Fly Fusion Forums

Looking For Someone With Autocad Or Drafting Skills

I am hoping to build a drift boat, but there are not really any plans readily available for what I am looking to build so I am going to have to do it from scratch.

I have the details of what I am looking to build. What I am hoping to find is someone that can draw it up for me in AutoCAD and help with figuring out some of the dimensions and angles.

Thanks,

Andrew

Andrew,

I had some success using ACAD students for some design work... I had a contact that has since graduated and moved out of province so I'm not sure how you would post a note to someone there, but worth looking into...

P

I am hoping to build a drift boat, but there are not really any plans readily available for what I am looking to build so I am going to have to do it from scratch.

I have the details of what I am looking to build. What I am hoping to find is someone that can draw it up for me in AutoCAD and help with figuring out some of the dimensions and angles.

Thanks,

Andrew

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Yo, i got CADD om my laptop. Give me a PM and we can work something out on paper. I have done ARCH215 and ARCH241 at night so far and have a good grasp of it (residential architecture).

No charge if i get to keep the plans j/k

Andrew what material are you building your boat of? you can get pretty good plans if you do some searching but most are geared towards the wood

I have looked high and low & there are no plans available. I've even been as far as to be intouch with Roger Fletcher the author of Drift Boats and River Dories.

I want to build a river skiff or drift pram, roughly 15'6" by 48"-60" bottom dimensions. The materials tentatively are 12mm Meranti for bottom & casting decks, 6mm Meranti for the sides & internal storage, white oak chine & gunnels, and western red cedar ribs. Boat will be joined with epoxy and either graphite epoxy bottom or UHMW shoe. I am leaning away from the UHMW shoe as it has a tendancy to shrink & expand at a different rate workingthe screws out.

I will send out some PMs.

Andrew

Andrew

of all the drift boats i have yet to see , nothing for looks comes close to them drift boats that the ''montana boat builders site that jay listed '' puts out , if your good enough and can build that recurve boat and have the place and time , plus know what your doing , you'll love it , it's a dream boat of mine , missed one a couple years ago for $7500 by only a couple hours , they always need more TLC , but who cares if your running a boat like that , end of the season spend a day and touch it all up for the next season ,

dame fine boats , just way way to costly for a new one to be built for this old guy

The Montana boat buildes Freestone skiff is close to what my plans are based on, but with some different dimesions, and I would build it with frames rather than stitch & glue. I dont want to lay all the fiberglass involved with stitch & glue boats.

This is the closest thing I have found to what I want to build, but there would be several changes.

projectboat008.jpg

projectboat008.jpg

Andrew

Andrew

of all the drift boats i have yet to see , nothing for looks comes close to them drift boats that the ''montana boat builders site that jay listed '' puts out , if your good enough and can build that recurve boat and have the place and time , plus know what your doing , you'll love it , it's a dream boat of mine , missed one a couple years ago for $7500 by only a couple hours , they always need more TLC , but who cares if your running a boat like that , end of the season spend a day and touch it all up for the next season ,

dame fine boats , just way way to costly for a new one to be built for this old guy

Jason at MBB makes what I consider to be the most beautiful drift boats in out there. They are works of art. $7500 for one of thier boats is a steal, depending on how it is kitted out that is half price. The recurve is one of my favorites, but I am drawn to the Freestone skiff.

I keep waffling back & forth between building a S&G or boat on frames but I am really not a fan of laying fiberglass.

I'm never one to do things the easy way.

Andrew

Nice looking skiff :clapping::lava:

I've been fishimg out of a home built boat for a while now.

Some points to ponder:

-anything and everything you drop will go under the floor boards.

-In two or three years when the inside needs to be refinished, sanding the ribs and all of the corners

they make is a MAJOR pain.

-If you don't fiberglass at least the outside, the rocks will eventually get you.

-Stitch and glue boats are stronger (Due to flexability) and lighter than ribbed boats.

-Having spent the last few winters maintaining our boat, I would paint every thing. The wood looks

great but UV and varnish don't get along.

My $.02 (for what it's worth)

BK

Nice looking skiff :clapping::lava:

I've been fishimg out of a home built boat for a while now.

Some points to ponder:

-anything and everything you drop will go under the floor boards.

-In two or three years when the inside needs to be refinished, sanding the ribs and all of the corners

they make is a MAJOR pain.

-If you don't fiberglass at least the outside, the rocks will eventually get you.

-Stitch and glue boats are stronger (Due to flexability) and lighter than ribbed boats.

-Having spent the last few winters maintaining our boat, I would paint every thing. The wood looks

great but UV and varnish don't get along.

My $.02 (for what it's worth)

BK

Thanks Brunsie.

The bottom will be fiberglassed & epoxied at least and the sides will be finished in a combination of paint & marine epoxy. I am not sold on the idea of floor boards so I had planned on making solid removable casting decks for the front and rear.

As for sanding, my son will be the perfect age for sanding in a few years. :)

Andrew

If you're looking for DRAFTING skills, avoid anyone who has ever worked for the Calgary Flames organization.... :P

Andrew, I expect you will keep us updated on this project; hope you find exactly what you need!

Would love to see some time lapse photos of this project if you end going for it.

Right now the time lapse is pretty boring. Primarily me sitting in from of a computer trying to figure out where to get supplies in Calgary, whether or not I want to build S&G or with frames, drooling over wood boats and trying to explain to my wife how this is a good idea. Some things are easier than others.

For sure when the time comes for me to make some sawdust I will document it.

Andrew

Right on a boat build,i wish you the best of luck with this Andrew looking forward to the pic's.

I'm also in the early stags of planing and building just waiting for old man winter to take a hike.

I'm starting small first so i can get a hang of the epoxy FG and this stitch and glue thing.I was thinking drift pram also but more around the 9' range.I too am doing this with out plans so i may just send out some PM's Thanks for asking.

This last weekend i built a jig to try a scarf joint.

scarfjig001medium.jpg