Fly Fusion Forums

Hardy Zenith

So I am in the market for a new 6wt and I have been looking into the Hardy Zenith. It seems like its an amazing rod, I picked one up and loved the feel. I was just wondering if any body knows more about these rods, or has anybody used one.

Thanks for any feedback.

great counter point:) Thanks for posting the article!

As an aside and in defense of George Anderson, he is completely open about his methods, why he has the Mid-Flex Orvis rods and why the GPX was used.

I also know Tom at Trout Underground is a "low modulus guy stuck ina high modulus world" and claims "most fast taper rods feel stiff in my hands". I have seen similar comments from folks who proclaim certain rods to "really be a 6wt". I trust the review, though I am not naiive enough to make its desicion for me. I do not put much thought into who won, but into the individual comments for each rod. My two bits.

FYI: I fish fairly quick graphite along with swamp donkey and quicker modern fiberglass rods. A slow Hardy glass isn't good for all situations just as a fast rod isn't always the most fun to fish.

What kind of reel would you put on a 6wt Zenith. My thoughts is that its going to have to be a fairly light reel because the rod is a feather. Also from what i have read it sounds like the rod is fairly line sensitive, that being said would anybody know what kind of line might be a good option for this rod. I am looking for a sink tip and a line that would be used mainly for nymphing.

What kind of reel would you put on a 6wt Zenith. My thoughts is that its going to have to be a fairly light reel because the rod is a feather. Also from what i have read it sounds like the rod is fairly line sensitive, that being said would anybody know what kind of line might be a good option for this rod. I am looking for a sink tip and a line that would be used mainly for nymphing.

Most machined 5/6 reels would proably do.

Lamson comes to mind (the #2's). The Redington Rise is only a bit over 4.5oz, the Drift is even smaller. Islander's IR3 and IR4 would also be light enough.

Seriously, most 5/6 reels would be more than fine.

Get the Amundson TXS G2. It's $149 at Fish Tales and extremely light. I was looking at it and the Ross Fly Rise 2 (which is 4.7 oz. for a 5wt rod) and the Amundson felt lighter to me. Its a LOT nicer than the previous model, which I have and love. Was going to upgrade, but my current TXS seems to balance out my BVK just fine, according to the good folks at Fish Tales.