Fly Fusion Forums

The Surf!

Guest FoamStoner

Guest Jeremie

Out in florida, went for snook W/guide on sunday, but blew all my shots on fussy fish. Hooked into a Monster shark that chowed my sea trout, caught lots of small jacks.

Fished the surf on a nearby beach this morning, and caught a few big trout, a tilapia and a mackeral? All within 2 hours.

PC030423.jpg

PC030431.jpg

PC030427.jpg

PC030426.jpg

PC030432.jpg

More pics to come through the days.

Tight lines!

Jeremie

Guest Jeremie

Brought the underwater camera and my dad was with me. Photographer (grand dad) is coming tomorrow! Nice to know it was a snapper. I thought tilapia's looked different.

Guest Jeremie

Fishing was a lot slower today, no trout but i did hook into 2 grease lightings One was a good 20" fish too. Stripping a big EP fibre minnow looking for bigger fish and the smack almost ripped the rod out of my hand. He went for a ridiculously fast long first run but that was it. Put a solid bend in the 8 weight.

PC040442.jpg

PC040440.jpg

PC040439.jpg

PC040437.jpg

PC040436.jpg

What an awesome name.

PC030434.jpg

Reds/Tarpon/snook on the flats tomorrow.

Tight lines!

The first fish I caught in the surf with a fly rod was a 3 or 5 lb spanish mackerel. He ripped up some bait about 20 feet in front of me. I had just made a cast, so I ripped in line as fast as I could, threw quickly in the direction of the bait, and the smack hit it almost as soon as it hit the water. I had 30 or 40 feet of slack line that went ripping out and just smoked and cut my ring finger. Nice long fight on that fish. They are so fun to catch on the fly rod!

Good luck tomorrow Jeremie!

Guest Jeremie

They're already showing up, Had 3 shots today. Saw sooo many red fish, unbelievable, a school of at least 40 all within 30 feet of the boat. Had a solid dozen cruisers swim within a rods length of myself. One fish basically sat 3 feet in front of me. I basically grabbed my fly and threw it at him. He looked at it, and then took off. No fish would eat anything, and most were between 4-12 lbs. Saw one that must have been a bull cruising solo that was chasing minnows. What a beautiful fish. But even with some well placed casts, fish wouldnt eat, they didnt even spook. They just would not eat.

Had a few other shots at snook, all of which didnt move a single foot. We had a solid T storm roll through around 7:30-8:30. We managed to catch some gator trout at the end of the day along with 2 lady fish. Couldve had a grand slam, but the fish wouldnt eat today.

I'll be Fishing the surf again tomorrow morning and evening before i head home.

Tight lines everyone!

oh p.s. It seems my 8wt rod has been welding together in the middle. Its a 4 piece rod, the middle to break it down just WILL NOT come off. Any suggestions?

Maybe try some "hot" water to expand the joint a little... Not sure if it would hurt the rod at all. maybe some builders can pipe up...

Also if you get some rubber grippy stuff that you use to open jars with - not sure what it's called (same material that is used to keep area rugs from slipping on hardwood floors)... I carry some in my rod tubes, for just this purpose. Wrap each section to grip and twist...

P

oh p.s. It seems my 8wt rod has been welding together in the middle. Its a 4 piece rod, the middle to break it down just WILL NOT come off. Any suggestions?

Guest Jeremie

Yea, i have a feeling thats going to be the start of the end of this rod. Putting it back together felt like graphite splintering.. Sage has lifetime warranty right? :/