Fly Fusion Forums

Spey Virgin

monger

So I took my new 13ft rod out for its maiden voyage today. I watched a few youtube videos on casting and figured I go make an azz of myself. With a pretty good wind blowing upstream I was performing some kind of variation of the double spey. Well low and behold I caught a fish, then another and another. Best one was nice buck Brown around 23". He was stocky and dark, but jumped about 6 times. Feels pretty weird on a 13ft rod. Nice start to the spey game. I'll have to try the other side of the river next time to try the snap-t cast. Interesting to try something new...and a refreshing change from hucking worms.

I was throwing a 550 Skagit head plus about 12ft of sinking line (I just cut up an old 6wt full sink type IV line). I'm pretty sure I wasn't following protocol, but the fish didn't know it was a hack holding the rod. Now its time to start experimenting with flies I guess. Looking forward to the adventure.

I'll have to try the other side of the river next time to try the snap-t cast.

I'd suggest using a piece of wool instead of a fly when learning the snap-t. I've heard of people guillotining the tips of their rods with the hook while getting the hang of it.