Fly Fusion Forums

Amundson Rod And Reel

weekendwarrior

Hey I was just wondering if any one has any input on Amundson rods and reels. I have been fly fishing for a few years and currently have a TFO Lefty Kreh signature series 2 piece rod. I am happy with this rod but I would like to get a 4 piece rod. I and have been told Amundson makes a good rod. Any input would be appreciated thanks

Hey I was just wondering if any one has any input on Amundson rods and reels. I have been fly fishing for a few years and currently have a TFO Lefty Kreh signature series 2 piece rod. I am happy with this rod but I would like to get a 4 piece rod. I and have been told Amundson makes a good rod. Any input would be appreciated thanks

I have an Midge 8ft 3/4 wt and I love it, far exceeded my expectations. I was also looking at a Reddington CT and a TFO Finesse but was recommended the Midge buy the guys at WSS, I think I got Rod, line and a simple reel for just over 200. I have had 2 friends also try it and the first question they had was "you paid how much for this?"

I've also casted a Windwarrior 8wt at a shop directly comparing it to some stuff from Sage (flight) and Loomis (don't remember the model). IMO it doesn't stand out against the others like the Midge did but it was also $200 cheaper. Still my favorite but by a smaller margin.

I've been pretty impressed with Amundson.

I'm a bit biased, but I really like the product. Head on down to FishTales (sponsor here) and take a look at some rods. Amundson will also have a booth set up at the Fly Fishing Expo at the end of January, and you can see the rods and try them out at the casting pond there. I'll be there helping with the booth.

My favourite rods in the line up are the wind warrior series, and the midge.

What rod are you looking at...what wt...what are you looking to use it for (ie. mostly nymphing, lake fishing, etc)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I have a reel from them. I liked it at first but the drag system is really off, i find it is either on full or barley at all.

not a fan and would save my money and buy something nicer

My son has a midge 3/4 with TSX reel and I have a 4 wt topfly rod and also a 5 wt Wind Warrior rod that a friend custom built for me. I have been really happy with all of them. The Wind Warrior is my go to rod on the bow or lake fishing. The Topfly was bought as a backup mountain stream rod, but I use it often and enjoy it as well. Landed a 22" brown with it on a dry this year. My son loves the midge, and the reel has given him no issues, though it has mostly been a cutty rod/reel.

I have a TFO Signature Series 7'6" 4 piece 3wt, a TFO Signature Series 8'6" 4 piece 5wt, and a Sage Launch 9'0" 4 piece 6wt, and have the Amundson TXS reel on all of them.

Love this reel. Smooth drag, silent retrieve, and you get a hell of a reel for the price. I couldn't be happier with them.

I have really enjoyed the TXS reel for the past couple of years and have caught some Large Browns and Bulls on this reel. I've really put it to the test both in the mountains and on the Bow and have had no issues. I'd by another one!

I'm a bit biased, but I really like the product. Head on down to FishTales (sponsor here) and take a look at some rods. Amundson will also have a booth set up at the Fly Fishing Expo at the end of January, and you can see the rods and try them out at the casting pond there. I'll be there helping with the booth.

My favourite rods in the line up are the wind warrior series, and the midge.

What rod are you looking at...what wt...what are you looking to use it for (ie. mostly nymphing, lake fishing, etc)

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Hey thanks for the info I was planing on going to the expo so i will have to check then out when i go. I was kind of interested in the coast rider rod but the Amundson site does not really tell you what the rods are best suited for. I was going to get a 5wt as i already have a 6wt rod. will be using it mostly on the bow high wood and Livingston rivers. I also want a rod that would be a good all round from drys to nymphs.

I picked up a 5wt Top Fly combo last spring and used it quite a bit over the season. I liked it. I tend to put a bit too much power into my cast and because the rod is a bit stiffer and faster than some, it was a good match. Price was right too. I'm thinking about buying an 8 wt for pike and bulls.

Hey thanks for the info I was planing on going to the expo so i will have to check then out when i go. I was kind of interested in the coast rider rod but the Amundson site does not really tell you what the rods are best suited for. I was going to get a 5wt as i already have a 6wt rod. will be using it mostly on the bow high wood and Livingston rivers. I also want a rod that would be a good all round from drys to nymphs.

The wind warrior is touted as a lake rod, or chironomid rod. I use it for that, but also as a nymph/streamer rod on the Bow. It is 10' long, and works great as a high sticking rod. It will throw bombs, but I must admit that I don't often feel the need to blast casts out on the bow, I find it more trouble than it's worth. I have used it for dries, but it is a bit heavy for that I find.

I use the 4wt topfly on the bow as a dry fly rod, but at 8 ft (I think), it is too short for a nymhing rod, imho.

Not sure of the Coast Rider, but I would imagine they have some sort of an all around rod in the arsenal.

If you already have a 6wt, and you're looking for another rod, I would go for a 4 wt. It's nice to jump by 2's when you're buying your first few rods. When you get the 4wt, and the 8wt you can then start looking at 5's or 2's :)

For a 4wt for the Livingston, highwood to thow dries...look at the midge.

For a 4 wt for the Lvingston, Highwood, Bow to throw dries and nymph some, look at the Wind Warrior 9'...there's just a little more power in this rod and the extra length helps for nymphing. It is 'faster' than the midge, but I don't mind a fast rod for dry fly fishing as it helps to battle the wind and tossing big stonefly patterns (for calm conditions, and smaller dries...I love a slower rod...unfortunatly that usually doesn't relate to cutty fishing around here)

Most importantly though...try a bunch of rods within your price range, and see which one casts the best for you.

See you a the show!

I have a reel from them. I liked it at first but the drag system is really off, i find it is either on full or barley at all.

not a fan and would save my money and buy something nicer

I have the same feeling about my reel.

I'll bring it to the show & see what they say.

Andrew

Any chance these are TXS reels? I had the same issues.

I have a 4pc TFO 4wt Finesse that I love with a Pflueger (sp?) reel. The Pflueger and Amundson reels were with $20 of each other and I almost went Amundson but the Pflueger is absolutely awesome. I've landed some beauty browns on this setup this year with no worries. The shorter rod is great for small creeks and streams but doesn't have the jam to throw it out there like a bigger, longer rod. For the small stuff though, I love casting it. As has been said, it really depends on what type of fishing you're going to be doing.

My dad and I were fishing Prairie this year and he struggles with his casting (especially in close quarters) and was having trouble casting well with his 6wt $60 rod. While I was undoing one of many large birdnests in his line, I passed him my rod to cast to a rising brown across the stream. His casting improved 100% and he was throwing line like a maniac. He made a great cast across the river and missed the take on the brown. I could barely get him to give me the rod back. When he did, his casting went to crap again. I'm just saying that a rod that feels good to you really can help.

Cheers.

So, short update on my Amundson. I must have jinxed myself by talking about how much I liked it. Went down to Fish Creek today, strung the rod and started hiking towards the water. The rod slipped out of my hand and landed on the butt end. When I picked it up I noticed something hanging off the line and lo and behold, there was my tip. The end had shattered between the last two guides. I don't know if there was a preexisting crack or if it had snagged something over the last season but regardless, I wasn't fishing with that rod today. It's still under the one year warranty so hopefully, I can get a new tip section for it. Other than that, I really liked the rod.

Any chance these are TXS reels? I had the same issues.

Mine is. I was out yesterday and I had forgotten what a PITA it is.

So, short update on my Amundson. I must have jinxed myself by talking about how much I liked it. Went down to Fish Creek today, strung the rod and started hiking towards the water. The rod slipped out of my hand and landed on the butt end. When I picked it up I noticed something hanging off the line and lo and behold, there was my tip. The end had shattered between the last two guides. I don't know if there was a preexisting crack or if it had snagged something over the last season but regardless, I wasn't fishing with that rod today. It's still under the one year warranty so hopefully, I can get a new tip section for it. Other than that, I really liked the rod.

Only a one year waranty? I thought most name brand rods had a better warnty than that.

Andrew

Mine is. I was out yesterday and I had forgotten what a PITA it is.

Only a one year waranty? I thought most name brand rods had a better warnty than that.

Andrew

It's not a super expensive rod. The first year is an unconditional warranty, after the first year then they'll replace sections of the rod for a nominal cost. I think a new tip is $25-30. Not too bad considering the combo was only $200.00. Assuming I only have to replace it once.

It's not a super expensive rod. The first year is an unconditional warranty, after the first year then they'll replace sections of the rod for a nominal cost. I think a new tip is $25-30. Not too bad considering the combo was only $200.00. Assuming I only have to replace it once.

Gotcha, I am familiar with TFO's waranty, but from what I can tell they are pretty much the same. With TFO they call it Lifetime "No-Fault" but you have to pay $25 so they are essentially the same thing.

I was looking at some of thier Wind Warrior rods so the one year warranty thing had me thinking twice.

Andrew