Fly Fusion Forums

Tfo Bvk 9ft, 6wt Review

Took the new rod for a test drive at the lake today. Three fly rig, big indicator and 32 feet of leader...no problem. The rod is light, powerful and a pleasure to cast. Even brings fish in nicely. I tried it with the full sinking line and it was not much work to get the whole line out. It feels like a great tool.

#6 skid bitch is about the smallest size of fly I've been trying to throw. The 1st line I tried was junk, not the rod's fault. But even lining up with the headstart hasn't produced much ability. It might just not be a rod with the 'get up and go' to be a pike stick...we'll see what happens with the pike taper. I find the action, even with lighter flies, to be very snappy and annoying. I don't like ultra fast tip action rods, and this one sure seems to land squarely in that pile.

Sounds to me that its just to heavy for them scrawny arms of yours,maybe try something a little lighter perhaps something like this.

post-2125-1312420799.jpg

Maybe one day you'll be big enough for that stick, but for now you should start out small.

Your welcome..

I think PGK problem is not with the rod itself, I think it is just the type of action that he does not like. I like fast tip recoveries but a mid flex rod.

I have casted a couple of the bvk's with streamers that have a ton of lead wrapped on it, and it did take me a couple of casts before I got the hang of it, had to adjust my casting in order to cast it. Needless to say I would not be buying one for myself as it is not suited towards my casting likes.

Took the new rod for a test drive at the lake today. Three fly rig, big indicator and 32 feet of leader...no problem. The rod is light, powerful and a pleasure to cast. Even brings fish in nicely. I tried it with the full sinking line and it was not much work to get the whole line out. It feels like a great tool.

I bought the same BVK 6wt just prior to my fishing holiday 4 weeks ago and could not agree more. One of the best rods out there and excellent value. I was prepared to buy a Sage VXP at twice the price but could not find a good reason to do so when I compared them. I have SA GPX F6 line on it and casts very well. Pleasantly surprised at how well and far it casts the lightest dry flies but I am sure much credit must also go to the excellent line. Highly recommended!

Funny, I don't seem to have any problem throwing 6/0 coon flies and hauling in 20lb jacks on my $70 beater 9wt. Call me when you can throw a 2oz fly 70' in a headwind and land it six inches from a 45" jack. ;mornCoffee:

I think the SA pike taper will solve it's problems. Contrary to what the industry would have you believe, fast action rods do not cast 'better' or farther than medium action rods, and they are the absolute shits for big flies. It may become my small popper dryline rod, but I hate niche rods.

How big of flies are you chucking jksnijders?

Not a "Bow River" tape measure..

Standard postage envelope.

The cradle is 47", but I can post a pic of that too.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

i got to cast one last night and it a a rocket with a reel! amazing sticks and effortless casting! im going to be saving my pennies for one of these.