Fly Fusion Forums

Wacky Catches

so i got out on the river for a bit tonight and had a catch i never in a million years thought i would get. On my back cast a bat took my fly. I then threw him into the water on the forward cast and had to reel him back in. What a catch for a fly rod! Last year i had something simmilar i caught a rainbow about 14 inches long and when i was bringing him in an eagle stole it. My battle was now airborne for several minutes as i battle the shear strength of the eagles talons. So i figured i would post my two scenarios and hopefully start a thread on wacky things caught. Feel free to add to this and see if we can one up each other.

I caught a bird last summer on my backcast. CDock was with me to confirm. It was pretty fun trying to get him unhooked and let him go!!

A bat! That's even cooler because you know he went after your fly intentionally!!

I caught a bird last summer on my backcast. CDock was with me to confirm. It was pretty fun trying to get him unhooked and let him go!!

A bat! That's even cooler because you know he went after your fly intentionally!!

one other thing i caught which was not cool at all, was a condom. Thats right a condom. I was fishing just below a treatment plant (which i now question how well it is treating water) and just finished my swing and was letting my streamer dangle and then it hooked a condom floating by. needless to say that fly was dead to me at that point.

witnessed a client pick a squirrel clean out of a big bushy pine tree on his backcast...

you ever heard a frightened scared squirrel and the sound it makes as it flies though the air against it's own will? I still break up laffin every time I think of this :lol:

A had a dragon fly try to carry away a mosquito one day on an alpine lake- was pretty cool to watch it keep trying but it could only get about 3/4 of the leader off the water. after a minute of so it dropped the fly.

Back cast into my elkhound once, luckily she listened to "STAY !" before reaching the end of the slack.

witnessed a client pick a squirrel clean out of a big bushy pine tree on his backcast...

you ever heard a frightened scared squirrel and the sound it makes as it flies though the air against it's own will? I still break up laffin every time I think of this :lol:

nice. i like that one.

A had a dragon fly try to carry away a mosquito one day on an alpine lake- was pretty cool to watch it keep trying but it could only get about 3/4 of the leader off the water. after a minute of so it dropped the fly.

I was teachingmy wife to cast for the first time and she hooked a dragonfly in the but in the back cast and she threw it into the water not realizing it. A trout went for it. She reeled in the line and made her first catch, a dragonfly. The trout missed it.

that's awewome. had a seagull fly into my car window while i was driving once. other than that. i think the most exciting thing other than fish is a hat

yeah, thats all i got. no so exciting.

i cant even say i caught the matching bra and panty set or a duck skeleton

Not fly fishing, but several years ago I was standing on the stern of a commercial salmon seiner waiting to offload the days catch BSing with 3 other guys, one of whom was buzz bombing for coho. With one awkward looking cast I instinctively ducked, the guy to my left actually heard the bale on the spinning reel click back down so he ducked too. While he and I were looking at each other after hearing the buzz bomb whistle overhead the guy on my right all of a sudden says "is it all the way through?" Sure enough, one point of the treble hook had gone through skin-cartilage-skin on the bridge of his nose. One of the other guys on the boat then went and clipped the other 2 points of the hook away and tried to push then pull the offending hook point out. It made a good case for pinching down barbs because eventually one guy was pulling on the point with vice grips, another guy was pushing on the clipped off hook butt, and third guy was trying to hold the victim's head still. The poor guy had to wait until the next morning to see a Dr. in Bella Bella to have to it removed.