Fly Fusion Forums

Hoppers?

EdB

Is there a certain kind/size of hopper that is best. I'm kind of new to this game and am not sure of all the flies and patterns. I may even have a hopper but don't even notice. Also by dropper it can mean about anything right? San juan, nymph that type of thing.

Is there a certain kind/size of hopper that is best. I'm kind of new to this game and am not sure of all the flies and patterns. I may even have a hopper but don't even notice. Also by dropper it can mean about anything right? San juan, nymph that type of thing.

There have been 3 or 4 hopper threads recently, try doing a search.

You need a hopper that's big enough to float the nymph. I like a #8 or even a #6, tied parachute style.

I tie all of my droppers with tungsten beads to get them down in a hurry. Most people fish the banks with them, which is good - but I caught my best brown and several monster rainbows on the Bow picking small pockets with the rig. Lots of fish this time of year will sit in small depressions or behind rocks in less than 2' of water, and if you're not careful you wind up putting the nymph right over their heads instead of right in front of their face.

I just tie a big old 3 pronged hook to my hopper and when he comes up for the dry BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM.

See what dirtbiking does to people? SJW, I would think if the hopper is big enough you may be able to get two treble hooks (that's what us meat chuckers call a "3 pronged hook") on it. Maybe tipped with some of Troutlover's maggots. The trout wouldn't stand a chance.

If you are looking for a good hopper pattern, simply walk the bank and take a look at them. There are a few species with different colors, sizes, profile. Drop one in the water to see how it reacts, drifts, sinks, to get an idea of what the trout are seeing. This will give you a better understanding of fishing with hoppers, then anyone telling you what the hot fly is today.

ps. There sure are a lot of crickets along the Bow this summer...take a look, I'm sure the trout have.

If you are looking for a good hopper pattern, simply walk the bank and take a look at them. There are a few species with different colors, sizes, profile. Drop one in the water to see how it reacts, drifts, sinks, to get an idea of what the trout are seeing. This will give you a better understanding of fishing with hoppers, then anyone telling you what the hot fly is today.

ps. There sure are a lot of crickets along the Bow this summer...take a look, I'm sure the trout have.

Thanks toolman... I might try learning to tie my own this winter.

Try this Stimulator pattern (Also in orange. olive with a darker olive thorax, and black)

Yellow will imitate Hoppers, Golden Stones ,Yellow Sallies, Caddis.

Orange; Hoppers, Salmon Fly.

Olive; Hoppers, Lime Sallies, Caddis.

Black;Hoppers (beleive it or not), Swalla stone, and Caddis.

All depending on size ,so you have to tie a lot, but believe me it's worth it

post-950-1188066402.jpg

Hey Thnaks......You tie all of those? They look great. Is it expensive to get into tieing?

Depends how you approach it. You do need an outlay of equipment and materials. Just slip down to a local fly shop and you can get an Idea of costs. If you do a search on the old forum I did an article on fly tying. Let me know if you can't find it and I'll post it again.