Fly Fusion Forums

Wildlife Photos

Jeffro

Instead of hijacking the scenery thread, I figured this could be a place to share our wildlife photos. Here are some of mine from the last couple months. Hope you enjoy!

CopyofSharpy2.jpg

Shopped1.jpg

GRAY-CROWNEDROSYFINCH10001.jpg

newshop1.jpg

Shopped5.jpg

Shopped6.jpg

Shopped2.jpg

Shopped3.jpg

Shopped4.jpg

Cheers,

Thanks for the compliments. I'm still getting use to the D200, but it has almost endless capabilities. The large bird of prey with the orange on the shoulders is a Harris hawk. They're not from around these parts so unless you know someone into falconry or head to the birds of prey center in Coaldale you won't have much like finding them in Alberta. The owl is a nest near one of the sites that I monitor and it's out by Taber.

Weedy, The main lens I am using right now is a AF Nikkor 70-300 that I bought to replace the kits lens. I'm putting some money aside in hopes to persuade the wife to let me spend the $2000 on a VR lens (its a very steep uphill battle). As for the LBA I'm not sure if you mean the mounting bracket or some other meaning for the acronym. My need to ask will probably imply that I don't, but I am intrigued to know more about this LBA.

Jeffro,

Very nice pictures. I also have a Nikon D200 and I'm quite happy with it. Considering the low price of the 70-300mm lens, those are some amazing pictures. I have the 300mm F4 prime lens and for the most part its a decent lens. However, its awkward to use because of the lack of zoom.

The only critique that I have is that the wildlife subjects may be too centered. Some of the pictures may be more pleasing if you follow the rule of thirds.

http://members.shaw.ca/clives/Photoguide.html

I've taken the liberty to recrop one of the pics so that you can see the difference. I hope that you don't take it the way but I just thought that I'd share the constructive criticism. I always appreciate it when others share their opinions when I post my pictures. Its nice to meet someone who enjoys both flyfishing and photography. Perhaps we should head out fishing / shooting together one day.

newshop1gg0.jpg

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Love the photos of the duck Weedy1, is it a female mallard or a gadwall? Awesome clarity and colour!

Hopper Dropper,

Constructive criticism is something I am very used to and am always willing to accept. I always seem to stray on the rule of thirds for some strange reason, I'm not sure why. I do agree it makes most photos better and the picture of the swainson's you cropped shows that. I have lots to learn about the photography trade still and am trying to find the time to learn all the tricks. Clive's link is a great one and he has a prolifera of knowledge when it comes to photography. He and his website have taught me all sorts of little things that I wouldn't have thought of.

I'd gladly go out on a fishing/shooting expedition if your ever in the far south.

thats a mallard hen and i think that hawk on the post is a harrier. later

M

The hawk on the fence post was a Swainson's for sure. No white rump patch when it flew and it has the hood although you can't really see it from this angle. I'll dig through my photos of this hawk and see if I can find a better profile of the light to dark feathers and the likes

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...