Fly Fusion Forums

Transalta Canyon Dam

Those fluctuations are shitty and are mostly the result of the Transalta situation. Since early July, every storm results in a huge spike and prolonged dirtying of the water. Thankfully we've actually had a pretty decent summer with only sporadic rainstorms. I think this could have gotten much worse.

So reading through yesterday's Globe and Mail there was a big notice from the National Energy Board regarding Transalta wanting a permit to export electrical power to the United States. Lots of it is being generated in their Alberta facilities. It strikes me that if they can't manage their hydro projects properly here they should be shutting them down and using their other facilities here to provide power here where it's generated, not selling it to the US.

Has TU (at least the local chapters-Calgary and Banff) issued any statements or calls to action? I know non-profit organizations are limited in their ability to do advocacy work, but there is a certain % of time and resources that can be allocated to this type of work and this event seems to warrant it. Just went on the website and didn't see anything. If anything, this is something to speak out against and organize action around. Also, anyone know if TransAlta is a sponsor of TU? That may have an impact on things.

I wanted to let everyone know that we are deeply concerned about what has happened on the Spray River and have met with Trans Alta to discuss the situation and express our views.

Unfortunately the harm has been done and there is no obvious short term solution. We are currently waiting to see what the regulatory authorities are going to do. It is possible that Trans Alta will be obligated to mitigate the damage that has been done and TUC will be available to assist with that mitigation.

Yes, we have received funding from Trans Alta in the past. We have worked co-operatively with the company over the years, as we have with many other other companies. We believe that our co-operative approach should lead to longer-term habitat solutions.

The funding we receive does not affect how we react to events like this.

If anyone wants to discuss this, just call me at 403 221-8363.

Also see http://www.tucanada.org/TUC_newsitem.php?item=000203

Jeff Surtees

Trout Unlimited Canada

CEO

Along with Caddis, the stone hatch was short, not to mention mayflies, BWO etc. I'm also worried about the hatched fry of different species having to struggle against adverse water conditions. Not to mention the amount of silt that has deposited now in gravel beds and areas used by fall spawning fish. I know that the upper and lower Bow has taken a real beating, how soon Jeff will biologists look at present and future damage and report publicly on our Blue Ribbon Fishery?

I wanted to let everyone know that we are deeply concerned about what has happened on the Spray River and have met with Trans Alta to discuss the situation and express our views.

Unfortunately the harm has been done and there is no obvious short term solution. We are currently waiting to see what the regulatory authorities are going to do. It is possible that Trans Alta will be obligated to mitigate the damage that has been done and TUC will be available to assist with that mitigation.

Yes, we have received funding from Trans Alta in the past. We have worked co-operatively with the company over the years, as we have with many other other companies. We believe that our co-operative approach should lead to longer-term habitat solutions.

Jeff Surtees

Trout Unlimited Canada

CEO

Along with Caddis, the stone hatch was short, not to mention mayflies, BWO etc.

I think it's difficult to say how much impact the dam had on those hatches and how much was just the exceptionally cold and wet spring we had. The BWO hatch probably wouldn't have been affected by the dam at all. There could potentially be an impact on next year's hatches though and like you mention the brown spawn this fall.

Jeff, I have to say that TU supporter page was a bit of an eyeopener for me. I can't see how there wouldn't be a major conflict of interest with so many of the supporters also being some of the biggest threats to coldwater habitats. The fact that Shell is on that list and what they are trying to do to the Skeena is unconscionable.

Along with Caddis, the stone hatch was short, not to mention mayflies, BWO etc. I'm also worried about the hatched fry of different species having to struggle against adverse water conditions.

What, it killed the mid July and Early August major BWO hatch....oh wait

Also see http://www.tucanada.org/TUC_newsitem.php?item=000203

Jeff Surtees

Trout Unlimited Canada

CEO

Has TUC made an attempt to raise the publics awareness of the issue. Written to the paper. Requested an interview with the CBC? Have the ever made any public statement in opposition to a sponsor?

I think that an aspect of this that is overlooked is the fact that Transalta was approved to implement and operate this station. How are they legally responsible for any damage done if the Government approved them?

This didn't happen because they failed to meet all the regulatory standards. This happened because *hit happens.

note-not advocating Transalta here. Just saying that I don't see anyone going to jail over this.

I think that an aspect of this that is overlooked is the fact that Transalta was approved to implement and operate this station. How are they legally responsible for any damage done if the Government approved them?

This didn't happen because they failed to meet all the regulatory standards. This happened because *hit happens.

note-not advocating Transalta here. Just saying that I don't see anyone going to jail over this.

There are restrictions put upon Transalta, let me give you this anology.

If you pass a driver's license exam the govt approves you to operate a motor vehicle, if you rearend someone even if they stopped short you are at fault and have to pay.

but where is the fault?

The company that designed the turbine that failed?

The company is ultimately responsible for choice of equipment, preventative maintenance, redundant systems, risk assessments operations etc. If there is a weakness in any aspect of the system they are accountable. Note: I'm a Chemical Engineer myself working in the chemical industry. If my company had a spill affecting the environment I say the same thing....