Fly Fusion Forums

Best 5 Flies

Remps

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If ya can read the water, ya know what's going to work..... :wacko:....Dry, nymph, and/or what ever blows your hair back..... :thumbup:

True, and if you know how to read water in a cutty stream, you know it is never necessary to use an indicator.

Keep at it Beedhead, skill comes with practice practice practice.

<--poke--<

True, and if you know how to read water in a cutty stream, you know it is never necessary to use an indicator.

<--poke--<

For your info there dude, I rarely fish with an indicator on moving water....Learned how to Nymph streams when I was 15 years of age, never new what a freakin indicator was....No worries dude, I got my time in, plenty of it.....Skill??...I'dd say I got a bit....Practice???....Hmmm..????.....It's guy's like you, that bring this forum down.....Go check out Diff. forum.....Maybe ya can stir the pot there......

<--poke--<

the only guy that keeps dwelling on the indicator is you :rolleyes:

Nobody said in their post that they use an indicator on small streams, let alone claim its neceassary. Some guys responded that they would take nymphs to a mountain stream. Get over it.

Oh BTW,

I ran into beedhead on the Crow several years ago and I didn't see an indicator on his line. Of course, I was using one :)

For your info there dude, I rarely fish with an indicator on moving water....Learned how to Nymph streams when I was 15 years of age, never new what a freakin indicator was....No worries dude, I got my time in, plenty of it.....Skill??...I'dd say I got a bit....Practice???....Hmmm..????.....It's guy's like you, that bring this forum down.....Go check out Diff. forum.....Maybe ya can stir the pot there......

Seems there is a few of you that can't take a joke......or debate.

Sorry to hurt your pride.....I didn't realize you were so sensitive.

Somehow I am reminded of this?

Andrew

If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. a swung fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc.

If it's all about numbers and doing what is ever necessary that is fine if that's your prerogative....but it's good to live by a code.

Fly fishing itself is about challenging the angler to catch fish using more difficult methods, and there is a code amongst anglers to use certain methods at certain times, or to limit the tools one uses in the process. This in all areas of fishing, the Tyee club on the Campbell, a true Grand Slam (Flies only-no bait or scent), the 20/20 club, and with cutts the code is no indicators. I'm not saying you can't do it, obviously it is an angler's choice, the same as it their choice to bait fish or whatever.....but there is also a code or honor to consider-that extends from respect within the sport / tools to respect for your quarry.

This is not just my opinion either. Go tell the tried and true Steelheaders in this city the argument made in that video about 'insanity' and the 'fish of a thousand casts'.....that's golden (and shows a clear lack of understanding of fly fishing for Steelhead).

For sure, you can be in the Jim Teeny club....stoning Steelhead, and strategically drifting flies into unsuspecting fishes mouths, or you can be in Lani Waller's club...and wait patiently (the real theme of this entire discussion) for that life changing moment when the Steelhead takes your skated dry fly.......nothin' wrong with class.

Good Perspective. I can't say I agree with everything, but it makes for a good discussion.

Regards Mike

If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. swung a fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc.

If it's all about numbers and doing what is ever necessary that is fine if that's your prerogative....but it's good to live by a code.

Fly fishing itself is about challenging the angler to catch fish using more difficult methods, and there is a code amongst anglers to use certain methods at certain times, or to limit the tools one uses in the process. This in all areas of fishing, the Tyee club on the Campbell, a true Grand Slam (Flies only-no bait or scent), the 20/20 club, and with cutts the code is no indicators. I'm not saying you can't do it, obviously it is an angler's choice, the same as it their choice to bait fish or whatever.....but there is also a code or honor to consider-that extends from respect within the sport / tools to respect for your quarry.

This is not just my opinion either. Go tell the tried and true Steelheaders in this city the argument made in that video about 'insanity' and the 'fish of a thousand casts'.....that's golden (and shows a clear lack of understanding of fly fishing for Steelhead).

For sure, you can be in the Jim Teeny club....stoning Steelhead, and strategically drifting flies into unsuspecting fishes mouths, or you can be in Lani Waller's club...and wait patiently (the real theme of this entire discussion) for that life changing moment when the Steelhead takes your skated dry fly.......nothin' wrong with class.

If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. swung a fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc.

The video that I posted was more of a jab at "philisophical" fishing codes and thier absurdity than anything else. I find it humerous that such philisophical thought & debates exist within the fishing community. I fish for myself and subscribe to my "code" of fishing. To say that one persons code is more or less right than the next guys does not concern me.

My five fave flies are

- SJW

- chenielle stone

- phesant tail

- small wire worms

- hare's ear

back on track,

Andrew

The video that I posted was more of a jab at "philisophical" fishing codes and thier absurdity than anything else. I find it humerous that such philisophical thought & debates exist within the fishing community. I fish for myself and subscribe to my "code" of fishing. To say that one persons code is more or less right than the next guys does not concern me.

My five fave flies are

- SJW

- chenielle stone

- phesant tail

- small wire worms

- hare's ear

back on track,

Andrew

I heard SJWs work well in the Gap on the Oldman in May... ;)

I guess I look at it the way Bruce Lee looked at Martial Arts (his "philosophy").

He had a very clear philosophy on how the martial arts should be approached. He did not believe that an art should be “static” and unchanging, but rather, a living, evolving entity. Now that change could be very random for some, adding whichever techniques were most pleasing to the eye, but for Bruce Lee there was one guiding principle: Only use what works in a real fight!

In general can this principle/philosophy be used for the "art" of fly fishing?! I think so!!

For me, in some situations it's about catching fish, in others it's about the expereince... For example, if I'm with my wife or nephew I would like them to have a positive exp so that they will want to come again (btw, they are both aware that it's not always about catching), so we have used SJW (as an example) underneath an indicator (where allowed) and I feel no shame in that...

P

If the argument is about 'not limiting one's self' then why stop at a fly rod, if you're going to use an indicator to fish for steelhead; why not just use a drift fishing rod? If the argument is about catching more fish with indicator /eggs vs. a swung fly (which is hardly true), then why stop at egg flies, use bait.....etc.

I guess I look at it the way Bruce Lee looked at Martial Arts (his "philosophy").

He had a very clear philosophy on how the martial arts should be approached. He did not believe that an art should be “static” and unchanging, but rather, a living, evolving entity. Now that change could be very random for some, adding whichever techniques were most pleasing to the eye, but for Bruce Lee there was one guiding principle: Only use what works in a real fight!

In general can this principle/philosophy be used for the "art" of fly fishing?! I think so!!

For me, in some situations it's about catching fish, in others it's about the expereince... For example, if I'm with my wife or nephew I would like them to have a positive exp so that they will want to come again (btw, they are both aware that it's not always about catching), so we have used SJW (as an example) underneath an indicator (where allowed) and I feel no shame in that...

P

Indeed/agreed, the philosophy can be applied to so many things. Language comes to mind, and slang.....slang becomes a part of the language eventually as the metaphorically salty words find there way into mainstream discussion and eventually the dictionary (although I hope lol, imo etc. don't ever get there).

I don't use indicators anymore (only because I don't fish the Bow much), but I never used them for Cutts because I've never had to, or chose to ....no matter what time of the year. I have also never been in a situation where I had to use them for clients or friends (such as yourself Uber), that said, I fully understand the need to do so in said circumstance.

I hope one day Alberta adopts the fly fishing only policy like BC. It's great, and does a lot to take the inevitable increase of pressure off the resource, just imagine if you could use indicators or lead on the Wiggy.....the Bulls are already sitting ducks, kinda of like the Cutts on the Livingstone/Oldman.

I do however, believe that evolution of the entity of Fly Fishing can go a variety of ways.....some more true to the sport than others. Skating stones in the middle of the night on the Bow, or creating incredible patterns out of foam are two things that come to mind that have evolved the sport in the last ten years.

Even the SJW itself was a pattern that really changed the Bow (and the fly itself evolved from the red floss/tinsel original into the wire forms).

A friend of mine floated the Bow with Doug Swisher and his wife in 99'. To the amazement of my friend, Swisher and wife fished dries blind all day in the wicked heat of mid August, at a time when every guide on the Bow was dredging worms on the bottom. He told them they should fish with with and indicator/nymph, but they preferred not to.....and had a 30+ fish day. Evolution in the purest sense.

About Cutts specifically, the river fishery for Cutts in this province is very user friendly and indicators cross the line (for me).....you don't need them. I swear to you- you don't....and I'm not trying to be condescending.

Is evolution do what is ever necessary,(use an indicator because I can)? Is evolution discovery with in a set of lawful rules, or the unwritten code within a community?

My limited experience in the mountains streams dictates that I use whatever I'm told to use by the guys I'm fishing with.

Doesn't matter if its dry, nymph, streamer. As long as it works.

See my list of flies, and you can tell your friends what to use. ;)

My favorite flies;

Champagne Bead

Apricot Bead

Orange molted Bead

Pink Molted Bead

Hot Pink Blood Bead

put that in your pipe and smoke it, preferably under 1.25" thingamabob :devil:

Nice picks for mountain streams.......you must have been one of those guys I saw on the Racehorse.

:laugh:

Nice picks for mountain streams.......you must have been one of those guys I saw on the Racehorse.

:laugh:

Yep that was probably me, Nymphing some beads slamming the cutts.... that's the sweet stuff.

I know I have a fish when the indicator goes under..... ya

I hope one day Alberta adopts the fly fishing only policy like BC. It's great, and does a lot to take the inevitable increase of pressure off the resource, just imagine if you could use indicators or lead on the Wiggy.....the Bulls are already sitting ducks, kinda of like the Cutts on the Livingstone/Oldman.

Somewhat tangential, but I just went searching through the BC Sportfishing Regulations and can't find any mention of indicators or lead being banned in classified waters. Nevertheless, I have heard this before; it just doesn't seem to be in the regulations. Which one is it?