Fly Fusion Forums

The Proper Response

monger

So you are out fishing with your buddies and you tie on your fly for the day. Both your buddies immediately start slagging your fly with great comments like, "Maybe if I stuck a nail in my eye and tied in the dark I could make something that ugly", or "My 9 year old ties better than that", and finally, "We should name that thing, how about Rat Bastard". You take it all in stride and begin to fish. Soon the fish are all over the "Rat Bastard" and your buddies are getting very quiet. Finally one asks if I have another one. Should a person share after all this abuse?

Hah, no way you should share! Tell 'em they shouldn't have any catching one on a prettier fly. My dads favorite line when someone asks him where (as opposed to what on) would be "most of 'em in the side of the mouth, but I did foul hook one." When I was using anything lure I deemed special on the bay, I would always switch it out before I hit the dock on the way home, and replace it with some very common lure. So if anyone asked, I could just point.

Edit: Of course if I see you around Secret Spot #2479, make sure you have a couple extra!!

You guys are tough. Haven't you ever heard of "turning the other cheek". I did lend out some flies, and fish were caught (I don't think it really mattered what fly we used). I like Russ' response about the beer though (you train-drivers are clever). Perhaps I can claim some beers through some "fishermen's legal clause" on the next trip.

Depends. What goes around comes around. If they are the type of buds that would share with me in a second, I wouldn't hesitate. If he's the type that, when he sees you walking towards him, he leaves the water and races down the river so he can fish the next hole before you (yup. I have a "bud" that does that), then maybe. Depends on how much pity I have for him.

I don't think it's abuse at all. Sounds like good hearted fun to me. When the fly started catching fish, silence is golden as the fly spoke for you. I'd let it slide and take into account your ability and talent to make the fly in the first place by being more tolerant and less critical. Just my thoughts.

PACO

i've always found, the more chewed up, the uglier, the more the dubbing is pulled and teased, the better it works...

so go ahead and tease me all you want, 'cause i'll show you. this thing looks this bad because it has had that many fish on!!

and then lend him one... right after he promises to buy the first round