Fly Fusion Forums

Enforcement

Called in two separate times yesterday within 5 minutes of each other.. was driving out by Bragg Creek and saw 2 different guys fishing the Elbow River in 2 different spots. Hopefully they caught the jerks.

The RAP line is a fisheries management tool.

Please feel free to use it!!

1-800-642-3800

It does work and you can be rewarded with cash!!!!

No it doesn't, it's a joke. RAP is a way to pacify us by showing the SRD is "doing something" about the problems of poaching.

The money used for the system should be used to put more feet on the ground, not pay people to answer reports just to throw them in the garbage.

I called them twice last week to report the same dudes chucking bait on 2 seperate times both times my call wasn't returned; fish were killed and the offenders walked out with their garbage bags of brown trouts, you're doing wonders for the resource RAP.

I have called 4 times this season where the offenders were caught; I was called back each time saying I would be given a reward...... months have gone by and I'm still waiting, I was going to happily donate the cash to Stream Watch

If the SRD is going to advertise the RAP program the way they are they need to get their heads out of their asses and actually follow through with the program's mandate.

NOTE I think the COs are doing a great job while being hobbled by cutbacks, they have my out most grattitude.

Guest frypan
No it doesn't, it's a joke. RAP is a way to pacify us by showing the SRD is "doing something" about the problems of poaching.

The money used for the system should be used to put more feet on the ground, not pay people to answer reports just to throw them in the garbage.

I called them twice last week to report the same dudes chucking bait on 2 seperate times both times my call wasn't returned; fish were killed and the offenders walked out with their garbage bags of brown trouts, you're doing wonders for the resource RAP.

I have called 4 times this season where the offenders were caught; I was called back each time saying I would be given a reward...... months have gone by and I'm still waiting, I was going to happily donate the cash to Stream Watch

If the SRD is going to advertise the RAP program the way they are they need to get their heads out of their asses and actually follow through with the program's mandate.

NOTE I think the COs are doing a great job while being hobbled by cutbacks, they have my out most grattitude.

i agree wit you

if i was a co i would weAR street clothes and go for a river or lake walk . lotsa busts doign it this way

ps- co's if your reading this if my barb looks pinched it is. no need to run line over it to feel . oh ya, the hooks don thave to be pinchd in my tackle box eithre. it gets old real quick

The charges have to work their way through the courts before you will be paid. Only when the fine is confirmed by a guilty plea or a judge finds them guilty will you receive your money. If they get off then no fine and no reward - arrest and conviction?

I received my reward several months after the incident.

Has the province ever tried some type of volunteer ranger program? I know there are legality issues, but there are countless numbers of us on the river every day. In essence, we are the "frontline" encountering poachers, etc. and it makes reasonable sense to provide some type of outlet for us to be able to help conserve our resources.

The charges have to work their way through the courts before you will be paid. Only when the fine is confirmed by a guilty plea or a judge finds them guilty will you receive your money. If they get off then no fine and no reward - arrest and conviction?

I received my reward several months after the incident.

Herein lies my concerns. Why so many charges but so few convictions?

Hey Tightline I was thinking the same thing totally. Get some guys that are spending 200 plus days on the water fishing and watch what happens. You could get "deputized" or "knighted" somehow. We could be the green berets of fish law enforcement. I know the idea sounds half-cooked, but I think it would be awesome.

"Hey boys...what ya got there? Looks like a pickeral rig with powerbait!" BAM! Ya got 'em!

Yeah the Bow River "Guardian Angels"!! LoL

P

Hey Tightline I was thinking the same thing totally. Get some guys that are spending 200 plus days on the water fishing and watch what happens. You could get "deputized" or "knighted" somehow. We could be the green berets of fish law enforcement. I know the idea sounds half-cooked, but I think it would be awesome.

"Hey boys...what ya got there? Looks like a pickeral rig with powerbait!" BAM! Ya got 'em!

Great idea and I would fully support that for those who are out and about 200 days a year.

But, how would you be compensated? Would you expect to be paid for your efforts or would it be done via volunteering? And, if so, because you aren't being paid, would that make you an official officer? If not, how could the charges possibly stand up in court? There are few enough convictions as it is, although, this would likely drastically increase awareness, it would also increase the number of hearings that end up going nowhere and tying up taxpayers dollars.

Just being devil's advocate here. I really do like the idea as it would increase awareness and likely scare the crap out of the offenders who know they are breaking the rules hoping to get away with it, because that guy across the river from them may just be a "CO".

FNG and others make a good point, if people get written up but never convicted, how will that deter them from doing it again? While I'm all for education, I believe the best kind is one that kicks you in the a*&, whether it be your wallet or gear. How many of us know when to do/not do something, but until we actually mess up do we learn our lesson (e.g. speeding tickets, etc.). I would be all for paying extra $$ for my license (we have the cheapest deal in Canada!), as long as 100% of those extra funds go into enforcement and protection of our rivers. Also, perhaps we need to look at the system. I'm not sure what the process is, but perhaps once a CO catches someone they hand out a ticket and take their gear away (like a drunk driver). Then, the only reason why a person would not pay the fine is if they contested it in court-like a traffic ticket. Make it more CO favorable and less poacher favorable.

Guest frypan

f&w have the lowest convictoin rate compared to other oficers

again , under cover they would see a huge incresse in the convictoins . dress the part, fake pony tale, jean jacket and bring a big fat wive wearign tank top and no bra, walk around the poaching holes with a batecatster, pickral rig and a lawn chair, and you could bust lots of these guys in a day . it wold be a fun job .

it is legal to posess all item that is required to poach fish, treble hook, worm, all bait etc they have to catch these clowns in the act wit it on the line in the water and bate on the hook , or a fish in the cooler, ect.

ever wonder why the bait chukers almost all ways smoke when they fish the bow ? to burn the line to the evidense . i dont get why there wive is alnost always at least 100 lb over weight thuogh ?

Guest frypan
...good idea there frypan...undercover...you could roll up to some lake or river in your old white Econoline van packed with gear too.

how do you know what i drive ?

FNG and others make a good point, if people get written up but never convicted, how will that deter them from doing it again? While I'm all for education, I believe the best kind is one that kicks you in the a*&, whether it be your wallet or gear. How many of us know when to do/not do something, but until we actually mess up do we learn our lesson (e.g. speeding tickets, etc.). I would be all for paying extra $$ for my license (we have the cheapest deal in Canada!), as long as 100% of those extra funds go into enforcement and protection of our rivers. Also, perhaps we need to look at the system. I'm not sure what the process is, but perhaps once a CO catches someone they hand out a ticket and take their gear away (like a drunk driver). Then, the only reason why a person would not pay the fine is if they contested it in court-like a traffic ticket. Make it more CO favorable and less poacher favorable.

i was in fish creek park on may long got hit up by a CO so i showed him everything and all was good. we cahtted for a little while and he had probably about 15 to 20 rods in his arms that he took away from poachers. half were fly rods and half were spinners. i could not believe he had that many and he said he had more in the truck already. some pretty nnice sage rods in the mix as well. I sure hope all those idiots learned their lesson and play by the rules. i know i would if i lost my rod.

Guest frypan
i was in fish creek park on may long got hit up by a CO so i showed him everything and all was good. we cahtted for a little while and he had probably about 15 to 20 rods in his arms that he took away from poachers. half were fly rods and half were spinners. i could not believe he had that many and he said he had more in the truck already. some pretty nnice sage rods in the mix as well. I sure hope all those idiots learned their lesson and play by the rules. i know i would if i lost my rod.

15-20 rod in his arms ? more in the truck ?

soem sage rods ? half fly rods?

you spiin a good story ...

15-20 rod in his arms ? more in the truck ?

soem sage rods ? half fly rods?

you spiin a good story ...

Fry:

Is it so hard to believe that flyrodders poach too? Sounds like you're a...well... let's just say its starts with "e" and rhymes with falitist...

Smitty

Guest frypan
Fry:

Is it so hard to believe that flyrodders poach too? Sounds like you're a...well... let's just say its starts with "e" and rhymes with falitist...

Smitty

trust me , far from elitest

i find it a stretch that a co had 20 rods in his arm with more in the truck , fly spin or what ever !

could you imagin walking around with 20 rod and reel in your arm ?

sounds like a story man , that is my what i questoin

sounds like you are lullable , but starts with a " G"

ps- no tooth ferry either