Fly Fusion Forums

Lake Athabasca Fish-oilsands Related?

Oil guys on here and in general only like to discuss when a report comes out claiming scientist have overstated/manipulated the effects. They don't seem to like to write anything, when it shows that the industry is really ****ing up the environment.

I use oil/gas, have no plans to stop, how can I. But don't be blind to the impact or get upset when the effects are displayed. I mentioned this article to a friend of mine in the industry, he got all pissy and went into the usual oil industry counter argument

all the facts aren't out, scientist manipulate the facts, people shouldn't complain or we wouldn't have energy for everyday use.

I get production will have an impact, here and across the world, I'm not an idiot, but buck up and just admit what your doing up north is having a huge impact on the health of the environment.

Being that it takes years to monitor and link pollution to the tailings and effulent from any site, I'm of the opinion that it is far too late to raise the flag. The damage is done and we most likely will not be able to "undo" it. Now, in the coming months and years we will find out how far reaching this mess is. I feel sorry for the people who depend on this river and the land for their livelihood.

FHD

just adding to the discussion, lve spent the last 6 years up there surveying almost every plant up there. ive seen oil come out of the ground only 10 feet into a dig. As far as the river goes l think that its disgusting how at one time it was this bright blue beautiful river now its crap. As far as the government goes saying we all might have to fork out something like 6300 per person in taxes to clean up thats crap. Reason being, for the amount of time l spent there l seen the fall of unions,environments and wages all because of AMERICANS. Now these americans are buying all these plants and they dont have to do anything to clean it up? Something really has to give up there because if they bring in these nucular power plants like alberta or should l say the u.s.a. been talking the effects are going to be worse then they are now. Theres no way to dispose of the left over waste from these plants so they end up just sitting somewhere waiting to blow. All and all Fort mac is a great place to make money but think about the effects your causing for generations to come. lm all about going green and disposing of fossil fuels anyway l can in my life. l really hope l never have to go back there again.

Guest Sundancefisher

Problem is many people live in a vacuum and don't understand the big picture. There is a large mat of dioxin pollution seeping down the Athabasca from the various pulp mills. I have studied whitefish upstream of Edson and a large percentage have tumors. Are problems downstream related to natural seeps, oil sands pollution, or pulp mill pollution. Pulp mills are loving this as everyone has totally forgotten them. Has anyone seen the river turn brown with the stench of dumped pulp mill waste water?

Hopefully anyone doing a study will concentrate of a true study rather than making the assumptions and structuring their report to fit the assumptions.

For anyone that cares...pulp mills can essentially pump as much crap into the rivers as they want...so long as it is at a certain dilution level. More toxins...just flush with more water.

Think of that the next time anyone eats fish from the Athabasca.

just adding to the discussion, lve spent the last 6 years up there surveying almost every plant up there. ive seen oil come out of the ground only 10 feet into a dig. As far as the river goes l think that its disgusting how at one time it was this bright blue beautiful river now its crap. As far as the government goes saying we all might have to fork out something like 6300 per person in taxes to clean up thats crap. Reason being, for the amount of time l spent there l seen the fall of unions,environments and wages all because of AMERICANS. Now these americans are buying all these plants and they dont have to do anything to clean it up? Something really has to give up there because if they bring in these nucular power plants like alberta or should l say the u.s.a. been talking the effects are going to be worse then they are now. Theres no way to dispose of the left over waste from these plants so they end up just sitting somewhere waiting to blow. All and all Fort mac is a great place to make money but think about the effects your causing for generations to come. lm all about going green and disposing of fossil fuels anyway l can in my life. l really hope l never have to go back there again.

Damn Americans, making you Canadians do things they don't want to do. Luckily you are all such pushovers and do whatever we want whenever we want. We are perfecting our union busting schemes on the Athabasca Oil Sands so we can take what we've learned and disband all the unions in the states. We are starting with those pesky teachers, then the cops. Next we are going to invade and build you nuclear power plants!! Ahhh, the power!!

Please.