Fly Fusion Forums

Remember You're In Bear Country.

300mm lens and I had my VW between him and I. Scary thing is he likes the area near one of my fav fishing spots but he's into cake and sometimes we sit and eat cake and shoot the *hit. We're cool that way. One time he was telling me about how his uncle made some Fly Fisherman wiz his pants streamside and we had a good chuckle over that tale. <--poke--<

I had a young bear do that to me a couple of years ago on the Oldman. I was inadvertently lucky in that I had a fish on the line when the bear charged ,did not have eye to eye contact. Which I found out later from a bear cop is key in avoiding a full out attack. Funny thing is, I told that story to a friend of mine and he had the same bear charge him in the same location. Which really does tell you they are creaures of habit, just like us.

Try this guy on for size.

Saw him on Sunday happily munching on grass and dandelions near Spillway lake. He mostly ignored the other vehicles on the road - including two people on Mountain bikes. Even had some park staff trying to move him on by banging their doors and honking their horns. It wasn't that effective, as we saw him again an hour and a half later 50 yards west from this area.

~Scribe

few201006202768.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Ya I'm thinking he is four maybe Five max??? And I'm sure he's the same one I ran into a few times last year.

Late June 2009

LateJune09051.jpg

June 2010

nikonJune076.jpg

Looks pretty similar to the one we saw in 2007 too:

IMG_3746.jpg

IMG_37451.jpg

Maybe they're bros..

I had a young bear do that to me a couple of years ago on the Oldman. I was inadvertently lucky in that I had a fish on the line when the bear charged ,did not have eye to eye contact. Which I found out later from a bear cop is key in avoiding a full out attack. Funny thing is, I told that story to a friend of mine and he had the same bear charge him in the same location. Which really does tell you they are creaures of habit, just like us.

That is the reason I have a digital camera now, the first time I took my wife fly fishing on the Oldman, we fished for a bout 5 hrs and she went to the Jeep to get lunch,well she saw a young bear, come out of the woods on the other side of the river and then come through the field and hit the opposite river bank then head for where I was fishing, she yelled I thought I heard something and then she yelled again, still not sure I did nothing , the third time she yelled I understood her, I thought she had the bear up with her, so there I go 9 ft 6wt and a 8in knife, up the bank , she was at the top of the bank looking at me and pointing at the bear who is now across the river from where I just was! we watched the bear pace up and down the bank and then head back to the field and woods. Funny she still will not fly fish that section of the Oldman with me?

Pm me to see if it is the same area if you want!

Ohh yes the digi camera, she wanted proof for the insurance company, when I do not come home from Fly fishing, she hopes I get pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is the reason I have a digital camera now, the first time I took my wife fly fishing on the Oldman, we fished for a bout 5 hrs and she went to the Jeep to get lunch,well she saw a young bear, come out of the woods on the other side of the river and then come through the field and hit the opposite river bank then head for where I was fishing, she yelled I thought I heard something and then she yelled again, still not sure I did nothing , the third time she yelled I understood her, I thought she had the bear up with her, so there I go 9 ft 6wt and a 8in knife, up the bank , she was at the top of the bank looking at me and pointing at the bear who is now across the river from where I just was! we watched the bear pace up and down the bank and then head back to the field and woods. Funny she still will not fly fish that section of the Oldman with me?

Pm me to see if it is the same area if you want!

Ohh yes the digi camera, she wanted proof for the insurance company, when I do not come home from Fly fishing, she hopes I get pictures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bear banger or hand gun? How come i'm not allowed to carry mine in the bush?