Fly Fusion Forums

Good Fishing Spots Accessible By Horseback?

Hi everyone

I'm new to the forum and this my first year fly fishing. I was out this last saturday enjoying the beautiful weather via the back of a horse in K-country and my brothers and I were thinking it would be nice to do a trail ride that led to a good fishing spot. Anybody know of any good destinations near Calgary for such an adventure?

I have heard Loomis lake might be a good option??

Thanks, hopefully i'll bump into some of you on the river..

There are several spots a few hours from Calgary west of Sundre that we have ridden to. In particular Dormer and Eagle lakes near the Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch are in great trail ride country. Eagle lake has some monster brook trout, it is about a 4 km ride or hike but can be difficult to fish from shore so a boat ( belly, inflatable raft etc) of some sort would be beneficial. You can also check the streams and rivers in that area including the upper reaches of the Red Deer river as well as the Panther river....usually don't publish names but these should be far enough and high enough to keep the lazy hords away...enjoy...sk

There are several spots a few hours from Calgary west of Sundre that we have ridden to. In particular Dormer and Eagle lakes near the Ya-Ha-Tinda Ranch are in great trail ride country. Eagle lake has some monster brook trout, it is about a 4 km ride or hike but can be difficult to fish from shore so a boat ( belly, inflatable raft etc) of some sort would be beneficial. You can also check the streams and rivers in that area including the upper reaches of the Red Deer river as well as the Panther river....usually don't publish names but these should be far enough and high enough to keep the lazy hords away...enjoy...sk

Cuts in Eagle , Brookies in Dormer

Guest 420FLYFISHIN

Tomb Stone would be a great ride and you can take your horses all most right to the waters edge. The tie up stalls are good and maintained too.

An appy lover!?!

My sister-in-law rides her's (a Nez Pearce Appy) all through the forestry near Cochrane, but I'm not sure what creeks she encounters. I have yet to convince her to take up a fly rod, but I'm working on her daughter.

Good luck

Harps, believe it or not, I do have a soft spot for appy's. Keep working on your sister in law.

Y'all know why the Natives liked to ride an appaloosa when goin' into battle??

So they'd be good'n pissed off when they got to the fight....

You could try Grizzly lake for brookies down by Pincher Creek. The access is by Beaver mines lake and the southcastle valley, I don't remember how far. I hiked it last year and ran into some people from the crowsnest trail riders assoc.( I think) that were doing some trail clearing with the SRD. The trail was pretty good in september except for a couple tighter aspen sections. There's a pvc pipe container with a journal in it that goes back a few years at the campsite. Lots of brookies but you might want to think about a belly boat if you can. Good luck