Fly Fusion Forums

River Access By Extender Bridge

Everyone,

I know the farmer who owns or is the caretaker of most of the land from the new treatment plant all the way to Policeman's Flats. He has no issue with fisherman using his land for access to the river. I don't know if he has a full gate, or a fisherman access point, but whichever, he does have a place for fishermen to access the river from the extender bridge. However, people seem not to be satisfied with that, and continue to cut holes in the fence. I think recently someone even drove onto the land from the bridge (don't ask me how, I never really go there).

I can tell you guys he is starting to get more than a little fed up. He does not have to give access to his land at all, yet has chosen to do so. Please respect that, or maybe he will choose to not allow access to the land at all. Imagine having to honor the high water mark all through that area.

Unfortunately, the old adage, "give people an inch and they'll take a mile" comes into play way too often and they ruin it for the rest...

Rick, where is the proper access? I know of the gate in between the highways on the north side, but I have to admit I think I use one of the cut outs when fishing the south as I do not know where you are speaking of?! Please clarify.

P

I think we need more info on where this land is.(I would never trespass or cut fences) Everything in north/north east direction towards the treatment plant from the deerfoot is city land on the south side of the river. North side, on the west is developer land. North side of the river east side is a commercially owned property. But the South side of the river east is private. This portion would be my guess is the land owner.

He is on the west side. Don't know how it all works, but he caretakes all the land from the farm at the end of the road at Policemans (so starting at Pine Creek I think) all the way past the extender. Maintains all of those fences on the west side of the river at the bridge. I actually have no idea if he owns or just looks after it. I know the stuff around pine creek he is looking after as that land is all privately owned and leased. But I also know he caretakes past the extender on the west side, but as to where the lines are, I have no idea. I just know when any fencing on the west side is cut, he gets to fix it.

Who does this crap?

Honestly it takes some pretty hefty and heavy snips to get through barbed wire, and this is not something I would consider as an essential item in my goin' fish'n kit.

Probably the same people who think leaving garbage behind is okay and that throwing out your cigarette butts on the ground is okay.

It only takes 1 to ruin it for all.

Everyone,

I know the farmer who owns or is the caretaker of most of the land from the new treatment plant all the way to Policeman's Flats. He has no issue with fisherman using his land for access to the river. I don't know if he has a full gate, or a fisherman access point, but whichever, he does have a place for fishermen to access the river from the extender bridge. However, people seem not to be satisfied with that, and continue to cut holes in the fence. I think recently someone even drove onto the land from the bridge (don't ask me how, I never really go there).

I can tell you guys he is starting to get more than a little fed up. He does not have to give access to his land at all, yet has chosen to do so. Please respect that, or maybe he will choose to not allow access to the land at all. Imagine having to honor the high water mark all through that area.

Sorry to sound like an idiot here but where is the extendor bridge?

Its where the deerfoot was extended past 22x there is a bridge that goes over the bow just after seton blvd overpass.

Oh, so that area that everyone walks down to gain access to the north side of the river by policemans? Why the hell would people cut fences there? Never ceases to amaze me the ignorance of some of the clowns out there.