Fly Fusion Forums

Winter Fishing.

After reading about the guy who died really got me thinking.I fish on ice shelfs i even go to the edge some times thinking that its safe.I really don't no how thick it is for the most part i can see the bottom.I often think about what if i fall in what would i do. Climbing back onto the ice would almost be imposable never mind trying to breath after the shock of cold water.

I would think that some ice picks tethered to your wrists would be handy for trying to climb back on to the ice.

I guess the best advise would be just to stay off them but it makes for such an excellent casting platform that its hard to resist.

Any tips out there that people would like to share?

Do NOT not not NOT fish ALONE on the ice. please. :( I knew the guy who fell through. We all love fishing and would do anything to go out and get a few casts. But please go with a buddy, its not worth it. RIP

I dont fish the bow in the winter season much, even though I live close by. When I did I would fish off the ice shelves, walking along them. Sometimes they would break off in big flows and you slide in. The water was low and not moving fast, but its still scary to have the platform your fishing on collapse from underneath you. I was younger then. Now I never do things like that.

The last couple of years I have started using the Inflatable Belt Pack PFD by Mustang in the winter and at times in the summer when I know I'll be doing a lot of stream/river crossings. That said I try to fish with a partner and if the hair on

the back of your neck starts to stand up it's a sign to move off.

A buddy of mine was fishing in the winter a couple of years ago and the ice shelf he was standing on broke loose. The water was only a foot deep or so, but the piece flipped back and pinned him against the ice still attached to the shore. He managed to extricate himself and ended up with a bruise and a slightly sprained ankle. Needless to say he doesn't fish in the winter anymore.

as for winter fishing, I have never stood on the ice (in moving water). I always goes into the water, cuz feel safer to stand on the ground.

be safe out there...

Be safe when you are in the water, just like run off just cause you see nothing on the surface doesnt mean there is nothing there. I remeber one of my first years fishing in the winter I was standing in the water and then was knocked off my feet by a ice cunuck that was floating under the surface of the water. Mind you it wasn't that big and only bruised my ankles but it was diffently scary.

Here is what I do when walking out on a ice shelf, when I start to walk out I bend my knees up and down to feel how much pressure the ice shelf can really handle if I feel any type of movement I do not go out. Beeing a big guy I have more weight on me then most pople, I have also been knowen to lightly jump up and down on the ice shelf (close to shore) to see how much weight the shelf can handle, then slowly go out further doing the samething.

Regardless of what you do you are still putting your life in risk weather you are in the water or standing on a ice shelf. Also it does not hurt to carry a throw rope (I think that is what it is called) so if your buddy falls in you can race downstream throw the rope out have him grap it and swing him into shore. Please note that if you ever have to do this do not let the person in the water try and pull them selfs out as you can be dragged in too, let them swing into shore.