Fly Fusion Forums

Bbq - Propane Tank Inquiry

Does anyone use the propane tank exchange service offered by a number of businesses (Home Depot, CDN Tire, Mohawk, etc.).? Are they worthwhile or is the only advantage convenience to which you pay handsomely for?!

Thanks,

Peter

*Edit* I have also read that you may not necessarily get a full tank with the exchange tanks, nor a new (potentially unsafe) tank...

I bought a propane tank with gauge a few years ago at Walmart for $30-$35 and last year it cost <$20 to fill it. True it is time consuming,but less expensive. This gadget here http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_cata...em1=1k%20516913 is awesome. You can fill a 1lb propane cylinder for a buck from your big tank.

I bought a propane tank with gauge a few years ago at Walmart for $30-$35 and last year it cost <$20 to fill it. True it is time consuming,but less expensive. This gadget here http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/search_cata...em1=1k%20516913 is awesome. You can fill a 1lb propane cylinder for a buck from your big tank.

I bought one of those gadgets, but could never get it to work. Something to do with the new valves on the newer big tanks. To fill the little bottle, the unit needs to be inverted - the big tank on top, upside down. doing so has the effect of closing the valve mechanism of the big tank. The old tanks without the auto safety overfill device still work tho.

If anyone has an easy work around for the new tanks, let me know.

Thanks.

Yeah went with a Costco special ($29) and filled up at the Centrex for $13.64 ($12.99 Tues & Sun).

Cheers,

P

just filled my 20lb tank tonight at the fast gas on centre st. N.. 14 bones and i'm good for another few months

I got 4 to fill up my self. Also if someone knows anyplace where they will fill old, outdated tanks let me know my rv's 30 pounds need filling but are OLD.

i dont think any place will fill an expired tank,its just too dangerous.

No legal retailer should fill an expired tank (10 years plus) - That said, not every attendant will take the time to actually check the certification date, especially when a tank "looks" new. given the potential ddamage that could be done by a tank with a malfuctioning or seized/frozen pressure relief valve I wouldn't bother trying to beat the system - google BLEVE if you have doubts.

Old tanks can be inspected and recertified by an LPGAC inspector - when I used to do this, I always replaced the valves so the cost savings are generally minimal, really more practical if you have a huge quantitiy of tanks (the ski hill I worked at had about 40-50 so it was worth while) - generally folks qualified and certified to train filling attendants can also do this.

Pokerfish - keep in mind that devices like that will work (same with the adapter/hose you could buy to put propane in a vehicle from a 20lb bottle) but there is a reason why those tanks have to be stored and transported upright. turning the tank upside down can freeze the pressure relief valve. If you are doing this against good advice, then at least make sure you are not using a full tank - with those older style they are easily overfilled (maxed out) and in that state a relatively small increase in ambient temp can raise pressure enough to pop the valve - if the valve is froze obviously that could be an ugly scenario, using a half full tank will at least reduce the risk as the vapour portion does accomodate some expansion.

No legal retailer should fill an expired tank (10 years plus) - That said, not every attendant will take the time to actually check the certification date, especially when a tank "looks" new. given the potential ddamage that could be done by a tank with a malfuctioning or seized/frozen pressure relief valve I wouldn't bother trying to beat the system - google BLEVE if you have doubts.

Old tanks can be inspected and recertified by an LPGAC inspector - when I used to do this, I always replaced the valves so the cost savings are generally minimal, really more practical if you have a huge quantitiy of tanks (the ski hill I worked at had about 40-50 so it was worth while) - generally folks qualified and certified to train filling attendants can also do this.

Pokerfish - keep in mind that devices like that will work (same with the adapter/hose you could buy to put propane in a vehicle from a 20lb bottle) but there is a reason why those tanks have to be stored and transported upright. turning the tank upside down can freeze the pressure relief valve. If you are doing this against good advice, then at least make sure you are not using a full tank - with those older style they are easily overfilled (maxed out) and in that state a relatively small increase in ambient temp can raise pressure enough to pop the valve - if the valve is froze obviously that could be an ugly scenario, using a half full tank will at least reduce the risk as the vapour portion does accomodate some expansion.

Good stuff. Thanks for the info

Thanks for the info.

I wanted to refill the small containers mainly from an environmental impact view - man there are a lot of empty 1lb cylinders in the dumps. When it wasn't easy, I essentially abandoned the idea.

However, the sight of all those green cylinders still offends me.

Yeah that's why I purchased a 5 lb'r for my Colman camping stove and lantern - you can at least refill it (only at Cetrex, mind you - not may place will refill a 5 lb'r).

P

Thanks for the info.

I wanted to refill the small containers mainly from an environmental impact view - man there are a lot of empty 1lb cylinders in the dumps. When it wasn't easy, I essentially abandoned the idea.

However, the sight of all those green cylinders still offends me.

It's amazing how many folks buy those green bottles, use them once and then toss em or leave them beside the bins in campgrounds (backcountry folks too, they won't risk running out so they often buy new each outing) - generally the campgrounds here will produce 5 to 10 barrels of these each season, - they do get recycled but all the gas gets wasted of course, so once a year I go to the pile and pull out about 10 half full or better examples that fulfill my needs for the whole season. (that said I still prefer my old MSR whisperlight I have had for 20 years) - on a side note its crazy how many wierd ones show from europe, which leaves me glad I wasn't on that plane LOL !

When your at a campground, ask if they have a pile of them. often they do in a shed hidden away, get some free gas instead of whatever it is they charge for one of those.

Yeah that's why I purchased a 5 lb'r for my Colman camping stove and lantern - you can at least refill it (only at Cetrex, mind you - not may place will refill a 5 lb'r).

P

Ya, I bought a 5 lb cylinder for most of my fuel usage, but it is in the trailer. And when I scoot off for the day, and bring the ubiquitous Coleman, I end up using the green ones. The 10# one can be filled at most places - although the COOP has a minimum charge per cylinder - roughly equivalent to 20lbs of propane, so that is a bit of a tick off.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know where to drop the little green ones for recycle? I use them sometimes for day outings, but always bring them home and I am starting to have a little collection of them.

The exchange program is pretty good in my mind. The place where I got mine is $22.00 to exchange the tank and get a full one. The first one was $60.00 full. If you can find a place to fill yours for $15.00 then I guess that is a better deal, but not as convenient. With an exchange one you also dont have to worry about your tank expiring.

I bought one of those gadgets, but could never get it to work. Something to do with the new valves on the newer big tanks. To fill the little bottle, the unit needs to be inverted - the big tank on top, upside down. doing so has the effect of closing the valve mechanism of the big tank. The old tanks without the auto safety overfill device still work tho.

If anyone has an easy work around for the new tanks, let me know.

Thanks.

This is what I use http://www.amazon.com/Heater-F276172-1-Pou...e/dp/B000AMC5WO. So far I've had no issues fitting it to any 20lb bottle, my 20lb tanks are new from last year so unless they very very recently changed the design, there should be no problems.

I use a lot of these little tanks in the hard water season and I've refilled probably 30 of the 1lb bottles. My collection of bottles grow every year as others give me the empties as I hate seeing them thrown out after one use, it's such a waste and I could never figure out where to recycle them. Takes one minute to refill a little bottle, it's awesome. Maybe I should start a service.....