hit the smaller shop, get the advice and probably pay more. I don't shop, I buy - and so when I go to the fly shop I already know what I want and price is at the top of my list for service.

That said, does seem like Bass pro pricing could be better given that it is bob box. I think the fact that they are moving tons of merchandise to every noob out there is resulting in them not having to offer great pricing.

Never said 'crappy'. For me poor service can be a simple as lack of acknowledgement when I enter a shop, I don't expect the clerk to jump but at least a nod or 'hows it going' would suffice. And I agree with Lornce you do get what you give.

Colin