Fly Fusion Forums

Mosquitoes

Guest Sundancefisher

Guest Sundancefisher

Holy cow are the mosquitoes ever still bad.

So much for a 2 week season. This year it has been never ending. Just gotta hope the water doesn't rise next year over this years high or we are in for a lotta trouble!

Guest Sundancefisher
The first frost will soon be here boys, it will clear these little buggers up.

So what you are saying is...Calgary has not had a day over 29 degrees so far this year...we have had a ton of rain...it has been way colder than normal...and the mosquitoes have taken over the city in the late afternoon/early evening...and you try to make us feel better by noting we will be ice fishing soon.

LOL

I like ice fishing...

So what you are saying is...Calgary has not had a day over 29 degrees so far this year...we have had a ton of rain...it has been way colder than normal...and the mosquitoes have taken over the city in the late afternoon/early evening...and you try to make us feel better by noting we will be ice fishing soon.

LOL

I like ice fishing...

Ice fishing, why not just normal fishing on the bow during the winter time?

I also use bug sprey and the pest don't bother me.

On a side note I will take skidders any day over the Nosiems you find in BC. I have scares from their bities from the begining of the month when I was on vacation in BC

Or the clouds of Blackflies in northern Ontario

On a side note I will take skidders any day over the Nosiems you find in BC. I have scares from their bities from the begining of the month when I was on vacation in BC

Guest Sundancefisher

I worked up in Fort Mac area one summer. When I went to the hotel at the end of a day in the field people thought I have been beat up badly. When I looked in the mirror there was blood dripping down my face. The bugs had feasted along the rim of my hat wear I had not put deet on.

Still...I hate putting repelent on. It really can't be good for you. But sometimes one must.

It's awful. I got murdered by em coming off the sheep last saturday.

Wow...just...WOW!!!

I mean, I've heard lots of jokes about guys & sheep(I am from Newfoundland, after all), but you're the first person I know who will just come out & admit to it. Bravo, Dave. Bravo... :angel:smail:

Wow...just...WOW!!!

I mean, I've heard lots of jokes about guys & sheep(I am from Newfoundland, after all), but you're the first person I know who will just come out & admit to it. Bravo, Dave. Bravo... :angel:smail:

No No Bob....if that was the case, he would have said "on" and not "off". Gheesh...it's all in the wording.

There is not a single Black Fly, Mosquito, or Noseeum, here in Alberta, or BC for that matter

Scroll down

They are all married and have a QUADRILLION Kids.. QUADRILLION it is a real #, there is a guy in the states suing for 60+ Quadrillion $

There is not a single Black Fly, Mosquito, or Noseeum, here in Alberta, or BC for that matter

They are all married and have a QUADRILLION Kids.. QUADRILLION it is a real #, there is a guy in the states suing for 60+ Quadrillion $

Yes, Quadrillion is after trillion.

And I thought you were kidding about the lawsuit:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22571349/

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=5550...amp;post=550014

:blink:

Sundancefisher estimates the number of mosquito's in Calgary's greater metro is somewhere near 6.5 sextillion (just because he likes the word "sex").

But don't forget the mother of all numbers: a "googol" which is a 1 followed by a hundred zeros, or better yet, a googolplex, which is 10 to the power of googol.

By the way, according to Wiki, the total world/global gdp was pegged at about 70 trillion in 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_economy).

Since this an irresistable teaching moment for a mathgeek like me, here is a table of numbers:

# zeros = name (U.S. & scientific community)

3 = thousand

6 = million

9 = billion

12 = trillion

15 = quadrillion

18 = quintillion

21 = sextillion

24 = septillion

27 = octillion

30 = nonillion

33 = decillion

36 =undecillion

39 = duodecillion

42 = tredecillion

45 = quattuordecillion

48 = quindecillion

51 = sexdecillion

54 = septendecillion

57 = octodecillion

60 = novemdecillion

63 = vigintillion

66 - 120 = undecillion

Today's educational moment brought to you by Kellog's, the FFC, and the Smitty's House of Fantastically and Fundamentally Useless Knowledge. You're welcome.

:D

Smitty

Mike,

You just can't wait to get back into the classroom, eh!! Obviously you never did recover your lost fly rod, b/c it's obvious you didn't do enough fishing with all the time you had off!! :P LoL

P

P:

Well thank the Lord for back-up rods! But yeah, I never do seem to go as often as I'd like. Part of the reason I bought a place in a community with a stocked pond.

But I recently used my free trip prize to Rickr's condo. That as fun, and its always really gratifying to find stream fishing in a National Park away from the mainstem rivers.

But yeah! This will be my first FULL (Sept-June) year back after a 5 year absence from teaching. Probably should have never left. I'm subbing, but I like subbing and I'm pretty well respected in a couple of schools. Plus I still have a lot of real estate to take care of, so its all good.

Back to the thread: I tried one of those "Insect Defend Patches" for mosquito's while golfing in Radium, and I thought it was fairly effective.

Smitty

P:

Well thank the Lord for back-up rods! But yeah, I never do seem to go as often as I'd like. Part of the reason I bought a place in a community with a stocked pond.

But I recently used my free trip prize to Rickr's condo. That as fun, and its always really gratifying to find stream fishing in a National Park away from the mainstem rivers.

But yeah! This will be my first FULL (Sept-June) year back after a 5 year absence from teaching. Probably should have never left. I'm subbing, but I like subbing and I'm pretty well respected in a couple of schools. Plus I still have a lot of real estate to take care of, so its all good.

Back to the thread: I tried one of those "Insect Defend Patches" for mosquito's while golfing in Radium, and I thought it was fairly effective.

Smitty

But the bigger question is did the patch work for your hangover? That's the only reason I'd be willing to give it a go <--poke--<

P:

Smitty

Dates, and maybe some bull trout, available in September. I'm just sayin.

And to stay topical, very few mosquitoes. There are some sheep though......