Fly Fusion Forums

Outdoor Responsibilty

Taco's comment "Outdoor use comes with a certain responsibly, fires and fire pits are no different. "

Got me wondering. What is outdoor responsibility?

And if you have it, how would you describe it?

And if you need it, how do you learn it?

If you don't treat the outdoors responsibly, are you banned and whose the judge?

We've all seen examples of the lack of outdoor responsibility IN OUR OPINION. Some of mine would include:

1] Quadding within 100 meters of water

2] Lack of winch on a 4*4 - + other tools like shovel, extra chains etc.

3] Fires for no good reason

4] Riding a snow machine up an avalanche path.

5] Timmies cup/Bud cans in the vehicle - we all know it's going on the ground - the question is where.

regards,

Don

I'll add a couple to your list Don,

$hitting and not burying your waste (and/or not packing out your TP - each to his/her discretion);

and chopping down live trees for fire wood or for make-shift shelters...

I'll also add the lack of preparedness that some people overlook when going out into the back country, whether hiking, biking, skiing, backpacking, (the wrong gear, lack of knowledge/experience, etc)....

P

Got me wondering. What is outdoor responsibility?

And if you need it, how do you learn it?

I grew up in a hunting and fishing family, much of my knowledge, respect and the way I think came from time in the outdoors with family and relatives.

And if you have it, how would you describe it?

Respect for public and private land including fences.

Respect for elders and others enjoying the outdoors.

Respect for property - Theft (I suffered this myself on two occasions)

Noise - my Dad had a saying - he sounds like a seagull, lots of noise but noting to say.

Kindness - self explanatory (for some)

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

I think it comes down to having foresight and being responsible. Some people dump their cooking waist on the grounds in their camp and some of us walk it out into the bush and put it in a hole. Some people keep food in their bags and some hang it from tree 20 yrds from their camp.

Over the years of backpacking i have been disappointed with the way some people hold themselves in nature and i choose no the have anything to do with them anymore.

lol i wish we could ban some people from being out in the woods

WRT the Fire Picture I posted in "pet Peeves"

There is near nothing I take more seriously then being responsible in the outdoors..

I brought my own kindling and used dead fall, and as you can see I brought my own grilling sticks...

Area was cleaned and nary a sign was left of this very small fire..

I truly understand the concerns of LS and others..

All due care and considerations were taken when making the fire..

WRT the Fire Picture I posted in "pet Peeves"

There is near nothing I take more seriously then being responsible in the outdoors..

I brought my own kindling and used dead fall, and as you can see I brought my own grilling sticks...

Area was cleaned and nary a sign was left of this very small fire..

I truly understand the concerns of LS and others..

All due care and considerations were taken when making the fire..

Few give a *hit enough to do it right.

Don

I have a real issue with a lack or wilderness responsibility. Why do people feel the need to dump their fast food leftovers on the ground? I see it all over the place, in small towns, big cities and what really burned me; in the National Parks. Is the world your garbage can? If it is then you are a pig, and live in filth.

Guest Sundancefisher
I'll add a couple to your list Don,

$hitting and not burying your waste (and/or not packing out your TP - each to his/her discretion);

and chopping down live trees for fire wood or for make-shift shelters...

I'll also add the lack of preparedness that some people overlook when going out into the back country, whether hiking, biking, skiing, backpacking, (the wrong gear, lack of knowledge/experience, etc)....

P

Not looking up to see if the hiking trail comes down above you before using the outdoor biffy... Pretty funny seeing a poor woman's face as you come down a trail...like a deer in the headlights...