Fly Fusion Forums

Floating Line Recommendations

tbone

I have a 9' 5wt TFO Lefty Kreh Signature fly rod that I havent used yet. I'd like to get some floating line for it, but I realized its been a good 7 or 8 years since I last bought fly line. Does anyone have any good line recommendations for me to go with this rod? I want a floating line for fishing weighted nymphs and also for chucking smaller dries. Thanks

A good nymphing line will have a different taper than a dry line for delicate presentations. I really like the SA Mastery series Nymph Line, as the head has only a slight front taper with a large diameter tip that provides better floatation. This line also has a large diameter through the belly which rides high even in the chop and allows easy mending.

For a good dry line, a Double tapered line gives you a nice long taper with a fine tip which can present those tiny Tricos, BWO's, on a 5x-6x tapered leader, nice and cleanly.

Guest bigbadbrent

It's a great shooting line, but other then that, dave is completely correct. I've broken 2 of them, and had another 2 start cracking very very prematurly..and don't even bother attempting to fish in any temperature lower then 15 degrees, you'll be untangling your line all day

I am a staunch believer in the Airflo Freshwater Tacticals - they cast and shoot the same after a year as they do out of the box.

Having said that, they have bad memory and I had one crack - but it was replaced no questions asked.

The SA lines have been awesome for me out of the box, but after a year they've required replacement.

Guest bigbadbrent

just realized i should put my post in perspective..i can have a line that last's me 5 years, if i barely fish..my lines rarely last a year, since i do over 100 trips in a normal year, so no wonder they get beat up..thats how many trips most ppl do in 3, maybe 4 years

Damn! I'm getting too many years out of my lines. Wish I could wear them out in a season but I just can't. Floating line I like SA Mastery II or III (can't remember the number) The one I have on my six weight is buckskin at the end and the belly is yellow. That should tell some of you just how old it is. Put a SA Trout whatever on my four weight and I can't wait to get rid of it. The first six feet is under water all the time and I do clean it a few times a year. Rick.

SA Mastery or Cortland 444 lines are my lines of choice, usually replace them after each season after 100 + days on the water, but i'm hard on lines, pulling it out of rocks and stuff instead of bending over to untangle it..bought an Airflow line this season off eBay for cheap to use on my Salmon rod and I was surprised at the performance .. as for durability..?????? its only seen 12 days on the water

Thanks for the help, lots of good info. Any preference over SA Mastery or Cortland 444 lines?

Also if one was going to buy a nice double taper line specifically for chucking smaller dries, does the color of the line make a difference? Would you want to go with as neutral a color as possible?

Thanks for the help, lots of good info. Any preference over SA Mastery or Cortland 444 lines?

Also if one was going to buy a nice double taper line specifically for chucking smaller dries, does the color of the line make a difference? Would you want to go with as neutral a color as possible?

I've been using the 444 for alot of years .. its an all-round good line..

I have a SA Mastery DT5 than comes in a dark green, it's kinda hard to see on the surface (to human eyes anyways)..but Ive also fished that crazy peach color of the 444 lots and the fish don't seem to mind

A good nymphing line will have a different taper than a dry line for delicate presentations. I really like the SA Mastery series Nymph Line, as the head has only a slight front taper with a large diameter tip that provides better floatation. This line also has a large diameter through the belly which rides high even in the chop and allows easy mending.

For a good dry line, a Double tapered line gives you a nice long taper with a fine tip which can present those tiny Tricos, BWO's, on a 5x-6x tapered leader, nice and cleanly.

Do the shops around here carry this Toolman? Just looked on SA's website and it looks really neat.

I've been using the 444 for alot of years .. its an all-round good line..

I'll second that nomination. I'm not a fly line geek, so don't take my word for it, but it serves my purposes. I got 3yrs out of my last one (I never clean my line - for shame) before I had to replace it. No memory to complain of. Actually, probably less memory of any line I've used.